Tape Output for Purist?

WEEZ

Tape Output for Purist?
« on: 25 Sep 2004, 01:47 am »
Curt,

What is the possibility of converting one of the outputs on the Purist to a tape output? If buffering the output would not be possible, maybe just a switch to turn it off when not recording; so as to leave a recorder connected at all times.

(some of us old farts still use a tape deck not only to play old tapes- but to record music mixes for the car-or for get-togethers with friends for background music,etc.)

Thanks,

WEEZ

JoshK

Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2004, 04:49 am »
The purist has seperate line drivers for each of its outputs, so in essense it is buffered.  It just has the volume control in line with the output but you can just turn it up.

Curt

Re: Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2004, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
Curt,

What is the possibility of converting one of the outputs on the Purist to a tape output? If buffering the output would not be possible, maybe just a switch to turn it off when not recording; so as to leave a recorder connected at all times.

(some of us old farts still use a tape deck not only to play old tapes- but to record music mixes for the car-or for get-togethers with friends for background music,etc.)

Thanks,

WEEZ

You can use the second outputs for a tape recorder, just set the gain to zero (feeds the source output at gain = 1X directly to the recorder) and turn the volume all the way up (which equals 0dB=1X). Of course you need to your amps off because the music might be too loud  :D

You can monitor the tunes recording off the source with headphones.

When not recording just turn off (leave it connected 24/7) the tape recorder, it will not effect the sound on the other outputs being feed to your amp(s).

If you don't record everyday this method migh be OK.

WEEZ

Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2004, 02:54 am »
Curt,

thanks for the reply-

WEEZ

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2004, 04:33 am »
Quote from: Curt
You can use the second outputs for a tape recorder, just set the gain to zero (feeds the source output at gain = 1X directly to the recorder) and turn the volume all the way up (which equals 0dB=1X). Of course you need to your amps off because the music might be too loud  :D

When not recording just turn off (leave it connected 24/7) the tape recorder, it will not effect the sound on the other outputs being feed to your amp(s).

Hi Curt, glad to see others would like some form of "record" output. We've talked via email about this. Anyway, isn't there any form of tapping off the one audio stage at the 0DB level, would that cause some degradation in sound quality? Knowing how busy you are, a "record" output is the last thing you have thought of. Ray

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2004, 01:58 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk
Hi Curt, glad to see others would like some form of "record" output. We've talked via email about this. Anyway, isn't there any form of tapping off the one audio stage at the 0DB level, would that cause some degradation in sound quality? Knowing how busy you are, a "record" output is the last thing you have thought of. Ray

Hi Ray,

Read two posts up in this thread. I answered this exact question your asking a few days ago.

The answer is the same answer I gave you in e-mail when we were talking about how to record when using the Purist.

guest1632

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2004, 12:13 am »
Quote from: Curt

When not recording just turn off (leave it connected 24/7) the tape recorder, it will not effect the sound on the other outputs being feed to your amp(s)Hi Curt, This is the one I'M responding to. Somewhere in all our emails you did admit that there is a way of tapping off the output stage, . I think the question was if you used shielded or a twisted pair of wires, what would the capacitance would do to the sound. This can't be that hard to do.  So you use four individual wires, and that would solve that. Probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all, but someone else did.

WEEZ

Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2004, 02:13 am »
Curt,

I was thinking about your reply (solution) to having a recorder connected to the Purist.

Doesn't sound like it could be connected at all times, because when playing tapes- the recorder would be recording it's own output, correct?

What am I missing?

WEEZ

guest1632

Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2004, 04:05 am »
Curt,

I was thinking about your reply (solution) to having a recorder connected to the Purist.

Doesn't sound like it could be connected at all times, because when playing tapes- the recorder would be recording it's own output, correct?
Hi Weez, Well, if you have the imput of the deck plugged in to one of the outputs, and the output of the deck plugged in to one of the imputs on the purist, then when you put the gain to zero, and turn up the volume all the way, you are then just recording what is being fed via the source, a tuner, cdplayer etc. That's all there is to it.

Ray

What am I missing?

WEEZ

Curt

Tape Output for Purist?
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2004, 09:01 am »
Curt,

What am I missing?

WEEZ

When you record the tape player's input is read but when you play a tape the tape recorder's input is ignored. Played music comes out the tape player's output.

You would not be recording at all (the tape player input connection can stay hooked up all the time) when listening to tapes. Just feed the tape player output into a Purist source input like any other source device.