Can someone please identify the system?

asliarun

Can someone please identify the system?
« on: 23 Feb 2015, 11:52 pm »
I could not figure out if this is the right circle to post (and if not, apologies), but I am looking for some help in identifying a possibly vintage audio system that I saw on a TV series.

I just finished watching watching Bosch which is an Amazon original and based on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch detective books.

In the TV series, Harry Bosch has a very interesting vintage looking vinyl audio setup. (There's also some jazz that he plays in some of the episodes.) I tried very hard to figure out what the various components were, was but could only make out some very interesting looking floorstanders, a Marantz (?) turntable, a tube amp (possibly McIntosh), and a vintage receiver.

Here are some screenshots. Can someone please help identify any of these components?

http://imgur.com/HxPwrv7

http://imgur.com/cvFAMph,NuGS3Bu

http://imgur.com/cvFAMph,NuGS3Bu

http://imgur.com/2f5B5xj

Oh, and one of the songs that Bosch plays is Patricia by Art Pepper.
I have very little knowledge of jazz but that was some nice music!

Thanks,
Arun

low.pfile

Re: Can someone please identify the system?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:08 am »
Speakers are Ohm Walsh.

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:12 am »
I can't identify the tuner or turntable, but the amp on the right is a McIntosh 240 and the speakers are from Ohm Acoustics.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:16 am »
As said previously : the amp says Mcintosh 240, so that seems clear.  And the speakers do look like Ohm Walsh.

The Preamp / tuner appears to be a Mcintosh MX110. 

Not sure on the TT. Edit : but it does look like a Marantz 6300 TT.....

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:37 am »

Oh, and one of the songs that Bosch plays is Patricia by Art Pepper.
I have very little knowledge of jazz but that was some nice music!

Thanks,
Arun
Arun,
I hadn't heard Art Pepper before about 4 months ago, and. I'm hooked.  I highly recommend Blues for Fisherman on CD--it's brilliant.
AC

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:25 am »
ACHiPo- Also check out (if you haven't already) 'Straight Life', made just a few years before his death, not as flashy as his early stuff but oh, the feeling he puts into every note.

Back to the system depicted- I can only imagine how bad omnis must sound in a space with all that glass... And why is the tube power amp there, but no preamp, guess they put together whatever they could for the scene.

DFaulds

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:21 pm »
Back to the system depicted- I can only imagine how bad omnis must sound in a space with all that glass... And why is the tube power amp there, but no preamp, guess they put together whatever they could for the scene.

As another poster noted, it’s a Mac MX110 tuner/preamp.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:42 pm »
Aha! Thanks. Missed that. Don't recall encountering very many tuner/preamps (although it seems like a good idea).

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:44 pm »
Nice bits of detective work, all. Surprisingly conservative kit for someone living in what looks like one of the Case Study Houses...

asliarun

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:36 pm »
Thank you so very much! I was amazed at how quickly you were able to figure this out, especially since the screenshots weren't all that good.

I will also check out the other Art Pepper works you have suggested.

The back-story on the fabulous apartment is that Bosch makes some money from a movie that was made based on him. So he is able to splurge and buy that apartment. He otherwise lives a fairly ordinary non-flashy life. It really is a well made series - and definitely worth watching if you like police/detective series. In the series, he also talks passionately about jazz and music, especially when he tries to educate his daughter on jazz and good music, which is why I was so interested in knowing what the system was. It is not often that TV producers or script writers pay this much attention to detail when it comes to an audio setup. They normally throw in a fancy looking speaker to make the set look "cool". And I also appreciated that even with the bad room acoustics, at least the speakers weren't placed right against the wall as is normally the case.

Thanks once again,
Arun