AT-LP120 USB Anti Skating (again)

filipetolhuizen

AT-LP120 USB Anti Skating (again)
« on: 11 Feb 2015, 10:26 pm »
First of all hello to everyone,
I came here because I heard someone here was able to improvise a fix for the AS problem of this TT. The pictures on the original topic are broken links. I'd really like to see how he did this, but any other improvised or permanent solution for this problem is very welcome. Thank you all in advance.
Best regards,
Filipe

Wayner

Re: AT-LP120 USB Anti Skating (again)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2015, 02:31 am »
Hi,

I designed a dead-man weight for this table and it works pretty good. If you can follow the pictures:

The red plastic bead is epoxied to the structure holding the bearings. The weight is a lead fishing weight.
One end of the 4 pound test fishing line is attached to the tonearm swivel, fed into and thru the red bead, then thru fishing weight, then back up thru and tied to the red bead that is epoxied to the structure. I can't remember the weight of the lead weight. If I find the same one around here, I will weigh it and post the results.

Wayner

filipetolhuizen

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »
Neat! Thanks a lot! That was already very helpful indeed!

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:00 pm »
I think the weight I used might have been a 3/8" ball bearing with a hole thru it rather then a fishing weight. I had some, but must have thrown them out when cleaning one day. I no longer own the AT. Sorry I can't help much more. Maybe you have a better idea, but could start with this one and improve on it.

I had a dead-man weight (like on Pro-ject, others) turntable on my Empire that worked pretty good too, but then I discovered that if I cranked the arm assembly more to the outboard side, it would stretch the anti-skate spring better (it had stretched over the years) and would behave acceptably, so I removed my dead-man.

Here is a dead-man on a Marantz table:

Here is the one on my Empire:

Wayner