Why is battery to battery charging so much faster than wall outlet?

Rclark

I have an Akers 15,000 mAh external battery with 1 and 2 amp outlets. 2 amp is for tablets, 1 amp for phones.

When I use the 1 amp outlet to charge my phone it is an order of magnitude faster than any wall socket charger I own. I can go from deeply empty to bang out full in very rapid time. Wall outlet is very slow by comparison.

mikeeastman

the wall charger is probably only putting out mAhs, so it will take longer. You maybe over charging the battery with the i amp though, you should get the max recommended charging amps for that battery. Based on the charging rates for off the grid batteries the 1 amp is way to much.

randytsuch

the wall charger is probably only putting out mAhs, so it will take longer. You maybe over charging the battery with the i amp though, you should get the max recommended charging amps for that battery. Based on the charging rates for off the grid batteries the 1 amp is way to much.

1 amp is the USB spec.  So if a device(phone) is designed to be charged over usb, it should current limit so it doesn't damage the battery.  If this was a "raw" battery, I would agree about the current.

It could be that you wall charger doesn't put out the 1a of current you're getting from the battery, I would suspect this if cheap chargers.