Cary Rocket-88 Stereo push-pull tube amp

nathanm

« on: 20 Sep 2004, 04:40 am »

Cary Rocket-88 stereo push-pull tube amp in great condition. Switches for Triode or Ultralinear mode, plus 4 or 8 ohm taps, all switchable on the fly without having to power down. The input sensitivity on this amp is lower than normal so if your current system has a bit too much gain or maybe you are using high sensitivity speakers, then here's your amp! Otherwise if you want to get loud with this amp you will need an active preamp. I used it successfully with a passive (Monolithic PA-1) however I had more headroom with an active preamp. Basically if you have an active preamp you could skip the "R" version of this amp which is much more expensive since it seems all they did was add the gain stage missing from the earlier version. However, I have not compared the two so that is merely an assumption. All I know is that this is a dang fine amp. I have two of them actually and will be keeping one of them.

The amp will be shipped with ALL tubes removed, including the internal green eye tubes, so there will be some minor assembly required.  This will give you a chance to check out all the zany point-to-point circuitry inside and of course allow for a good zap or two if you forget to unplug it! :o

Another cool part they don't immediately tell you about is that you don't HAVE to use KT-88s for the output tubes, you can also use EL34s, 6L6s etc.  I intend to try this on mine sometime.

Keep your listening room a little warmer and cozier this coming winter with this mighty chunk of high fidelity iron.

$1400.00 obo shipped within US or Canada.  Accept +3% PayPal to saruman@execpc.com or e-mail me for mailing address for Check\MO.  Comes with original boxes.  Ex-Nigerian government officials can contact me for my bank's routing number for automatic transfer.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2004, 06:19 am »
I hope you're selling the amp to raise the funds for new carpet. :lol:

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2004, 06:35 am »
Don't be dissin' the mighty shag (again)!  :nono: It looks much cooler in real life, and if you want ugly carpet you should see what's beneath that!  Plus the photo is lousy, the camera I used was damaged and I had to ressurect the image in Photoshop.  The amp is in grade A condition, though! :)

BeeBop

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2004, 09:44 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I hope you're selling the amp to raise the funds for new carpet.

Goes great with the purple paint job IMHO.

djbnh

• www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98162
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2004, 11:42 am »
Is that carpet? I thought it was pasta with pesto sauce... :wink:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2004, 05:08 pm »
In my Rocket 88.....
    See....it's purple... :jester: [/list:u]

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2004, 07:49 pm »
See folks, upsampling ain't all it's cracked up to be! :P

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2004, 06:53 pm »
$1299 + shipping.  You know you want it.  Give in to temptation! :hyper:  I wouldn't lie to you folks, this amp is one bad mutha.  It's like your ears are being kissed by faeries and poked by goblins all at the same time!  Can't hardly get that anymore...

I will throw in a quartet of free blue bottle JJ EL34s as a special bonus in addition to the Ruby tubes KT-88s, just for my dear friends at AudioCircle.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2004, 05:33 pm »
For a limited time only I will include at no charge to you, this set of bubinga-handled, C37-laquered steak knives which can cut through solid dolomite and still be able to carve a jack-o-latern face into a tomato with surgical precision.  Use these to defend yourself from rival audiophiles trying to snatch your amp away once they hear its majesty. (insofar as a 60lb. amplifier can be "snatched" that is.)

So how much would YOU pay for the opportunity to CRANK IT UP and not damage you or your speakers?  The Rocket-88 makes it all possible.  You know darn well those lower registers of the volume control are wreaking havoc on your sound.  You know darn well you'd get more even channel balance if only you could turn it up beyond 9:00 without the cops showing up.  With this amp if the cops do show up they'll be mesermized by the flashing electric light show and not have the heart to bust you for the noise violation.  That at the very least is worth $1299 plus shipping, aina?

nathanm

fine, have it your way you cheap bastards
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2004, 04:52 pm »
$999.99

All proceeds will go to benefit the Southeastern Wisconsin Financial Disaster Relief Fund.

Featured