How's this for Cheap & Cheerful speakers: Edifier R1700BT actives with remote?

JohanH

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-studio/r1700bt

Sparked my interest.
Seem to be going for about €150 a pair and sometimes deals at 120,-

Cheers,
Johan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Looks good, but....

Lack of details, images for this model.  Other models in their studio line show back side images revealing:

1.)  Super cheap clip on speaker leads;
2.)  High level (speaker) connections indicates they are powered designs, not active (false advertising);
3.)  Thin (maybe 3/8 inch) side/top/bottom panels (that would produce excessive cabinet self-noise);
4.)  The apparently higher level models show heat sinks, quality speaker connections, but still lack studio standard XLR inputs, and state having a 5.5 inch "subwoofer/bass unit";
5.)  "Real" studio monitors don't have wood grain/piano finish cabinets or grills.

Seems like a "want to be" crossover between cheap "computer speakers" and true studio monitors.  I'd be suspicious of them being more "show than go," (feature heavy, quality light) but I'm no expert of speakers at this price range.  Going up scale I'd recommend looking at:

1.)  Audioengine A2+ ($250/pair, very small powered 2-way, F3= 65 Hz, built-in DAC, subwoofer output)
2.)  NuForce S3-BT ($300/pair, smaller powered 2-way, Bluetooth, F3 = 50 Hz, great wireless performance, smooth warmth, pristine treble, but limited ultimate volume levels)
3.)  PSB Alpha PS1 ($300/pair, very small powered 2-way, F3 = 80 Hz, subwoofer output, wide sweet spot, clean, clear, delicate, reportedly used by Paul Barton himself)

JohanH

Google picture search shows this.

As it's class D I'm not surprised to not see cooling fins.

There's some favourable reviews and freq. response and distortion curves available as well that don't look too shabby for the price point.
I don't need them but I think I would bite if I had a use for them.

Cheers,
Johan

JohanH

Found some more pics:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Big magnet on woofer, almost no meaningful stuffing/lining of cabinet, otherwise about what I'd expect at this price range.

Frequency response curve looks like the speaker is aimed at the mass market (exaggerated highs and lows).  Not impressed with +/- 6 dB specification/graph either (especially that significant dip in the midrange).

How much are those acclaimed Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers where you're at?  (About the same price I'd guess, see thread directly below.)

JohanH

I get it; you don't like them.
They are of course far from perfect: I just thought they looked like a good deal for the money.
Apart from that no interest

Those Pioneers are not available in Europe afaik and not active

Stuffing can be added and treble and bass can be adjusted.

fredgarvin

The measurements look good. As you noted they would be easy to mod, stiffen etc.  DSP, especially nice in this type of set up. Hard to beat that price. Someone should try a pair.  :thumb:

JohanH

Ordered a set.
Will report back.

Cheers,
Johan

JohanH

Arrived yesterday.
So far not bad; they're replacing Charlize powered Focal DIY 2-ways.
Well-constructed but will add some stuffing and anti-resonance damping mats I had laying around later.
One negative is that you cannot switch between rear PC and aux in.
Best to use just one input and switch elsewhere.

Definitely cheap and certainly cheerful

Cheers,
Johan