LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Re: LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"
« Reply #60 on: 17 Mar 2015, 01:14 am »
What other tubes do you guys plan on using in the tube stage?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #61 on: 17 Mar 2015, 03:48 pm »
What other tubes do you guys plan on using in the tube stage?

Hi MP,

With the LIO Tubestage, you can tube roll with any of the following:

6922/E88CC, 6DJ8/ECC88, 7308/E188CC, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

« Reply #62 on: 18 Mar 2015, 03:10 pm »
Hi MP,

With the LIO Tubestage, you can tube roll with any of the following:

6922/E88CC, 6DJ8/ECC88, 7308/E188CC, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8

Vinnie

I'm very familiar with 6L6 and EL34/84 due to my Marshall addiction, but I'm not really familiar at all with this application for tubes.  I can't really roll in any of my Marshalls, since they're sort of spec'd out on a particular tube. 

Soooo, if I wanted an even fuller, more bass present sound for the tube stage, which ones should I start trying out?  Thanks!
Matthew

roscoeiii

« Reply #63 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:18 pm »
I'm very familiar with 6L6 and EL34/84 due to my Marshall addiction, but I'm not really familiar at all with this application for tubes.  I can't really roll in any of my Marshalls, since they're sort of spec'd out on a particular tube. 

Soooo, if I wanted an even fuller, more bass present sound for the tube stage, which ones should I start trying out?  Thanks!
Matthew

You might get good advice here. Otherwise you might also want you talk to Jim McShane (he's active on Audio Asylum) or Kevin at Upscale Audio.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #64 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:08 pm »
Hi MP,

Please check out the following link to the Red Wine Audio LFP-V Edition (also a tube buffer stage) tube rolling, here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91642.0

I've only tried a few of those tubes with LIO, but the changes in sound closely mirror how the sound changes with
the LFP-V stage.

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

« Reply #65 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:16 pm »
Thx guys

firedog

« Reply #66 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:25 pm »
Vinnie-
Any thought on the option of an I2S input for the DAC (HDMI style) so to be compatible with PSAudio and W4S equipment and some other equipment in the hi-end market?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #67 on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:19 pm »
Vinnie-
Any thought on the option of an I2S input for the DAC (HDMI style) so to be compatible with PSAudio and W4S equipment and some other equipment in the hi-end market?

Hi firedog,

I have not thought of offering this - but now it is on my radar. 

If there is enough interest, I will consider it for future dac iterations.

thank you,

Vinnie

dolstein

« Reply #68 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:35 pm »
In addition to a wireless audio/streaming module, I'd like to see an updated DAC module that includes an iPhone/iPad compatible USB input.

I suppose some people might also be interested in an AM/FM/HD FM tuner module.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #69 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm »
In addition to a wireless audio/streaming module, I'd like to see an updated DAC module that includes an iPhone/iPad compatible USB input.

I suppose some people might also be interested in an AM/FM/HD FM tuner module.

Hi dolstein,

Welcome to the VR forum!

The LIO dac does work with Android phone/tablet via this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

But not for iOS.  I would like that compatibility with a future version, so one could connect and iPhone/iPad directly.

Tuners are definitely not my specialty, so I'm not sure if I'll be getting into that.  That one might be best used with the
analog inputs of LIO  :P

Thanks for your post!

Vinnie

WireNut

« Reply #70 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I'm just hearing about the LIO but don't understand it yet. What I'm interested in is a unit that has AVC volumm controls (like Bent Audio) and a tube line stage to use with an external dac and photo stage. Can the LIO do this?    If so, talk to me about the line stage and the AVC's. Also about inputs and outputs types. I run balanced and unbalanced equipment. Also, How much gain would the line stage give me.

Thanks,
Steve

srb

« Reply #71 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:27 am »
I'll pass on my understanding so far until Vinnie is able to further comment.

From the website:

(A)  The Tubestage is unity gain (0dB)

(B)  The Autoformer Volume Control range is -54dB to +7dB

(C)  The AVC takes the physical place of the Tubestage and they cannot be installed together

From various Audiocircle LIO topics:

(A)  Vinnie is looking into / working on a new module that would combine the AVC and Tubestage into one module

(B)  Vinnie is looking into / working on a Balanced Input module and a Balanced Output module

You can read about these new modules here

So an AVC/Tubestage combo would have a possible gain of +7dB (voltage gain only I assume).  I'm not sure what combination of unbalanced and balanced inputs and outputs might be offered or possible.

Steve

brh

« Reply #72 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:30 am »
But not for iOS.  I would like that compatibility with a future version, so one could connect and iPhone/iPad directly.

Curious about this — one gets a power consumption error when connecting an iPhone via CCK… is the XMOS powered by the USB? Or is it powered by LIO, but for some reason appears like a heavy power draw?

It would be nice to overcome this hurdle… and if one didn't have the headphone amp module, a header to move/add USB port to the front panel, since Neutrik makes those anyway…  :lol:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #73 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:10 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I'm just hearing about the LIO but don't understand it yet. What I'm interested in is a unit that has AVC volumm controls (like Bent Audio) and a tube line stage to use with an external dac and photo stage. Can the LIO do this?    If so, talk to me about the line stage and the AVC's. Also about inputs and outputs types. I run balanced and unbalanced equipment. Also, How much gain would the line stage give me.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

- With LIO you can make a linestage with 3 single-ended inputs, and for the volume control portion you can go with a passive resistor volume control (RVC, 64 steps, max gain = 0dB), or an autoformer volume control (AVC, 64 steps, max gain = +7dB).

- If you go with the RVC, you can follow it with a tube buffer (voltage gain = 0dB, but it does have current gain to get the output impedance < 200 ohms, and tube flavor). 

- srb is correct above. At this time, you cannot get the tubestage if you get the AVC because they occupy the same location inside the LIO.  And we are looking into an AVC module with tube output stage (essentially combining the AVC and Tubestage modules).

- srb is also correct that we are working on a modules for XLR (balanced) inputs, and balanced outputs.

Quote from: WireNut
to use with an external dac and photo stage

Don't forget that you can also try out the LIO DSD/PCM dac and LIO PHONOSTAGE modules at any time.  :wink:

Quote from: brh
Curious about this — one gets a power consumption error when connecting an iPhone via CCK… is the XMOS powered by the USB? Or is it powered by LIO, but for some reason appears like a heavy power draw?

It would be nice to overcome this hurdle… and if one didn't have the headphone amp module, a header to move/add USB port to the front panel, since Neutrik makes those anyway…  :lol:

Hi brh,

The XMOS is powered by the LIO. 

At this time, iPhone / iPads are not supported. 

I like your idea to add a Neutrik USB on the front panel for this - very clever!  Assuming one is not using the LIO headphone amp, it makes good sense!  I'm glad I thought of it!  :green:

Vinnie

mrubey

« Reply #74 on: 31 Mar 2015, 03:04 pm »
I agree with offering a good NOS module (you would just remove the upper board on the LIO DSD/PCM dac, which does the d/a conversion and analog output stage) and pop in a new one. 

thanks for the vote!

Vinnie

I'd like to register another vote for a NOS DAC.
thank you,
Mike

Vinnie R.

« Reply #75 on: 1 Apr 2015, 06:51 pm »

I'd like to register another vote for a NOS DAC.
thank you,
Mike

Hi mrubey,

Welcome to the VR forum - and thanks for your vote.

Glad to see some NOS dac lovers here  :thumb:

Vinnie

advanced101

« Reply #76 on: 4 Apr 2015, 08:34 pm »
Really like the idea of a modular unit.  2015 is my year to replace my Pre-amp.  :P

My perfect pre-amp would be:

-Options for the type of DAC, possibly a basic version, then a higher-end version.  I'm being selfish here since the DAC is of high priority to me.
-AVC with Tubestage, no compromises
-Balanced Out
-Tube Upgrade Options from the Factory
-Wireless streaming from NAS would be nice, eliminating the computer in the rack.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #77 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm »
Really like the idea of a modular unit.  2015 is my year to replace my Pre-amp.  :P

My perfect pre-amp would be:

-Options for the type of DAC, possibly a basic version, then a higher-end version.  I'm being selfish here since the DAC is of high priority to me.
-AVC with Tubestage, no compromises
-Balanced Out
-Tube Upgrade Options from the Factory
-Wireless streaming from NAS would be nice, eliminating the computer in the rack.

Hi advanced101,

Thanks for your feedback!   

As for the tube upgrade options, it is tricky getting a decent quantity of NOS tubes, but I will look into it  :)

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #78 on: 9 Apr 2015, 04:23 pm »
While not a LIO module, I soon will be testing these with LIO:

http://stillpoints.us/ultramini.html

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Stillpoints or have tried them, but after hearing a demo of them
in use at Fidelis in Nashua, NH, I am interested to hear what they can offer with LIO.

Bruce Jacbobs of Stillpoints sent me 4 Ultra Mini's (the bottom part of it, which has the required 8-32 thread for LIO - and
the actual Stillpoints technology in it).  I hope to have time for careful listening on Sunday and will report back.

Worth a try - and if they offer a noticeable improvement, they would be very easy for LIO customers to install and try for themselves.

More to come...

Vinnie

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #79 on: 18 Apr 2015, 03:06 pm »
Hi All,

I know that wireless is "all the rage".  I have been wanting to "remove the computer" from my audio rack for a while.  Last night I was able to install a BeagleBone Black in place of said computer.  A while ago I wired the house with CAT 6 wire.  So I moved the computer to another room, actually the office.  JRiver Media Center 20 is installed on the computer.  JRiver recognizes the BBB as another player/renderer like it would an Auralic Aries, a Sonore Mini Server, Orbiter, or Rondu.  The BBB is connected to my DAC using a USB cable.  The music on my computer, 16/44.1 through DSD, is streamed bit perfectly to the DAC. :D  Thanks to my acquaintance with Red Wine Audio battery power, I am investigating a battery power supply for the BBB hoping to improve the already excellent sound. (Wish I could figure out a LIO 5v power supply for it.)  The sound from the present setup made me smile and listen too long last night!   So I am wondering if a marriage between LIO and a BBB-like module would be the streaming solution?

Best Regards,

Blu