LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"

G Georgopoulos

Re: LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:02 am »
since lio is battery powered it wouldnt suit it a class-a since it would discharge it faster
anyway if vinie likes the idea all the best to him... :green:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:09 am »
since lio is battery powered it wouldnt suit it a class-a since it would discharge it faster
anyway if vinie likes the idea all the best to him... :green:

Hi G,

But LIO is NOT battery powered  :nono:, and it can play with no time limitations via its 100% isolated (like a battery, but better!)
ultracapacitor power supply.  :wink:

I'm thinking low power (not much more than 5wpc) Class A is something that could be done - but can't say for sure yet.

I know some of you guys like the idea of low power class A, but you might be VERY surprised by how good the Class AB output
stage sounds... even if you don't need all those high current watts!  :o    It's all about finesse with this one - it is a gem.  :singing:

Vinnie

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2015, 03:04 pm »
Would it be possible to do both?

What about this idea : Could you make the Class AB amp have a switch so that the user can choose Class AB mode or Class A?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2015, 04:55 pm »
Would it be possible to do both?

What about this idea : Could you make the Class AB amp have a switch so that the user can choose Class AB mode or Class A?

Hi RDavidson,

While something like this is possible, I'm not a fan of this approach.  I would rather do a cleaner, more "zen-like" dedicated Class-A circuit
instead of a more complicated circuit that can run in both modes. 

Vinnie

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:36 pm »
Hi RDavidson,

While something like this is possible, I'm not a fan of this approach.  I would rather do a cleaner, more "zen-like" dedicated Class-A circuit
instead of a more complicated circuit that can run in both modes. 

Vinnie

I agree. I was just trying to think of a way to produce a single amp that could suit the hi eff crowd as well as those who need more power. It'd probably make better sense to produce 2 different amps (Class A and A/B) that fit the same chassis and just let people choose per their needs.....keeping things zen.

dukecv

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2015, 06:27 pm »
Hey Vinnie,
        Just putting in my "vote" for a low power class a amp. Something simple, yet with the options ultralight and rdavidson are proposing. The variable crossover for the outputs and inputs would be awesome. I would say since if it's gonna be an integrated, a very good quality volume control would be a good idea. Keep with the clean and elegant look you have already. Thanks for asking for people's options also. Much appreciated.

1. Variable xover for outputs and inputs?
2. Low watt class A?
3. Quality volume control?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
All,

It certainly looks like there is some interest in a low-powered, Class A output stage.  This is something that I will definitely look into in the next
few months.  :whip:

3. Quality volume control?

Hi dukecv,

The LIO RVC (resistor volume control) module is very high quality, offering 64 steps of attenuation via discrete Vishay/Dale resistors that are matched to 0.5% tolerance.  The quality is definitely on par with stepped attenuators from Goldpoint / DACT (with with many more steps for finer attenuation levels).  And since we can individually control the volume of both channels, the LIO RVC has a 'balance control' without adding any additional circuitry.  It simply offsets one channel by 1, 2, 3.... 12 steps (approx. 1dB steps), all easy controlled via the included remote control handset.

The LIO AVC (autoformer volume control) is premium volume control option (but much larger because of the use of 1 autoformer per channel, so it takes up the location of the optional LIO TUBESTAGE module).  LIO AVC has the same fine control (64 steps, and balance control) as LIO RVC above.

1. Variable xover for outputs and inputs?

Yes - I'll be looking into such solutions for this as well in 2015. 

Thanks for asking for people's options also. Much appreciated.

Thank YOU for all your feedback!  I want to look into offering options that our customers / potential customers would really like to see in the LIO - and I greatly appreciate all your feedback.  I can't promise that I will make all suggestions into a reality, but I do promise to consider them all.  8)

Vinnie

trev4h

« Reply #27 on: 3 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »
1) +1 Airplay Streaming, +1 Bluetooth Streaming (sometimes convenience trumps quality)
2) Phono step up transformer: It sure would be amazing to be able to customize the SUT used in the phonostage.  (At the very least some SUT's give you the option of switching between two gain stages for example a 1:18 or a 1:36 with the cinemag CMQEE-3440AH) 
3) +1 Class A amp module
4) Clear acrylic top
5) +1 DC power out

Can't wait to see the new pics. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm »
1) +1 Airplay Streaming, +1 Bluetooth Streaming (sometimes convenience trumps quality)
2) Phono step up transformer: It sure would be amazing to be able to customize the SUT used in the phonostage.  (At the very least some SUT's give you the option of switching between two gain stages for example a 1:18 or a 1:36 with the cinemag CMQEE-3440AH) 
3) +1 Class A amp module
4) Clear acrylic top
5) +1 DC power out

Can't wait to see the new pics.

Hi Trev4h,

Thanks for your post!

1) I'll definitely be looking into it this year, and will make sure the quality is also very good, along with the convenience.

2) I just responded to your post in the other thread about this.  I think you'll be pleased.  :wink:

3) Gotcha!

4) Oh yeah!

5) Ok - I'm looking into this as well.  Actually, I was contacted by a customer who would like approx. 16Vdc for an Auralic Aries.  I
believe I can do this with LIO since it is not a power monger.  But for things that are more power hungry, they will have to wait for
the new Vinnie Rossi power supply (RWA Black Lightning replacement that will use the VR LIO ultracapacitor technology).

Pics coming soon.

Vinnie

wisnon

« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2015, 10:48 pm »
Vinny,

Based on TedB's feedback on the performance of the Direct Stream Dac with the Sonore Sig Rendu, you should strongly consider developing a LVDS i2s input via HDMI. I am sure that the cutting edge people will really appreciate this platform to go for ultimate SQ.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2015, 09:55 am by wisnon »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #30 on: 5 Feb 2015, 03:12 am »
Vinny,

Based on TedB's feedback on the performance of the Direct Stream Dac with the Sonore Sig Rendu, you should strongly consider deveolping a LVDS i2s input via HDMI. I am sure that the cuting edge people will really appreciate this platform to go for ultimate SQ.

Hi wisnon,

Thanks for your recommendation.  I haven't played with the HDMI interface, or LVDS i2s (yet), but I plan to look into it at some point.

Cheers!

Vinnie

CarterB

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2015, 01:07 pm »
1) I'll definitely be looking into it this year, and will make sure the quality is also very good, along with the convenience.

Very excited by the wireless audio high on your list. It will be the thing I will miss the most about my current setup when my LIO arrives (soon, it seems!). Vinnie, do you think the wireless will be a separate module, a new DAC module, or an add on to existing module--like the tube buffer and RCL are add ons? Obviously the last option is best but I know space and design are limited.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2015, 05:30 pm »
Very excited by the wireless audio high on your list. It will be the thing I will miss the most about my current setup when my LIO arrives (soon, it seems!). Vinnie, do you think the wireless will be a separate module, a new DAC module, or an add on to existing module--like the tube buffer and RCL are add ons? Obviously the last option is best but I know space and design are limited.

Hi CarterB,

I still need to figure out how it will work.  It will probably be a new module that plugs into the location of (or on top of) the
LIO INPUTS module.

Once I get on that project, I'll be sure to post updates.

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2015, 03:35 pm »
I mentioned two in the other thread but will repost them here:

1) some sort of DSP/speaker correction module (maybe partner with DSPeaker)
2) a streaming module for the DAC. Personally, I'd be happy with AirPlay and/or Bluetooth but I'm sure handling higher data rates would be nice

I'm wait I got on my LIO but plan on airport express toslink to optical into the DAC.  I'm fairly uneducated so forgive my basic question; how would the streaming module improve things, one less cable?

Thanks

Vinnie R.

« Reply #34 on: 13 Feb 2015, 10:45 pm »
I'm wait I got on my LIO but plan on airport express toslink to optical into the DAC.  I'm fairly uneducated so forgive my basic question; how would the streaming module improve things, one less cable?

Thanks

Hi Matthew,

Good Q !

A streaming module would be more of a convenience feature (e.g. stream Spotify or TIDAL from your smart phone / tablet to LIO) - not "better" than
a hard wired connection.

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #35 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:58 am »
Ok, relief.  I have streaming with tidal but I was hoping that there's still value in lossless files. 

brh

« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:53 pm »
Been meaning to mention this for a while... I have a feeling the chips are getting harder to come by - but RWA was offering a NOS 16/44 DAC option, which I think would be neat to offer for LIO as well, if such a thing were possible even in a limited run...

Vinnie R.

« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm »
Been meaning to mention this for a while... I have a feeling the chips are getting harder to come by - but RWA was offering a NOS 16/44 DAC option, which I think would be neat to offer for LIO as well, if such a thing were possible even in a limited run...

I agree with offering a good NOS module (you would just remove the upper board on the LIO DSD/PCM dac, which does the d/a conversion and analog output stage) and pop in a new one. 

thanks for the vote!

Vinnie

HeadStrong

« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:51 pm »
Vinnie - I met you at a headphone meet many moons ago.  Glad to witness your success.  Any plans on multichannel support?

lousyreeds1

« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:01 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

1) Big +1 on that low-power class A amp module. 

2) Bigger +1 on the airplay streaming functionality or something similar.  I'm the one who was asking about 16V out to an Auralic Aries, but the best of all would be built-in streaming capability, even if just for 16/44.1.  For me - and probably for many - that would mean no need for an Auralic Aries or similar, as long as the jitter reduction was sufficient.