BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

Phil A

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #140 on: 9 Aug 2014, 02:54 pm »
CDs with brushes and cleaning liquids are not a good idea.

Cheers!
Antun

Believe Phillips who makes drives knows about how to clean its parts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzpHtTU1S7U

gtaphile

« Reply #141 on: 9 Aug 2014, 02:56 pm »
James,

If the new CD player eclipsed the playback performance of the Bryston DAC/player combo it would be worth considering.

If not then those that have converted their CD library and bought the DAC/player combo are benefiting from the higher performance sound, wonderful interface and its many conveniences not to mention adding favorite songs one at a time.

Gary   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #142 on: 9 Aug 2014, 03:49 pm »
James,

If the new CD player eclipsed the playback performance of the Bryston DAC/player combo it would be worth considering.

If not then those that have converted their CD library and bought the DAC/player combo are benefiting from the higher performance sound, wonderful interface and its many conveniences not to mention adding favorite songs one at a time.

Gary   

Yes that's the way I saw it as well - the BOT for those that own the BDP-2 and the CD Player for those that prefer a straight ahead Redbook CD player.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #143 on: 9 Aug 2014, 05:19 pm »
Just ONE if it really sounds great  :D
   That's what I love about  Bryston James. The idea that it's not just about money ( although it has too be too) but about the idea of doing a good job on a product for it's own sake.   looking forward to the possible new player :thumb: :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #144 on: 9 Aug 2014, 08:22 pm »
Hi Guys

So here's an example of what I've been "recently" experiencing, this while play some "KraftwerK" this afternoon so I thought I'd record it. For the last six years it was just the odd random irritating  "tick" which was present since when I first bought the BCD-1 new but  it has now deteriorated to outright skipping which it has never done in all the time I've had it. Now if I eject the disc and then reinsert and play the same tracks everything is fine.
If you listen at around the 20 second mark, the loud tick that you hear is what I first experienced back in 2009 but would occur only once in awhile so obviously difficult to trouble shoot and Bryston service was unable to duplicate the problem so I just lived with until now.
But as I've said it's is very random and may play one day with no problems at all and then start up like it did today but randomly on every disc, but there is obviously a playback problem. Mike has given me a RMA# so I'll be sending out next week, hopefully it will act up when it's on the bench.

Skipping & Ticking

Eject disc, reinsert no skipping

« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2014, 10:08 pm by rob80b »

R. Daneel

« Reply #145 on: 10 Aug 2014, 08:59 am »
Believe Phillips who makes drives knows about how to clean its parts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzpHtTU1S7U

Philips made millions making drives, not maintaining them. They made so many in fact that they couldn't give toss about maintenance. This approach to cleaning cannot yield any positive results for two reasons:
1) The lens isn't a flat surface, it is a semi-dome with an elevated outer rim. This is to allow for proper light refraction because CD is a three-beam system. Now, the disc spins in a plane perpendicular to the lens' axis. In other words, something mounted on a disc cannot clean the lens because it cannot cover it's entire surface.
2) The lens radiates heat. This heat causes the surface of the lens to warm up. If the lens are dirty, this temperature literally bakes the dust particles and they remain on the surface. No spinning disc can clean this.

There is every chance this won't work and it never really did in my experience. There is every chance it will cause damage though because discs spin rather fast. This might work if linear speed of a disc was 1cm/s or less but this is obviously not the case. A properly stored CD player should have a long service life, providing the rest of the componentry is on par. If not, then servicing is available and if it is a matter of lens cleaning, you can do effetively by remoning the player's top cover.

James, a question for you sir. If you decided to make this new CD player, would you keep the single-DAC configuration or would you change it to a dual-DAC one like in your BDA series DACs?

I have talked to some local audiophiles and they say BCD-1 sounds better than BDA-1. I find that hard to believe considering BDA-1 is an obviously more elaborate topology and that was certainly not the Stereophile's conclusion.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #146 on: 10 Aug 2014, 10:46 am »
Philips made millions making drives, not maintaining them. They made so many in fact that they couldn't give toss about maintenance. This approach to cleaning cannot yield any positive results for two reasons:
1) The lens isn't a flat surface, it is a semi-dome with an elevated outer rim. This is to allow for proper light refraction because CD is a three-beam system. Now, the disc spins in a plane perpendicular to the lens' axis. In other words, something mounted on a disc cannot clean the lens because it cannot cover it's entire surface.
2) The lens radiates heat. This heat causes the surface of the lens to warm up. If the lens are dirty, this temperature literally bakes the dust particles and they remain on the surface. No spinning disc can clean this.

There is every chance this won't work and it never really did in my experience. There is every chance it will cause damage though because discs spin rather fast. This might work if linear speed of a disc was 1cm/s or less but this is obviously not the case. A properly stored CD player should have a long service life, providing the rest of the componentry is on par. If not, then servicing is available and if it is a matter of lens cleaning, you can do effetively by remoning the player's top cover.

James, a question for you sir. If you decided to make this new CD player, would you keep the single-DAC configuration or would you change it to a dual-DAC one like in your BDA series DACs?

I have talked to some local audiophiles and they say BCD-1 sounds better than BDA-1. I find that hard to believe considering BDA-1 is an obviously more elaborate topology and that was certainly not the Stereophile's conclusion.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

The advantage a CD player has over an external DAC is you know exactly what signal is coming from the disc (44.1KHz and 16Bit).  So you can optimize the DAC and Clock etc for that specific digital signal - whereas an external DAC has no idea what is coming in so you have to reclock and resample the digital input. This may explain why some prefer CD players to the external DACs and typically the jitter numbers will be slightly lower in a CD Player because the resampling and reclocking is not required.

I think this is why the BDP Player has been so popular with our BDP-2 DAC as the jitter numbers with this combo are below 8 picoseconds.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #147 on: 12 Aug 2014, 07:02 am »
Hi Guys

So here's an example of what I've been "recently" experiencing, this while play some "KraftwerK" this afternoon so I thought I'd record it. For the last six years it was just the odd random irritating  "tick" which was present since when I first bought the BCD-1 new but  it has now deteriorated to outright skipping which it has never done in all the time I've had it. Now if I eject the disc and then reinsert and play the same tracks everything is fine.
If you listen at around the 20 second mark, the loud tick that you hear is what I first experienced back in 2009 but would occur only once in awhile so obviously difficult to trouble shoot and Bryston service was unable to duplicate the problem so I just lived with until now.
But as I've said it's is very random and may play one day with no problems at all and then start up like it did today but randomly on every disc, but there is obviously a playback problem. Mike has given me a RMA# so I'll be sending out next week, hopefully it will act up when it's on the bench.

Skipping & Ticking

Eject disc, reinsert no skipping

Perhaps an alignment issue with the drive and the laser?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but what's it sitting on? Have you tried moving the CD player to it's own shelf?

Marius

« Reply #148 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:43 am »
you could have a point here, i know i was surprised at how sensitive the BCD1 was to external movement. Even the smallest of touches makes it skip.

Sounds great though :thumb: :thumb: The BDA/BDP combo certainly didn't beat it.

Marius

Perhaps an alignment issue with the drive and the laser?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but what's it sitting on? Have you tried moving the CD player to it's own shelf?

rob80b

« Reply #149 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:56 pm »
Hi Guys

The skipping and what you hear in the video is totally new and just started recently; it’s the audible random loud “tick” which I’ve had since buying it new. I could be listening to any type of music and it would happen and not repeatable.
But to recap, at the start I just assumed it was some form of error correction encountering a fingerprint, dust or what have you, visual inspection of the disc showed nothing, and a quick rewind when it did occur would not repeat it. I also thought it could possibly be related to a faulty component, capacitor etc, not just with BCD-1 but possibly the BP25P or even the 4BSST, but trying it directly connected to my headphone amps the problem reoccurred and therefore eliminating any down stream components.
Bryston’s service was unable to repeat the problem nor did it show up after being a few days on the bench. Anyway that was back in 2009/2010 and the problem has continued at my end, and as the video shows it is now much worse and makes using this BCD-1 frustrating and at time unusable, its now in the hands of Bryston’s service as we speak so I’m hoping the gremlins show up there.

1ZIP

« Reply #150 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:08 pm »
James;

Assuming that Bryston decides to go ahead with the BCD-X, when would you anticipate them being available?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:51 pm »
James;

Assuming that Bryston decides to go ahead with the BCD-X, when would you anticipate them being available?

Late fall would be my guess.

james

BrystonFan

« Reply #152 on: 14 Aug 2014, 12:59 am »
So 2014 Christmas gift to self is possible?  :green:

spinner

« Reply #153 on: 14 Aug 2014, 05:13 am »
 Put me on that Xmas list too. :xmas:

1ZIP

« Reply #154 on: 14 Aug 2014, 05:25 am »
I can see unit 1 under my tree.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #155 on: 14 Aug 2014, 07:52 pm »
Ditto!

BCD-X in Black with blue lighting.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #156 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:08 pm »
BCD²  :thumb:

Be well...

1ZIP

« Reply #157 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:37 pm »
James;

Would the new BCD come with the BR-2 or would it be an option?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #158 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:13 pm »
James;

Would the new BCD come with the BR-2 or would it be an option?

I assume we would include the remote but then again many of our customers probably already have one so maybe the option works best.

james

rob80b

« Reply #159 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:59 pm »
Late fall would be my guess.

james

Heck my BCD-1’s currently in service, maybe I could be the guinea pig, I’ll sign a release form and even/or a nondisclosure form and get them to retrofit the prototype dac and drive. :idea:  :shh: