BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

RonCH

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2014, 06:49 am »
I will never buy another CD player.  Personally, I now prefer to listen to music through the BDP.  I still buy CDs, just to rip them and then store them away in my basement. 

SFOX

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2014, 07:21 am »
James

Is the new drive drawer - loaded or slot loaded ?

Samurai7595

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm »
Even though I own the Bryston BDP-2/BDA-2 combo and do enjoy streaming my music for hours, I still kept my Bryston BCD-1 as a backup, should my network/WI-FI ever be down (it's happened on a few occassions).  Plus I like to use the Bryston BCD-1 CD player to audition freinds' loaned CDs.

The Bryston BCD-1 is an excellent CD player and hopefully the next version will be just as good or better!   :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm »
James

Is the new drive drawer - loaded or slot loaded ?
\\

Tray loader.

james

KingstonMoon

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2014, 03:41 pm »
Im building a plan and budget for a complete Bryston system . Pre/power supply,power amp, and dac  -- the return of a cd player would be a shoe in for me . At present time the disc spinner would be the "odd man out " lol in my future kit .  I prefer to purchase new and not used , so a  used BCD is not in the future for me .  I have a couple thousand discs and not inclined yet to rip to a new digital medium . i have thousands of digital music files , my time between cd and streaming remains evenly split and i foresee this to be the case for a long time yet .

But a BCD-II-1 disc player would make my grocery list complete !

rmurray

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:52 pm »
  For sure .  BCD-2 has a good ring to it......looking forward to it.  :bowdown:

mav52

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2014, 07:46 pm »
A new player.  I own a Rega Saturn R and a Oppo 105D. For cd's I use the Saturn because I just like how Rega has the Wolfson Dacs implemented.    So to me it depends on what Bryston includes in this possible CD player

mrhyfy

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2014, 07:55 pm »
I think a cd player is a little too old fashioned as it is IMHO a waste of a good dac. 
Maybe if the dac in the player is accessible to other sources it would be ok,,,other than that , I would vote for a transport only.

Don_S

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:30 pm »
CDP/DAC with multiple digital inputs and SE and balanced analog outputs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:46 pm »
I think a cd player is a little too old fashioned as it is IMHO a waste of a good dac. 
Maybe if the dac in the player is accessible to other sources it would be ok,,,other than that , I would vote for a transport only.

One of the advantages with an internal DAC is you can clock the DAC exactly to the Drive as you know exactly what digital signal is coming off the drive.  This reduces jitter substantially.  With outboard DAC's you have to reclock and resample the incoming signal and there is a lot more math and manipulation going on.

james

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jul 2014, 09:14 pm »
One of the advantages with an internal DAC is you can clock the DAC exactly to the Drive as you know exactly what digital signal is coming off the drive.  This reduces jitter substantially.  With outboard DAC's you have to reclock and resample the incoming signal and there is a lot more math and manipulation going on.

james

This is true......BUT.......with Femto clocks now available at reasonable prices, I'm not so sure reclocking is really a major issue with outboard DACs anymore. Yes, more "work" is being done, versus a direct signal from the drive, but the tools available these days are substantially better for the job.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jul 2014, 10:36 pm »
CDP/DAC with multiple digital inputs and SE and balanced analog outputs.
   Oh yes, please don't leave off the balanced outputs :thumb:

BrystonFan

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:35 pm »
I'd take a BCD-2 for sure!  :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:48 am »
James,

Dialog is good but a poll along with it could give a quick picture of consumer interest.

1.  Transport only
2.  CD Player
3.  CDP/DAC
4.  Fuggitaboudit

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:25 am »
James,

Dialog is good but a poll along with it could give a quick picture of consumer interest.

1.  Transport only
2.  CD Player
3.  CDP/DAC
4.  Fuggitaboudit

Ya I thought about that too late :duh:

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:40 pm »
Hi James,
I would say it would be nice to see a CD player and pre amp in one box that can be switched from front panel as one system or just use it as transport, DAC or pre amp.
It would save space and cable and most likely would never be obsolete.
It would be something totally new and for some folks with limited space could be nice package to match it with a 4BSST2 and the mini T speakers.
Just a thought. :thumb:

rpmartins

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:23 pm »
I've been resisting to buy a CD player hoping for an eventual announcement of a BCD2 with digital inputs.

HI Folks,

Not a week goes by that I do not get a request from a customer about where he can get a Bryston BCD-1 CD Player and I get chewed out for discontinuing ours.  I had no choice as the drive we used was a dedicated CD Drive (as opposed to a DVD Drive) and Phillips discontinued them.

Anyway I have found a new CD drive that performs very well and wanted to get an idea from our customers as to whether you think a dedicated CD Player from Bryston is a viable product given todays computer based options.

james

sweetspot

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:54 pm »
Hi, James, Is the new drive a retro fit for the BCD-1 and is it a dedicated cd drive?

spinner

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:55 pm »
-Seems like good support for a new Bryston unit. Count me in for one :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:56 pm »
Hi, James, Is the new drive a retro fit for the BCD-1 and is it a dedicated cd drive?
   yes good point since the bcd1 was that way...pure redbook