I installed the 2.2.1 firmware yesterday. I followed the instructions closely but still ran into a few temporary bottlenecks. The only one of significance was the actual download of the firmware .hex file itself.
Using Windows 7 and I.E. 11, when I tried to download the file, it would open it instead. I could see the hex code and when I tried to save it as a .hex file, it would save it as an unusable .mht file.
After several tries with I.E., I tried the download using Mozilla Firefox and it worked the first time. The rest was pretty much a breeze but don't forget to pair your Apple remote again.
The new remote functions are great. I still don't know which one I like the most - the ease of the balance adjustment or the auto repeat of the volume control. Good job Morten! Thanks.