Something new that sounds incredible

persisting1

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #440 on: 6 Oct 2014, 09:52 pm »
Looking good  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #441 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:49 pm »
A couple more pics.  Had an issue on one of the cabinets (reminds me why I normally choose not to paint), I am currently working through it.

Base coat:.

Top coat:

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #442 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:23 am »
I really like that color!  The finish looks very smooth!  What brand of spray paint is it?  I can't quite read the label of the can in the picture.

thanks,

tom

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #443 on: 8 Oct 2014, 01:11 am »
That looks really good. I can't make a paint job look good worth a flying flip, that's one reason I veneer.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #444 on: 8 Oct 2014, 01:52 am »
Looking really  nice Ed  :thumb:
I really like the color too, it almost   looks like a candy or aodized finish . Pretty cool what  you  can get in a spray bomb these days

Duplicolor MetalCast ?

-jay

« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2014, 04:11 am by Captainhemo »

AKLegal

« Reply #445 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:18 pm »
I envy you guys that are proficient at using a spray paint cans.  Every single time I try I always get runs from too much paint or light uneven coverage.  I have probably watched about 100 YouTube spay paint videos lol.  It just isn't my bag I guess.

I may try again at some point. :(

ebag4

« Reply #446 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:08 pm »
Thanks guys.  Yes, it is Duplicolor Metalcast Red.

Painting isn't my bag either.  These are looking OK but not great.  This is my first time using a base coat and a top coat setup.  I should have tried it on scrap first, I learned quite a bit on the first speaker, the second came out better.  I can live with them.  I may try a clear coat as well, it depends on how they look tonight.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #447 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:22 pm »
They look good Ed.... :thumb:

Have you decided on a base yet?

ebag4

« Reply #448 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:28 pm »
Thanks Perry.  I will rig up a stand for them so I can see how I like the integration of the bass in a separate speaker.  If that works out OK I will build some stands likely mimicking the shape of this speaker's base down to the floor and sand load them.  If I don't like them as separate speakers I may start playing with the "U" frame to see how it sounds, I think a narrower base than an "H" frame can provide will look better with this top section.

ebag4

« Reply #449 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:00 am »

A few more pics.  I am a little happier with them, the baffles came out nice, the sides both have some rough spots.  I am considering doing some wet sanding but welcome recommendations, especially if you have worked with this type paint.

baniels

« Reply #450 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:19 am »
Hard to see any flaws there. They look very good, Ed.

You might be the first, besides Danny, to give some listening impressions. Looking forward to that.

tasar

« Reply #451 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:58 pm »
A few more pics.  I am a little happier with them, the baffles came out nice, the sides both have some rough spots.  I am considering doing some wet sanding but welcome recommendations, especially if you have worked with this type paint.

Hey Ed.... Nice build ! When doing oil varnish or paint, I prefer to 220 sand and re coat such that I'm happy with the "flat" finish then  spray polyurethane to "pop" the color and /or grain. Many don't like the poly approach because it is technique dependent. You must work front to back and push the "cloud" away from piece. Practice is good ! As a "V" guy, I'm looking forward to your integration reviews with those 12" servos. The Zenith radio cab below was sanded 280 grit and dull before the poly spray.... Automotive guys do basically same thing. Trying to get an even "shine" with a "paint coat" is tough

Keithh

« Reply #452 on: 9 Oct 2014, 07:41 pm »
Just finished my Wedges this morning and have been listening to them for a couple hours. WOW!!!
They do sound incredible and they are not even broken in yet. The imaging and soundstage these
things have is like Danny said, scary. Pin-point placement of instruments and vocals.
 I have had speakers with higher sensitivity but these go quite
a bit louder with my little 14wpc tube amp. Must have something to do with the inline filter.
This is the speaker I have been waiting for over my years of building kits. A speaker that takes the
best characteristics of many different great speakers and bumps the SQ a level, plus is affordable.
Thank you Danny!

ebag4

« Reply #453 on: 9 Oct 2014, 07:49 pm »
Great to hear Keith, please post again as you get some time on them.  I had hoped to have mine running this week but now it appears it may have to wait until late next week or after.

Pics please (or it didn't happen ;-) )

Dave, thanks for the tip (beautiful old radio BTW).

Captainhemo

« Reply #454 on: 9 Oct 2014, 09:47 pm »
Just finished my Wedges this morning and have been listening to them for a couple hours. WOW!!!
They do sound incredible and they are not even broken in yet. The imaging and soundstage these
things have is like Danny said, scary. Pin-point placement of instruments and vocals.
 I have had speakers with higher sensitivity but these go quite
a bit louder with my little 14wpc tube amp. Must have something to do with the inline filter.
This is the speaker I have been waiting for over my years of building kits. A speaker that takes the
best characteristics of many different great speakers and bumps the SQ a level, plus is affordable.
Thank you Danny!

Cool Keith  8)
What subs are you running with them  ?

Ed,  so long as you keep  the  subs from the V's close,  I don't think you'll even  notice they are eperate. Granted my subs and my OB7's cross  lower  than your Wedgies will and they are beside each other,   it just sounds like my  mains suddenly play  WAY down, it's seamless.  I'd think if you can keep them close,  you'd  get  the same results.

-jay

Keithh

« Reply #455 on: 9 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm »
Here are some pictures. I didn't know what I would be doing with this build so I just painted
them flat black and put solid walnut cap and base on them. All I wanted to do was hear them. This is just a temporary set-up and
now after hearing them I will be getting Servo subs and doing a build matching the sound.
Sorry for the bad pictures.
The subs are Hawthorne Augies from my HT system. Good sub but I think the Wedges deserve better.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #456 on: 9 Oct 2014, 10:45 pm »
There's nothing wrong with flat black.

Interesting looking crossover build.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #457 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:08 pm »
^^
Agreed,  I think they look sharp .
Thanks for the pics   :thumb:

-jay

ebag4

« Reply #458 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm »
^^^
Yes, very nice, thanks for mentioning the walnut caps, I didn't see them at first.  Looks like you have a nice room as well, will you share the dimensions and let us know how well the Wedges fill it?

Early B.

« Reply #459 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:01 am »
Here are some pictures.

Can you take a couple of closeup shots of your crossover? I like how you have it mounted.