New stuff from Hawthorne Audio

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
New stuff from Hawthorne Audio
« on: 7 May 2014, 03:56 pm »
  Hey Guys,
  Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.
Danny and I are excited about a new, smaller AMT driver that is going to be offered in addition to the Model 700 mentioned above.  I intend to call this one our Model 900 and as this name suggests we intend to cross it over ~ 900 Hz.   The focus on this driver is to preserve the sonic signature and over all tone qualities of all our other high end AMT drivers while minimizing it's vertical height.    Our larger AMT drivers (Model 500 and Model 700) excel when used with our larger format mid woofers. We wanted a shorter driver that could slip into some existing designs Danny already offers as well as be used in some totally new offerings that we both will market.

Some of these new projects will be offered in our current OB configuration and some will depart from this configuration to be used in other configurations more suitable to applications where our current line up of large OB speakers simply isn't appropriate due to their size and space requirements.   

The Model 700 AMT is available to DIY’s and will also be used in finished speakers in our newest grade level we call our Master Class.  This brings our grade count up to four with hopefully something for everyone and every budget.   Look for more Home Theater specific speakers as well as likely some Pro Sound specific speakers.  2014 promises to be a grate year for all of us.
  Very nice to meet all of you and thanks again for the warm welcome.   Please feel free to write me directly with any questions you might have.  Between Danny and I we should be able to keep you all abreast of new developments as they unfold.

Thanks,
Darrel  :D

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
Re: New stuff from Hawthorne Audio
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2014, 06:40 pm »
Wow, AMT extension to 900hz, that is amazing.  I'm so glad OB solutions are picking back up for the DIY arena :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2014, 06:44 pm »
Wow, AMT extension to 900hz, that is amazing.  I'm so glad OB solutions are picking back up for the DIY arena :)

And that is with an open back.

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2014, 09:26 pm »

Hey Architect,

The Model 900 will only have extension down to 900 with some usable energy below that.  The Model 700 plays down well below 700 Hz and our Model 500 plays below 500 Hz with an fs of 235 Hz.
 Add in dipole projection, high sensitivity, high displacement and very high speed and we think we have a winning combination.

Here is a shot of one of our finished Reference speakers that uses the Model 500 in it’s purpose built cultured marble wave guide.

Listening room here at my shop:

Cheers,

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2014, 05:05 am »
500hz AMT!!!  Wow!  Those are beautiful as well, what kind of wood is that?

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2014, 11:18 am »
500hz AMT!!!  Wow!  Those are beautiful as well, what kind of wood is that?

Thanks! 
The Model is our Rainier
http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/docs/RainierAnnouncement.pdf

The wood is Sepele
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapele

We are now making them from a constrained layer material using American made ApplyPly and cork.

As much as I appreciate these questions we should move this back on topic to the  OB SW-12-16fr   :beer:

Thanks,

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2014, 02:15 pm »
Thanks! 
The Model is our Rainier
http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/docs/RainierAnnouncement.pdf

The wood is Sepele
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapele

We are now making them from a constrained layer material using American made ApplyPly and cork.

As much as I appreciate these questions we should move this back on topic to the  OB SW-12-16fr   :beer:

Thanks,

No worries Darrel. I'll just give you your own thread.   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2014, 04:41 pm »
Man, this is one company I wish I could hear the speakers from.  Any chance of a Colorado owner willing to demo them?  Or an appearance at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest?

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2014, 05:29 pm »
Man, this is one company I wish I could hear the speakers from.  Any chance of a Colorado owner willing to demo them?  Or an appearance at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest?

Hey Tyson,

We are doing Capital Audio fest as well as RMAF this year (maybe in more than one room  :wink:).  I think we may have some customers in Colorado but don’t quote me on that.  We started back in 2005 and have sold product into 45 countries so far.  Mostly to DIY with a few finished speaker models for those that can’t build.  Danny and I are searching for more projects that we both can get involved with.  His crossover design skills is exactly what we needed!  Not my area!
I think that with his help we will push all of our offerings up several levels. 

Thanks Danny for moving theses postings  off that other thread... I feel better not contributing additional off topic responses but wanted to provide some answers and share our excitement.

Cheers,

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2014, 09:24 pm »
Those are very interesting.  I've always wanted to try an open baffle speaker, but I have to have a mixed home theater/2 channel system, and I can't figure out what to do for the center channel.  (I could have a "phantom" center channel, but I've found it's hard to balance 2 channel with no center; that is, having a center channel seems to help.)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
For my 2 channel/home theater, my center channel is just another one of the main channel drivers mounted in it's own baffle.
Works great!  :thumb:

For extra credit, I mounted my SB3 into the center channel baffle. That way, I can watch the pretty lights while listening to music.

Bob

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2014, 10:04 pm »
Those are very interesting.  I've always wanted to try an open baffle speaker, but I have to have a mixed home theater/2 channel system, and I can't figure out what to do for the center channel.  (I could have a "phantom" center channel, but I've found it's hard to balance 2 channel with no center; that is, having a center channel seems to help.)

OB specific center to match the mains. Similar to what the X-Voce is for the X-Static mains.

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2014, 10:13 pm »
  Hey guys.

Over the years we have helped with a lot of 2 channel OB setups but we have also seen a fair share of amazing home theater projects using our drivers.  Some utilized center channel speakers and some didn’t in favor of simply using the front LR mains and relying on the phantom center image.  This works pretty well except for those few movies with a highly implemented dialog channel that relies strongly on the center channel providing this informations.  If you find yourself asking “ what did they say”  too often... you may need a center channel.

For fun, check out our Hall of fame thread where we asked folks from all over the world to show us what they built using our Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris OB specific drivers.
 Bob in St louis has a fantastic setup, be sure to look for it. :wink:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297

Thanks,

emac

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2014, 10:20 pm »
Ah, fondly remember hearing the Raniers at AKFest a couple of years ago.  My favorite speaker from that show.  Pretty sure it was my wife's as well.

Good luck to Danny and Darrel

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2014, 02:44 am »
  Hey guys.

Over the years we have helped with a lot of 2 channel OB setups but we have also seen a fair share of amazing home theater projects using our drivers.  Some utilized center channel speakers and some didn’t in favor of simply using the front LR mains and relying on the phantom center image.  This works pretty well except for those few movies with a highly implemented dialog channel that relies strongly on the center channel providing this informations.  If you find yourself asking “ what did they say”  too often... you may need a center channel.

For fun, check out our Hall of fame thread where we asked folks from all over the world to show us what they built using our Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris OB specific drivers.
 Bob in St louis has a fantastic setup, be sure to look for it. :wink:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297

Thanks,

Hi Darrel.
In many systems shown in your link, the speakers are not set to the recommended 3 feet from the wall.
Is there a reason for that?
Thanks.

Guy 13

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2014, 03:13 am »
  Hey Guy 13,

That 3 feet away from the front wall (wall we look at while listening)  or side walls is recommended so that we can experience the greatest soundstage depth and width illusion possible.  With a minimum of 3 feet placement away from these surfaces this allows us to differentiate between the front primary energy waves and rear secondary reflected energy waves.  This gives the illusion of two separate arrivals and a sense then of greater ambience and depth.  If we allow the arrival times to get too close to tell one from the other we can experience a shrinking of the soundstage illusion relative how large it could sound if we could place the speakers in a more optimal location.

Spacing our speakers well away from the front wall is not only great with OB speakers but seems to help with most other configurations nearly as well.

That is the goal but many rooms simply lack this space to allow the speakers to be placed in their most optimal locations.  One workaround is to pull the speakers forward for serious listening and then later return them close to the wall when this depth illusion is less important than the extra living space afforded by sliding them into this ‘park' position.  For general background music listening this park position still sounds very, very  good.  Guys leave them parked for much of the time and only pull them forward when they really want to experience the Grand illusion.   

OB speakers often are  lighter than their Box speaker equivalent and can easily be slide around.  For those that must share a listening room with say a living room, lounge or den this ability to move them in and out of position prime is very welcome and can be a good compromise in many domestic situations where we must consolidate and share a space.

If you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated listening room then 3,4, 5 feet or more away from the walls and each channel spread quite wide is very nice.   Room treatments can also be used to cheat this recommendation some.  Ideally we would like to diffuse the rear wave and first reflections off side walls to help take the room out of the equation and allow for the deepest, widest illusion potential possible.  This is especial true if you are into large scale works such as Symphony Orchestra, Stadium rock concerts or motion picture soundtracks.  Room treatment really help with these Grand Illusions as will proper speaker locations.  We do the best we can with what we have however and in many of those pictures this is exactly what you are witnessing.

Cheers,

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2014, 12:45 pm »
Hey Guys,

I wanted to go into greater detail on the actual product that has brought Danny and I together and also share with you some thoughts we have on what might be possible in the future via this combined effort from GR Research  and HA.  In working with Danny we have come to realize just what an amazing resource we have found.
  I like to be very open about our strengths and also our weak areas here at Hawthorne Audio.  We are very good as developing specific tools for the task at hand. That is sort of my thing if you will.  I like to purpose build tools or in this case drivers to do one exact task and do that one exact thing very, very well.  The challenge I have is that I am not well educated with regard driver engineering or crossover design.  Truth is that it’s not an area that I excel at and so I make up very extensive wish lists of sonic attributes and performance goals and challenge professionals to take these lists and see how many boxes they can check off.   Finding someone that not only enjoys designing filter networks but is acknowledged  as one of the leaders in this field has opened up many new and exciting doors for us and given us a chance to work with a true professional.  I think up these crazy ideas and the Pros like Danny help us turn these dreams into reality.

Our first collaborative project was to evaluate this new Model 700 AMT and see if it could be matched up with one of our existing mid woofers.  In so doing we also wanted to look at what other potential projects this driver could excel in but also think about what might be possible if we made up a new wish list and developed additional drivers specifically for some pet projects we both envisioned might be fun to offer in the future. 

The Model 700 AMT is our first DIY AMT  driver in that unlike it’s big brother the Model 500 AMT we are offering the 700 for sale to DIY for use in their own projects but also to serve as a potential upgrade path for those folks currently using our coaxials.  Guys that might want to upgrade just the high end section of their coaxials yet still preserve the high sensitivity and dipole projection of their OB coaxials.  Here is the driver element and purpose built wave guide:

Danny ran the numbers on this  new AMT driver and also the first mid woofer candidate we wanted to evaluate for possible use with it.  This mid woofer is our long standing 15” Sterling Silver Iris Mid driver previously used in the coaxial format along with Radian compression tweeters.  Nice OB coaxial offering that we have had some success with!

Here is the test rig mockup I sent to Danny

Large and Dog Butt ugly but easily reconfigurable so that we can run lots of experiments using different driver combinations.

All our drivers carry the 'Silver Iris' branding somewhere in their official naming. This model 700 Is actually officially called our  Silver Iris Model 700 AMT for example.  Too long to keep writing out so we shorten everything as best we can.

This 15” Mid woofer excels in a certain frequency band and it, like all drivers has compromised areas of operation. Areas that we would like to not have the driver attempting to cover.   Ideally we would like to use it only in it’s most optimal range of operation and have this AMT driver step in and do what it does best.  Proper tool for the task at hand thinking.   Danny was able to quickly access exactly where each driver should be used and set about to stitch the two drivers together seamlessly to act as one.
As luck,  fate or chance might have it, both drivers really complimented each other.  They both filled in the intrinsic weaknesses of each other so beautifully that the result was a near perfectly flat response.  This by itself is always nice to see but we also noticed that they both shared an almost perfect sensitivity match.

Other complimentary features such as similarly high displacements, overall musicality, resolution, refinement and presence were like icing on a cake. 

Take a look at this combined frequency response

When Danny first sent me this I hadn’t looked closely at the scale of resolution and asked if this response was ok?  Looked sort of wavy to me?
He then shared the following   :lol:

That's not wavy. That's super flat. The scaling is just zoomed in. All the way to 2.8kHz it is +/-.875db. The whole thing is +/-2.25db from end to end

After a brief period of this  :oops: my reaction quickly turned to this :hyper:

So, these two drivers liked each other and work very well together.  What’s next?   

The physical size of the model 700 as well as it’s frequency response is ideal for use with these large format mid woofers but might be less than ideal for use with some smaller drivers in some other projects we wanted to explore.  Danny asked if we had any shorter AMT designs in the works and in fact we had one on a back burner.   The Model 900 was shorter and was close to being a working prototype.  Previously we had put all our attention on these very broad band AMT drivers for obvious reasons.
With a shorter AMT we can use it with some 8” or possibly some 6.5” mids both in OB but also in smaller sealed enclosures.  (our AMT drivers can be configured to be used as either dipole or monopole).   This opens up the possibility of using them in some of GR's previously issued kits as well as opens up the door to new speaker designs we both have been wanting to dig into. 

The Model 900 is past all of it’s preliminary steps towards becoming a real product and so far everything suggests that it will share a very similar sonic signature to it’s bigger brothers.  The only thing that changes is the physical size, extension and displacement.  This driver will also come with it’s own purpose built wave guide just like all the others.   We intend to sell these Model 900 AMT drivers as stand alone offerings  so that folks may use them in their DIY projects but also work them into some fully optimized kits and finished speakers that are marketed by both GR Research and Hawthorne Audio. 

Stayed tuned for updates.  I hope to get the first sample of the 900 to Danny very soon so that he can do that voodo that he do.  :lol:

Cheers,

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2014, 01:27 pm »
Ha- I glanced at the curve and thought "hmmm", and then noticed the scale :green:  Thanks for the details, Darrel and good luck to you and Danny in your colaboration! :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2014, 01:53 pm »
  Hey Guy 13,

That 3 feet away from the front wall (wall we look at while listening)  or side walls is recommended so that we can experience the greatest soundstage depth and width illusion possible.  With a minimum of 3 feet placement away from these surfaces this allows us to differentiate between the front primary energy waves and rear secondary reflected energy waves.  This gives the illusion of two separate arrivals and a sense then of greater ambience and depth.  If we allow the arrival times to get too close to tell one from the other we can experience a shrinking of the soundstage illusion relative how large it could sound if we could place the speakers in a more optimal location.

Spacing our speakers well away from the front wall is not only great with OB speakers but seems to help with most other configurations nearly as well.

That is the goal but many rooms simply lack this space to allow the speakers to be placed in their most optimal locations.  One workaround is to pull the speakers forward for serious listening and then later return them close to the wall when this depth illusion is less important than the extra living space afforded by sliding them into this ‘park' position.  For general background music listening this park position still sounds very, very  good.  Guys leave them parked for much of the time and only pull them forward when they really want to experience the Grand illusion.   

OB speakers often are  lighter than their Box speaker equivalent and can easily be slide around.  For those that must share a listening room with say a living room, lounge or den this ability to move them in and out of position prime is very welcome and can be a good compromise in many domestic situations where we must consolidate and share a space.

If you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated listening room then 3,4, 5 feet or more away from the walls and each channel spread quite wide is very nice.   Room treatments can also be used to cheat this recommendation some.  Ideally we would like to diffuse the rear wave and first reflections off side walls to help take the room out of the equation and allow for the deepest, widest illusion potential possible.  This is especial true if you are into large scale works such as Symphony Orchestra, Stadium rock concerts or motion picture soundtracks.  Room treatment really help with these Grand Illusions as will proper speaker locations.  We do the best we can with what we have however and in many of those pictures this is exactly what you are witnessing.

Cheers,

Hi Darrel.
Thanks for you long and detailed explanation, however, may I say that I have some knowledge about Open Baffle speakers as I bought from Danny three OB kits (One V1 and two V2) and have also experiment with one other driver (Audio Nirvana 8”) so I am aware of the 3-5 feet behind the speakers, if I asked you, it’s because I was wondering as to why many speakers on your pictures where so close to the wall.
Now that you told me it’s crystal clear and make lots of sense, I don’t know why I did not think about it, I guess it’s because of my very low iQ.
I am lucky to have a fairly large listening room; therefore I don’t need to push-pull the enclosure.
I still have some casters on my GR Research V1, because they are heavy as a 40 ton truck, yes; as usual I exaggerate, but still very heavy.
I still do some positioning experimentation and I cannot rely on my Vietnamese wife to help me to displace my small refrigerator size speakers, by the way, she is not a princess but sure act like one when it comes to lifting, pushing, displacing stuff.
I’m glad to see that you are working with Danny, a really nice guy. 
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question, highly appreciated.

Guy 13
In case you don’t know: I’m on planet Vietnam.

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
  Hey Guy 13,

You’re very welcome.

Very nice setup you have there!  Looks like an open back compression driver?  I offer that option on the Radians used in our coaxials.  Most guys like it but we have had a couple rooms that wasn’t ideal for dipole high frequencies.

Prior to getting into OB speakers I was big into building giant wooden horn speakers.  Here is my Imperials with a custom bent wood high frequency horn.

I ended up puting casters on them so I could move them around.  Glad to be past that stage in my audio journey.   :lol:

Cheers,