PS Audio throws in the towel on Class D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: PS Audio throws in the towel on Class D
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2014, 03:50 pm »
But NOT ALL Class D amps were tested and NOT ALL Class D drop off at 20khz. All Class Amps bandwidth are dependent on their individualized design.  I believe the NCore NC1200 goes to 50khz.

But it is not just bandwidth that makes an Amp sound great.
Maraschino goes past 100kHz.......

Seriously, if you haven't heard the Maraschino, which is NOT a chip reference design or pre-fab module amp, you might understand why the "just put it in a box" guys are giving up.  They can't do this stuff.  It takes EXPERIENCE, like 20+ years of it....

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2014, 06:58 pm »
More like a marketer with a budget.

He raved about ncore then tried to get the same performance out of the UcD because the ncore was too expensive to meet their "price point". If he was really sincere about creating the "best amp", he wouldn't be worried about a price point, he would simply use the best technology available.

More like there's Bruno Putzeys and then there's everyone else.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2014, 07:51 pm »

Seriously, if you haven't heard the Maraschino, which is NOT a chip reference design or pre-fab module amp, you might understand why the "just put it in a box" guys are giving up.  They can't do this stuff.  It takes EXPERIENCE, like 20+ years of it....
Still waiting for the AP or dScope measurements to back it up like those that are posted here.  Also backed up here and here.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #23 on: 23 Mar 2014, 08:25 pm »
Still waiting for the AP or dScope measurements to back it up like those that are posted here.  Also backed up here and here.
New Product Brief (with lots of plots):
https://www.digitalamp.com/MARA_INTRO_MAR_2014_48V.pdf

The original one came out in November.  I guess we could throw in more plots, but the ones there tell enough of the measurement story.  Where we really shine is the sound, plus we're not using pre-fab modules.

Thanks for your kind post, and let me know if you get the chance to hear the Maraschino.

Steve

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2014, 09:21 pm »

ooooops wrong forum. Please delete.

Freo-1

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm »

I agree with this.  Having owned/auditioned more Class D amps than I care to remember, I can state that the module approach (a la ICE, etc.) just cannot achieve the highest Hi-Fi results.  I would like to at some point audition this amp.  So far, the only Class D amp that I really like and kept around is this one:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/405yamaha/index.html

This put outs 500 watts regardless of the speakers connected to it.  The topology with the Yamaha is unique (employs a digital flash input filter), and although it's not the absolute latest, it remains contemporay compared with other Class D designs. It sounds great to boot.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm »
New Product Brief (with lots of plots):
https://www.digitalamp.com/MARA_INTRO_MAR_2014_48V.pdf

The original one came out in November.  I guess we could throw in more plots, but the ones there tell enough of the measurement story.  Where we really shine is the sound, plus we're not using pre-fab modules.

Thanks for your kind post, and let me know if you get the chance to hear the Maraschino.

TIMD? 
Phase shift? 

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:49 pm »
IMD? 
Phase shift?

Transient Intermodulation Distortion?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:53 pm »

Transient Intermodulation Distortion?

Yes, thanks for clarifying.

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2014, 02:07 am »
Transient Inter-Modulation Distortion (T.I.M) is a MAJOR reason a lot of solid state amps don't always sound as enjoyable to many audiophiles as well designed tube amps.  One of the very few solid state companies that have successfully addressed T.I.M. is Electrocompaniet (EC).  They have employed special circuitry to address T.I.M for many years.

A lot of tube-heads who have listened to EC gear seem to like the EC house sound. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2014, 03:52 am »
PS Audio seems to be set on Abletec class d modules for the Sprout, so saying they are "throwing in the towel on class d" seems misleading.  Maybe for their flagship amps……

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:16 am »
An

Would love to hear it.  Any chance the Maraschino will be at RMAF this year?