Noise 6N1P one channel when turn preamp on, but next morning much less...

hrosenba

Curious what explanation is (or might be) -- I have a phono/linestage that uses 6N1P-EV's in phono stage.  I've noticed (twice) that on turn on (with no music playing) the left channel has prominent tube (or "white") noise.  If I leave the preamp on overnight, the "white" noise goes away.  Both channels have low level hum on phono -- e.g. can hear if close to speakers with no music playing.
Thanks for your input,
Harvey

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Where did you get your tube ?

Is it a Russian tube ?

B

Ericus Rex

I had a similar issue with an amp a few years back.  It turned out to be a solder joint at the tube socket that had broken.  When cold there was enough of a gap to cause a problem.  But when the tube (and socket) warmed up, heat expansion closed that joint and things worked fine.  While it's making noise you may try wobbling the tube lightly in it's socket to see if that alters the noise at all.  If you have any spare tubes, put them in to see if it's actually the tube.  If not, then start looking over solder joints.  If they all seem fine, then check the sockets themselves and then I'd start checking tolerances of components while cold.

Best of luck!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
White noise is static, it would came from dust, humidity, corroded pins etc
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 01:23 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

ltr317

Where did you get your tube ?

Is it a Russian tube ?

B

6N1P is Russian nomenclature. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
6N1P is Russian nomenclature.

Yea, I should have been more clear. Should have said "did you buy directly from a dealer in Russia" ?

(They need to be tested,  when purchasing from Russia/Lithuania. At least that has been my experience. )

hrosenba

Hi,
Thanks for all replies! Pairs of tubes were purchased from K&K Audio and Cryoset tubes.  Recently purchased another 4 (1978 Voshkod) from Rumanian Ebay dealer, haven't tried 'em.  Pins not corroded.  Interesting suggestion re: solder joint.  If the phenomena persists with different tubes, will probably have a local tech check it out.
Thanks again,
Harvey