All this time working on my digital end, and now this...

Chops

I did something today that I haven't done in quite a few months, like six or seven months or so... I fired up my old Technics turntable again!

Ever since I got into the whole laptop and FLAC files thing, the TT has just been sitting, including nearly a dozen unopened, unplayed albums that my girlfriend and I bought months ago.

The TT is an old Technics SL-1700 MK II that my father purchased new back in '79 along with an all original AT TK-7E cart that I keep resorting back to. The phono pre is a cheap ART DJ Pre II that does a shockingly good job, and very old RatShack gold plated RCA cables from the 80's! I don't know why I don't at least have the Cardas Crosslink's on there. All of that feeds into my Onkyo A/V receiver in one of its regular inputs (obviously).

Anyway, I was listening to my digital end this morning for about an hour, then decided to spin some vinyl out of the clear blue. Flipping through the LP's I discovered a brand new, never opened Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew" album I didn't even know I had! Teresa must have bought it as a surprise months back. Well, it worked... It was a surprise! LOL

First thing I noticed as the needle dropped was the openness of the sound. What I heard was a nice wide and somewhat deep sound stage, air around the instruments, superior dynamics and of course that swell organic vinyl sound. Bass nice and tight and articulate, etc, etc, etc. I'm not really getting this with my digital setup. In direct comparison, it almost seems like the digital is "normalized" or "compressed", like comparing a well recorded CD to your typical FM station. It's just kind of flat, lifeless and bland.

Of course, this is a brand new album (to me) and I have no digital reference for it, but I've also played a few other albums such as one of Teresa's Deftones albums (yuck - only listened to one side, couldn't stomach anymore), and an old classic, Phil Collins' No Jacket Required. Again, open, spacious, wide, everything that I described above about Bitches Brew.

Right now I'm listening to U2's The Joshua Tree via FLAC as I swap over to the Cardas IC's on the phono pre. This is one of my rips from the gold MFSL Remaster. I continued listening to the rest of this album on digital, then played the same album on vinyl as a true direct comparison. I can already tell that even though it sounds good via digital, it's still somewhat flat sounding and not really spacious at all. It's quite boring sounding actually compared to the mass produced vinyl version. It's quite shocking at the contrast between the two.

I'm wondering if it's about time to replace/upgrade the stylus on the old TK-7E. Thinking about it for a while, it has to have quite a few thousand hours on it! My father used to buy an album, listen to it once, then play it one more time to record it to cassette. He had a HUGE vinyl collection, including an entire "box set" collection of J.S. Bach Organ Works. That doesn't include all the hundreds of hours I've put on this cart/stylus over the past 15-16 years.

Lots of people claim the TK-7E is way up there in performance, even by today's standards and that I would have to drop some serious coin to beat it. If that's the case and you guys agree, I'd probably be better off getting a replacement stylus for it instead. And if I go that route, I want to get the best possible stylus available for it. Although, after a little searching around, I can't seem to find any replacement styli at the moment. Hmm...

SET Man

Re: All this time working on my digital end, and now this...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:07 am »
Hey!

At a drop a a needle the music comes alive isn't it? With a good analog album the sound is more dimensional.

I feel the same way. Not saying CD is bad but I tend to get lost and immersed in musics more when I listen to my analog front end than CD.

Well, sadly there are bad LP albums out there too, and most of new albums today are cut from digital master.  :?

Still there's something special about the sound from this old technology isn't it?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2014, 08:53 pm »
"I'm wondering if it's about time to replace/upgrade the stylus on the old TK-7E. Thinking about it for a while, it has to have quite a few thousand hours on it! My father used to buy an album, listen to it once, then play it one more time to record it to cassette. He had a HUGE vinyl collection, including an entire "box set" collection of J.S. Bach Organ Works. That doesn't include all the hundreds of hours I've put on this cart/stylus over the past 15-16 years.

Lots of people claim the TK-7E is way up there in performance, even by today's standards and that I would have to drop some serious coin to beat it. If that's the case and you guys agree, I'd probably be better off getting a replacement stylus for it instead. And if I go that route, I want to get the best possible stylus available for it. Although, after a little searching around, I can't seem to find any replacement styli at the moment. Hmm..."

Hi Chops,
A few thousand hours?  I think you might be overdue.  You want the best possible stylus.  Hold on to your hat, here it is:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN20SS.html

Actually it's not that expensive compared to the price of a new cart.  The TK7E has the same motor as an AT20SS, one of the greatest MM ever made.  Beryllium isn't used any more due to its dust being toxic, but it's a wonderful cantilever material.   You might have to adjust your arm height slightly with an extended contact needle.  I think your arm has that capability, but I'm not positive. 

This one is a high quality replacement with a more advanced stylus (than elliptical), but it's bonded, not nude mounted and the cantilever is straight not tapered.  It's also the same style carrier as the original:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Audio-Technica-Type-ATN15-ATN20-series-Jico-Hyperelliptical--Our-Needle-203-DHE_p_4129.html

Glad to see you've come to your senses and you're playing records again.   :wink:
neo

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 02:42 pm by neobop »

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm »
Chops,

I feel the same way. AC got me back into vinyl about 1-1/2 years ago and I just absolutely love it.
I bought a 1980's JVC QL7 manual table off craigslist for $180, picked up an Audio Technica AT120E for $110,
got a used Vista phono preamp here on AC for $125.00. For a total of $415 it just kills my digital setup.
Like you said, now digital to me sounds dull and lifeless, compressed. It’s the best thing I’ve done for my system in 20 years.
What really gets me about vinyl is the channel separation and instrument definition. Love it.

Chops

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2014, 04:37 am »

Hi Chops,
A few thousand hours?  I think you might be overdue.  You want the best possible stylus.  Hold on to your hat, here it is:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN20SS.html

Actually it's not that expensive compared to the price of a new cart.  The TK7E has the same motor as an AT20SS, one of the greatest MM ever made.  Beryllium isn't used any more due to its dust being toxic, but it's a wonderful cantilever material.   You might have to adjust your arm height slightly with an extended contact needle.  I think your arm has that capability, but I'm not positive. 

This replacement needle is a lot cheaper and would be a nice back-up:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0007V.html

You might have to increase your tracking force here.  It's 1.75 to 2.25g with this stylus.  It's a nude mounted sharp elliptical like your original stylus.

This one is a high quality replacement with a more advanced stylus (than elliptical), but it's bonded, not nude mounted and the cantilever is straight not tapered.  It's also the same style carrier as the original:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Audio-Technica-Type-ATN15-ATN20-series-Jico-Hyperelliptical--Our-Needle-203-DHE_p_4129.html

Glad to see you've come to your senses and you're playing records again.   :wink:
neo

Yes, I can adjust VTA on this TT. It's a very flexible, capable unit and built like a brick ____ house! LOL

Looking at those links, none of them mention anything about the Signet TK-7E. I'm not sure whether or not those styli would fit my cart or not.

I have to say though, with a stylus with these many hours on it, it sounds might darn good with very little surface noise and no IGD. Maybe this stylus isn't ready to be retired. Right now, I'm listening to John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" on 180g and it sounds great, even at whisper levels (everyone is in bed and it's 12:30 am). Still, lots of detail, dynamics, width, LIFE in the sound! Well, except for those cool cats very UN- enthusiastically singing "A Love Supreme" over and over and over. LOL

Chops

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2014, 04:38 am »
Chops,

What really gets me about vinyl is the channel separation and instrument definition. Love it.

Exactly what I've noticed, among other things as well!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:51 pm »
Yes, I can adjust VTA on this TT. It's a very flexible, capable unit and built like a brick ____ house! LOL

Looking at those links, none of them mention anything about the Signet TK-7E. I'm not sure whether or not those styli would fit my cart or not.

I have to say though, with a stylus with these many hours on it, it sounds might darn good with very little surface noise and no IGD. Maybe this stylus isn't ready to be retired. Right now, I'm listening to John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" on 180g and it sounds great, even at whisper levels (everyone is in bed and it's 12:30 am). Still, lots of detail, dynamics, width, LIFE in the sound! Well, except for those cool cats very UN- enthusiastically singing "A Love Supreme" over and over and over. LOL

I had one on there that was a mistake.  I've removed the link.  The 20SS will not only fit, it would be a dramatic (IMO) upgrade. 

Here's a replacement:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/TK7E.html

neo