What is this? An overpriced tone control?

charmerci

What is this? An overpriced tone control?
« on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:52 pm »

It seems a bit pricey for an audiophile loudness/tone control.

http://www.deliciousdecibels.com/

Alberto DeRoma

• Industry Participant
  • Delicious Sound Hound
    • Delicious Decibels
Re: What is this? An overpriced tone control?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2014, 06:10 pm »
Ouch!  :oops:

Hi Charmerci,

This is Alberto, the guy behind The Delicious One. I hope it's OK to post to defend/explain myself (if not, apologies to the moderators and please feel free to delete this post.)

I can't disagree with your assessment. The Limited Edition of The Delicious One is expensive because I personally, build, burn-in and test each one by hand and some of the components I use are quite expensive until I can get them in quantity. The solid aluminum knob alone costs me $35 at this time.

It's my dream and objective to make it much less expensive; but, as I am working on that I am starting to understand why some seemingly simple audio components (e.g. cables, stands, etc.) can cost so much ... and why so many manufacturers go to China to lower prices.

I know this is a lame defense, but some the interconnects I am using cost more than The Delicious One ... I just had to say that  :D.

Anyway, fair comment and characterization ... I am myself embarrassed and disappointed that I can't make it cheaper yet, while maintaining the quality. But I am working on it.

Alberto

EDIT: Thank you Moderator for allowing me this reply.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2014, 01:59 am by Alberto DeRoma »

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2014, 07:00 pm »
OKaaay!
I don't need one. :duh:

More cables etc. BS!
Just maybe being over critical. I'm very bullish on everything I buy for my system.
90% of the time no need to spend big dollars to get good sound. Also not particularly fond of gadgets.

Alberto you need to register as an "Industry Participant".
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2014, 04:08 pm by bacobits1 »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2014, 07:44 pm »

Someone buy this, and tell me what you think, because I can't afford to give any more money away.   :scratch:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2014, 08:57 pm »
Depending on how the filter circuit interacts with one's system, it could work very well.  The reason cables make a difference is that each cable design, through its choice of materials and construction, "filters" the signal slightly differently.  Think of this as a cable with a variable filter.  My concern would be the passive filter network skewing the impedance match between the preamp and power amp.

They might be more successful in getting more units out for evaluation if they built a simple utilitarian box that does the same thing for less than $100.  If someone really likes what it does for their system and wants to go all out, they can upgrade to the "big knob" premium box for the price difference.

Russ

xsb7244

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm »
Our own Music Reference has a tone control project.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:18 am »
It looks like a variation on the Yamaha loudness knob which used to be part of most Yamaha receivers. I think the concept is a clever one and very valid for a minimalist set up which has no tone control at all, and often wondered why other receiver designers did not include something similar on their products. My assumption is that either Yamaha had patent protection or the whole idea was a little too confusing for the average user.
The procedure with the Yamaha was to turn the loudness knob up full, adjust volume fully to natural (loud) levels, then reduce from that to desired listening levels with the loudness knob which progressively overlays the Fletcher-Munsen type compensation to the signal.
This, plus a decent parametric EQ (to compensate for speakers and room) and you're done! Or skip the parametric if you have a great room and speakers.

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:15 am »
Total silliness.  This "industry" leaves me in side-splitting laughter all the time.

Dave.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:22 am »
Hi,

Well I guess it is a bit pricey but I've seen component cables sell for so much more.  Anyway an interesting product but one which I really don't need at this point in time.

Regards Rod

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2014, 06:14 am »

Hi Charmerci,

This is Alberto, the guy behind The Delicious One. I hope it's OK to post to defend/explain myself (if not, apologies to the moderators and please feel free to delete this post.)

I can't disagree with your assessment. The Limited Edition of The Delicious One is expensive because I personally, build, burn-in and test each one by hand and some of the components I use are quite expensive until I can get them in quantity. The solid aluminum knob alone costs me $35 at this time.

It's my dream and objective to make it much less expensive; but, as I am working on that I am starting to understand why some seemingly simple audio components (e.g. cables, stands, etc.) can cost so much ... and why so many manufacturers go to China to lower prices.

I know this is a lame defense, but some the interconnects I am using cost more than The Delicious One ... I just had to say that  :D .

Anyway, fair comment and characterization ... I am myself embarrassed and disappointed that I can't make it cheaper yet, while maintaining the quality. But I am working on it.

Alberto

It's rather funny that this "2nd" comment came up well after some of the other posts. (Due to the fact that AC doesn't post first comments until a period of time has elapsed.

Anyway, Alberto something like this may find its niche but my pocketbook is too small for this. Good luck. (I don't think anyone expected you to register and reply!)

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2014, 10:55 am »
What does the toggle switch do?

Nick77

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm »
   They might be more successful in getting more units out for evaluation if they built a simple utilitarian box that does the same thing for less than $100.  If someone really likes what it does for their system and wants to go all out, they can upgrade to the "big knob" premium box for the price difference.

I like the idea and would like to try one in my system, i often wish i could warm up female voices a tiny bit more.
Maybe a no frills tour model could could go out for valuable exposure and feedback?? I would sign up.......

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:50 pm »
What does the toggle switch do?
Bypass.

Doc

srb

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:00 pm »
I had a variable loudness control on a McIntosh C26 preamp some years ago, but I wouldn't want to add one to a preamp or integrated amp that would also necessitate adding one or possibly two additional pairs of interconnects to the system.

Steve

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:01 pm »
It looks like a variation on the Yamaha loudness knob which used to be part of most Yamaha receivers. I think the concept is a clever one and very valid for a minimalist set up which has no tone control at all, and often wondered why other receiver designers did not include something similar on their products. My assumption is that either Yamaha had patent protection or the whole idea was a little too confusing for the average user.
The procedure with the Yamaha was to turn the loudness knob up full, adjust volume fully to natural (loud) levels, then reduce from that to desired listening levels with the loudness knob which progressively overlays the Fletcher-Munsen type compensation to the signal.
This, plus a decent parametric EQ (to compensate for speakers and room) and you're done! Or skip the parametric if you have a great room and speakers.

I think my old Nakamachi TA-3 had the the same type of circuit.  It worked pretty well, from what I remembered.

sebrof

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:40 pm »

Hi Charmerci,

I know this is a lame defense, but some the interconnects I am using cost more than The Delicious One ... I just had to say that  :D.

Alberto

Thanks for a great response.
I don't (think I) need one, but it does seem like it could be useful in some systems. The price is something that everyone will have an opinion on. Some people pay more money for things than I will, some won't. But at least from your post the price makes some sense.

Alberto DeRoma

• Industry Participant
  • Delicious Sound Hound
    • Delicious Decibels
« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm »

It's rather funny that this "2nd" comment came up well after some of the other posts. (Due to the fact that AC doesn't post first comments until a period of time has elapsed.

Anyway, Alberto something like this may find its niche but my pocketbook is too small for this. Good luck. (I don't think anyone expected you to register and reply!)

Well, Charmerci, I tried to keep my mouth shut ( and that's might have been the best course of action  :D ) but you raised a fair issue regarding the price and I felt the urge to respond and to explain, hopefully without sounding too defensive or violating forum rules.

Pricing has been an issue for me too. Unless I skimp on components, or value my own time at an hourly rate that is less than 1/3 the cost of a plumber or auto-mechanic around here ($90 and $120/hr respectively as I've recently found out) it's hard to bring the price down for the hand-made version. It's not greed, it's survival. It was a wake up call for me too how much it costs to manufacture things in the US--especially at small scale.

As far as joining AudioCircle to reply, I consider that a bonus since there's a lot of interesting discussions and people around here  :thumb:.

Bottom line. Fair comment on your part, and I really appreciate the opportunity to address in the context of a polite and civilized exchange of opinions.

Alberto

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:54 pm »
Thanks Doc!

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2014, 03:18 pm »
Sorry, i didnt know a plumber or mechanics gets pay that high. Maybe ive out of the States too long but is this correct?   I think i might consider getting some more degrees now.

Regarding the product, i think is some what expensive that may find its niche market. One thing i noticed is the discription of the functions of the unit might be blant as people seem to have different interpretation of sonic adjective.

Bemopti123

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2014, 03:46 pm »
Audio in the 70s....50X knobs, bass, treble, presence, loudness, surround, delay, quadraphonic.

Audio in the 80s....  50X-50X= no tone controls, just balance, volume and perhaps gain.

Audio in the 90s..... repeat the 80s.

Audio in the new millennia.... parametric, computerized, DSP, no gain, to no nothing.

Audio in the new newly discovered, terra incognita of audio, an iteration of everything before but add marketing and a bit of artisan craftsmanship, at a price.

If you feel you need it, buy it but adding more to the circuit path that you have been clearing of extraneous circuits and components, might lead to not so pleasant effects or audio nirvana.   

Each one to his/her own.