Has the SS8 killed the SS10/12?

herb999

Has the SS8 killed the SS10/12?
« on: 10 Dec 2013, 12:20 am »
Haven't seen any posts about the 10s and 12s for a long time.
Are SS8s so good and priced so right that they have complete domination?

Herb

Austin08

Re: Has the SS8 killed the SS10/12?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:15 am »
I think the main reason is the SS10/12 is harder to drive. If you put in the price of the SS10/12 and a bunch of money for a good solid amp. The price may go up to $20,000 easily.
Another reason is some like the look of them, some said they look like thomas train.

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2013, 07:36 pm »
For me, I couldn't afford the 10s/12s.  Even if I could, I probably still would have gone with the 8s for the form factor as well as price/performance ratio.  I largely chose Salk Soundscapes for the mids/tweeter, so paying a lot more for a different woofer section wouldn't make sense for my application. 

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2013, 12:41 am »
I had a chance to hear an HT2-TL next to a SS10.  I can't help but think the minimal baffle design of the SS10 had something to do with the high end sounding a bit more natural and open.

If space and budget weren't an issue, I would go for an SS10/12 over an SS8.  But then I've not heard the SS8 (yet....JonnyFive isn't the only one waiting for his SS8 to arrive ;) )

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2013, 04:44 pm »
I emailed Jim a few months back. I think there was an issue getting the drivers for SS 10s and 12s from  the same supplier. I think he's looking at other venders. 

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2013, 06:46 pm »
Pete is correct.  We have had trouble getting woofers produced for the SS10's and SS12's.  The SS10 issues have been resolved and we have woofers in stock.  But the SS12 issues are more challenging.  We will continue working on this and hope to have it solved in the near future.  In the mean time, we are not currently accepting orders for the SS12's.

That said, we have had quite a few customers call and inquire about both of those models.  When we dug a little deeper, we found that the amp they intended to use with the speakers really wasn't up to the task.  Both of these models require a good bit of power to perform at their best.  So we suggested they consider the SS8's instead.  I have told more than a few people that we would build SS8's for them and if, after getting the SS8's, they still thought they needed the SS10's or SS12's, we would build a pair of them and they could use the SS8's until the replacement speakers were finished.  We would then simply exchange the speakers.  In every case, the customers were very happy with the SS8's and had no desire to upgrade.

Sure, we would love to sell higher-priced models.  But the important thing is that the customer gets something that works well for them.  And when you consider that there isn't all that much difference in terms of bass extension between these models, the SS8's are often a more appropriate speaker in a given situation.

So, yes, the SS8's did cut into SS10's and SS12's sales.  But that is OK.  As long as the customer is extremely happy with their speakers they get, saving a few bucks never hurts.

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2013, 08:59 pm »
^^^^
 well said,Jim. After I got my SS8, for nearly two years I haven't though of changing out my speaker. Any though of on-wall speaker design that worthy to earn the Sounscape name?

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2013, 09:29 pm »
Any though of on-wall speaker design that worthy to earn the Soundscape name?

That is a tough one.  I suppose we could build an on-wall version of the SoundScape M7 Monitors.  Those were designed for surround duty initially.  But since it is a 3-way design, the cabinets would be quite large and heavy.  If we did anything to address the weight and size issue, we would likely do a 2-way.  In that case, using great drivers, we would end up with an on-wall Veracity HT1 (which we already have). 

I suppose it all comes down to having a customer interested enough to have us model an on-wall M7 cabinet to see what we end up with.  It may be workable.

- Jim

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2013, 03:57 am »
The M7s are the best surround speakers ever!  :D

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2013, 05:51 pm »
I'd love to hear the SS8 side by side with the SS12 on my system, but that will never happen. Has anybody done this (perhaps at a trade show)?

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:32 am »
Jim
Is the accuton mid available in black or only white?

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2013, 01:16 pm »
Jim
Is the accuton mid available in black or only white?

Only in white.

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2013, 03:12 am »
Gee

I feel like the poster boy for this thread

I ordered my SS10s in late 2011. These are the most beautiful speakers in person (Thomas the Tank Engine? withstanding)

During the 6 month mark my speakers were coming into being Jim and Dennis developed the SS8

I question whether I would have gone that route if the timing were different, well once maybe twice

I have had a pair of HT3s since early 2007. 

Although I haven't heard the SS8, i almost did another RMAF trip just to hear them. I can definitely hear elements of more sonic clarity with the cost no object  SS10/12 design over my faithful HT3. The isolated drivers / cabinets and virtually 180 degree dispersion pattern of the Raal enclosure make for unreal imaging and separation of detail that just has to be heard.

The big issue with the SS10s is efficiency. They take alot more power.
Synergy is key.  I have tried a number of amp configurations
Frank Van Alstine's 600r is the best match for adequately driving and bringing out all the richness of the SS10s

I would love to bi- amp Atmaphere's - they just wont work with low efficiency, low ohm speakers even if you take the woofer load off them

The SS8 sounds like such a fabulous model - feature, price and efficiency wise

I 've been real tempted to have Jim build me the Soundscape 8 center channel for my HT

Expect that phone call any day

Ern Dog

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2013, 03:27 am »
AudioTom,
Out of curiosity, which amps have you tried on your SS10's?

Thanks,
Ernie

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:43 pm »
I use a low voltage ( 0.24mv) moving coil cartridge on my analog setup
so my power demands are a lot higher than most

I shouldn't have, but tried to use a pair of Atma Sphere MA1 140 watt monoblocks which are tube amps with 19 tubes per side.

This is a transformerless approach, not designed for low impedance loads or low efficiency speakers

The Atmas sound glorious with very high efficiency speakers and are highly sought after

The Van Alstine has a great synergy with the SS10s so anyone considering the speakers has a very cost effective, great sounding amp option.
Hats off to Frank and Jim on that one

Tom
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm by audiotom »