Do i need a cd player

sugbob21

Do i need a cd player
« on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:43 pm »
my cd player died recently and was wondering if i need to replace it at all. i was using mainly as a transport, into a Schiit dac . Most of my cd's have been ripped into my Mac Mini and usind Audirvana for palyback which sounds much better than playing the cd directly through the dac.  So do i really need to replace the cdp at all ?   I guess i am answering my own question but would like to hear other opinions. BTW i have over 4000 cds ...not all are ripped permanently into Mac and i do have a 1 terrabyte backup.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Do i need a cd player
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:51 pm »
I moved this cuz it does not deal with HiRez Music.  However, I meant to move it to "Discless Circle".  My bad.

I would say "no", by the way.  Just finish ripping the rest of your cds, or find someone to do it for you.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:53 pm »
BTW i have over 4000 cds ...not all are ripped permanently into Mac and i do have a 1 terrabyte backup.
You will need more storage if you are using a lossless format for ripping (which you should). 

or find someone to do it for you.
One good reason to have kids.   :P

sugbob21

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:40 pm »
thanks !  i can now use the funds to purchase another  goodie.  Putting the kid to work ,,,good idea ! :D

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:20 pm »
NAS devices for storage seem popular. I have mine on a regular ext HD. But if I were to do all that ripping again, I would go with a redundant, reliable storage system.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:25 pm »
Yes, and I would use DBpoweramp to do the ripping.  You can set it up to populate the hard drive with a template (i.e FLAC, uncompressed, always put in "Lossless" directory, folder name is artist-album and each track is track_number-artist-track_name-album.......or whatever you want).  Your kids will not have to do anything but keep feeding the cd reader.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:33 pm »
Yes, I use a NAS and another computer (Mac laptop) that runs XLD for Cd ripping.  Works very well as I can sit on the sofa with my wife and rip Cd's.   :)   It makes for one heck of a date night. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:12 pm »
I have a CD player sitting in my rack right above my macmini, if I want to listen to a CD I haven't ripped yet I just stuff it in the macmini and burn it, then listen to it. Can't think of a reason to have the CD player.

Greg

WC

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:25 pm »
I am using a CD/DVD player. I have been buying quite a few CDs and I used to rip them all to the music server, but I ended up with a bunch of music that I have yet to listen to. Now I listen to the albums on the CD player first, then rip them. Works for me, but when the CD player dies I won't replace it I will just rip the CDs and listen to them in an more orderly fashion. I currently have about 85 CDs stacked up waiting to be listened to. I usually pick up 3 to 15 new CDs a week depending on where I go shopping and what new releases are out.

Brandon

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2013, 11:35 pm »
Newbie question: do DBpoweramp or XLD (both mentioned above) or whatever provide better quality ripped files? Or do you use them just for the convenience and organisation of the files? Most of my discs are classical, and iTunes isn't great at dealing with classical data... if there's a better way to rip them, I should grab it now before I start into those thousands of discs.

To the topic at hand, my CD player also plays SACD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-Audio - and it's my video player as well - so I'll keep it for the foreseeable future. But hopefully it won't get much use as a Red Book CD player moving forward. (And at some point I hope to take SACD etc duties away from it as well.)

Johlke

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:29 am »
If you have a good number of CDs that you haven't ripped and that you want to listen to AND you watch Blu-ray movies then I'd at least consider buying an Oppo universal disk player.  Plus, you can use the Oppo as your DAC.

Silver disks are going to be around for a while and for the money the Oppo will play most of them and do it pretty well.  Just a thought.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:38 am »
..or you can run down to your local thrift shops or use cragslist and pick up a used one for 10 bucks to have around for convenience.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
I moved this cuz it does not deal with HiRez Music.  However, I meant to move it to "Discless Circle".  My bad.

I would say "no", by the way.  Just finish ripping the rest of your cds, or find someone to do it for you.

I agree, so I moved it to the Discless Circle.

2 channel man

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2013, 05:23 am »
How many cd's do you own? do you enjoy the interaction of opening a new disc and putting it on? Are you a fashion weeny? These are questions you must ask yourself before you make up your mind . Just because cd players are out of fashion doesn't mean that they suck .

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:12 pm »
I think it is good to have a CDP in the house especially if, like me, you still buy CD's. Some of my friends are like "You still buy CD's?" I have a few reasons for this, which I tell them:

1. A lot of music I enjoy isn't available for lossless or high res DL
2. I like being able to easily do pretty much whatever I want with the music I purchase
3. Physical albums sometimes come with exclusive cover art and inserts etc. which I think is cool
4. I find physically looking for an album kind of fun ; Nostalgic even

WireNut

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:59 pm »
If you listen to ripped CD's thru a computer do they sound as good as the original thru a CDP or transport/dac or is it more for convenience?

sugbob21

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2013, 04:25 pm »
bought a cheap Sony to use as a transport with my Schiit gugnir DAC . i have a few thousand cd's so still need one. and yes they do sound better ripped to Mac and played back with Audirvana.  sometimes i just want to play one thats not ripped .

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:37 am »
I still buy CDs, but… I rip them to lossless and store the ripped files on my computer (some of my discs I have never even played directly).

Quiet Earth

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:50 am »
If you listen to ripped CD's thru a computer do they sound as good as the original thru a CDP or transport/dac or is it more for convenience?

If you have a cheap CD player, then the computer sounds pretty good.
If you have a great CD player, then the computer sounds really bad.

Someday, the computer will catch up. It's just a matter of time.

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2013, 05:00 am »
In your particular situation, I would say no. It would be nice to have a cheapo transport on hand in the event something happens to your computer. At least you won't be high and dry.