Light Harmonic Geek Pulse DAC on indiegogo

jeffh

Light Harmonic Geek Pulse DAC on indiegogo
« on: 30 Oct 2013, 06:45 pm »
Light Harmonic Geek Pulse DAC. A new campaign as a follow up to the successful Geek kickstarter campaign last month.

$249 if you get in now.

http://igg.me/at/geekpulseaudio/x/5206537

Here are the specs for the DAC copied form indiegogo

Digital Inputs    USB 2.0
Toslink
SPDIF 1 - RCA
SPDIF 2 - RCA
Analog Outputs    Line Out: Single-ended, gold plated RCA
Output Impedance: 47 Ohm
Output Voltage: 4Vrms fixed

Headphone: 1/4" stereo jack
Output Impedance: 0.47 Ohm
Output Voltage: 7Vrms max variable

Volume Control    Buttons on front panel plus operating system control.

Volume attenuation information from operating system sends data to Geek Pulse, which then implements the volume control internally.
Native PCM Decoding    44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, & 384 kHz / 16, 24, 32 bit
Native DSD Decoding    2.822, 3.072, 5.644, 6.144 MHz / 1 bit
Analog Output Stage    Pure Class A Line Level Out
THD+N    better than 0.005%
SNR    110dB (unweighted)
115dB (A-weighted)
Jitter Removal Technology    Patent Pending: 3L buffer by Light Harmonic
Dual loop re-clock for all digital audio inputs

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
Re: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse DAC on indiegogo
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:50 pm »
I think it's a fascinating story. A herald of things to come?

Geek Pulse Triples Goal In One Day

Geek Pulse Crowd Sourcing Campaign Blows By Goal In First 8 Hours

I think maybe so. Be interesting who the first successful copycat will be. There's a formula in there, somewhere. Not sure if it's headphone-related, price-related, social-media savvy or what (or some combo), but I can only imagine that a whole lot of hi-fi manufacturers are saying "Well, that's interesting."

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2013, 09:43 am »
Um, well LH isn't the first to use crowdfunding. The Orbit turntable and Jim Hagerman's Bugle 2 are two examples.

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2013, 04:00 pm »
I decided you pull the trigger before all the Super Early Bird Geek Pulse packages were gone.  I plan to replace my HRT Music Streamer II in my desktop system with the Geek Pulse.  I have wanted to upgrade the HRT and get a headphone amp, so this takes care of both.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2013, 05:40 pm »
Is the Pulse the same as the mini Geek (aside from the additional outputs)?  It looks cool and the price is good. I just hate buying things without being able to return them or compare to other similar items.  IFI has a new DSD DAC and it's only $150 or so.  They also have a return policy, as does Schiit.  Is there an advantage buying the Geek, which you can't return and not many people have heard? 

Thanks,
J

jeffh

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2013, 09:18 pm »
Is the Pulse the same as the mini Geek (aside from the additional outputs)?  It looks cool and the price is good. I just hate buying things without being able to return them or compare to other similar items.  IFI has a new DSD DAC and it's only $150 or so.  They also have a return policy, as does Schiit.  Is there an advantage buying the Geek, which you can't return and not many people have heard?

From the Geek Pulse FAQ located HERE:

• What is the difference between Geek Pulse and Geek Out?
    Geek Pulse is a desktop version of Geek Out; the conversion and analog circuits are shared by both products. The difference between them is mostly in the power circuit. The USB bus powers Geek Out. A very clean DC power circuit powers Geek Pulse. Additionally, Geek Pulse has multiple digital inputs and has both a headphone output and a line stage output.
I can't argue with the issues you have brought up.  All very good valid points.  For me, I guess I am will to take a chance on this product based on the reputation of the Da Vinci DAC, the low price, the fact that I already want to upgrade my current DAC and  I want to add a headphone amp to my desktop system. It also seems that they are open to input from their supporters, so the final specs are subject to change based on all the suggestions being discussed.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2013, 10:31 pm »

Thanks,
J

Just curious as to where you saw the ifi dsd dac

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2013, 11:28 pm »
Just curious as to where you saw the ifi dsd dac

From the iFi Facebook page:

DZetye

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2013, 11:43 pm »
I preordered one yesterday for $189 + $10 priority shipping.  I am very excited to try DSD and if it doesn't work out for me I figured I wouldn't lose much if I resold it.  Release is scheduled for December.

yeldarb

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2013, 02:38 am »
I went for the combo Geek Out and the Pulse.  Got modded Fostex phones that need some power.  My laptop will drive them but barely.

DZetye

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:04 pm »
Geek Pulse looks better but I didn't want to wait until April

dirk

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:41 am »
@DZetye   Where did you order ?
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2013, 03:59 pm by dirk »

yeldarb

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2013, 07:00 pm »
Now available, a bluetooth device.

DZetye

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2013, 07:52 pm »
preorders for the IFI Nano DSD DAC email:

DCensullo@avataracoustics.com

thats where IFI sent me to preorder

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2013, 06:57 am »
Um, maybe start a separate thread for that one?

jeffh

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2013, 08:04 pm »
They have added a few things to the campaign since it started.  Now all Pulse supporters get a get a 1M LightSpeed Jr. USB Cable included with the Pulse.

They also added the Geek Pulse X, which is a balanced version of Geek Pulse. It will cost a bit more than the regular Pulse.

yeldarb

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2013, 03:54 am »
And now there is an upgraded clock option, if you have bought in.  Also, a linear power supply, if you think you need one.

kbuzz3

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2013, 12:56 am »
well my 189 price wont hold due some mix up with pre orders. looks like im going forma,refund and an idsd.  too bad. 

yeldarb

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2013, 05:27 pm »
You can now get Pulse S, which has dual mono constuction of the X, without balanced connects.  There is now an UPGRADE to passive components available which could also include upgraded active opamps.  (you will have to read about it)

So, dual mono, femto clocks, first class parts, high headphone output, will work as a pre-amp;  this thing could be a monster.  And you can get a linear power supply, for 1 or up to 4 components, if you desire.

If interested, best hurry.

jeffh

« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2013, 10:43 pm »
One week left on this campaign.  Check it out if you have not looked at it.  They have raised over $909,000 so far.  If it reaches $1M all of the Pulse DAC's will receive upgraded components.

Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone Amplifier