SOLD:Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32S dac

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
SOLD:Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32S dac
« on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:28 pm »
Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32S digital analog converter - fully differential outputs.

The front panel is black anodized and comes with the enclosure - from DIY Hifi Supply, it was fully engraved and infilled using Front Panel Express software. The graphics of the Twisted Pear and Buffalo were imported into Corel Draw, modified for increased resolution and then exported to FPE.

This is the rear panel. Pretty self explanatory. IEC is a Furutech. Switch is from Radio Shack. Vampire RCA posts and Neutrik XLR's. Digital input was WBT RCA/75 ohms, but has been switched to Vampire BNC recently for even better performance. The rear isn't engraved because it is a painted black aluminum, not anodized in other words.

Inside full view. Pretty classical layout. Keep AC components on one side and DC on other. You will see that a good 75% of this enclosure is occupied with power supply components.

Felix IEC filter as detailed elsewhere on this site. It's now a permanent part of my builds.

Hammond dual bobbin/split bobbin transformers, eliminates the need for an electrostatic shield between the primary and secondaries. Also provides for some high frequency filtering from the AC line. One 1A transformer for each of the three supplies (digital, positive analog, negative analog). Each transformer is carefully placed 90 degrees to the other to minimize hum. All AC wiring is twisted.

These are the 3 Peter Daniel CRC supplies. Each capacitor is a 15,000 uf Mundorf electrolytic. The diodes are MUR 3060 three pin, hexfred technology.

Paul Hynes shunt regulators. One for each supply. Ensures nearly complete isolation. I could've gone further and designed in separate analog supplies for each phase/channel! No space though.

The Twisted Pear Buffalo 32S board. Has its own onboard IVY II analog output board with relays so you don't hear a 'pop' from your speakers when you turn the dac off. The output voltage is set at 4V rms (balanced output). The unbalanced/RCA output is 2V rms. SPDIF input has now been changed to BNC but if the buyer meets my price and really wants RCA, I can switch it to RCA fairly easily.

Forgot to mention that the top cover has some scratches on it. Unfortunately, it arrived that way from DIYHIFI Supply. A skilled DIY'er could repaint the cover if need be. Doesn't change the sound however! So Audiogon 7/10.

Price: $550 + shipping + 3% paypal.

Thanks for looking!

Anand.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2014, 12:11 am by poseidonsvoice »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32S dac
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
Great seller here!  Awesome DIY guy too.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:17 pm »
Great guy, trusted seller, and amazing workmanship.  Very impressive DAC. :thumb:

thomashek

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:56 am »
Nice diy job :-)

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2013, 10:08 am »
Impressive, bump for a great seller.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2013, 03:42 pm »
Bump!  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm »
I have found great success buying  8)  but little success selling  :? .  If I could sell something, I would purchase this DAC.  :D

Bump for a generous colleague.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:00 am »
I have found great success buying  8)  but little success selling  :? .  If I could sell something, I would purchase this DAC.  :D

Bump for a generous colleague.

Thanks.

New price.

Best,

Anand.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:55 am »
Anand, that is a great looking DAC.  Your DIY skills are superb as always.   If I didn't have a great dac I love, I'd buy it off you.   

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
PM sent.

Gene

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:41 pm »
PM replied.

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:09 pm »
Bumpety!

Best,
Anand.

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:09 am »
I wanted this from day one, but don't have the money  :bawl:

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2013, 06:10 pm by WireNut »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2013, 02:31 am »
Bump!

Derockster

« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
Hi Anand,

I have been watching this Dac from the moment it was listed and am truly tempted to purchase but, I need for this to be the last dac I am going to buy. In other words I need for it to meet my musical needs. I am presently using a Musical fedility A3-24 dac and whilst I find it quite to my likings it does have somewhat of a thin sound to me. On the other hand while I am looking for a fuller sound I still want that neutral sound/tone. Can you please describe your Dac in terms of it's sound and whether it has a neutral sound or warm?

Regards

Cleaton

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2013, 09:30 pm »
Hi Anand,

I have been watching this Dac from the moment it was listed and am truly tempted to purchase but, I need for this to be the last dac I am going to buy. In other words I need for it to meet my musical needs. I am presently using a Musical fedility A3-24 dac and whilst I find it quite to my likings it does have somewhat of a thin sound to me. On the other hand while I am looking for a fuller sound I still want that neutral sound/tone. Can you please describe your Dac in terms of it's sound and whether it has a neutral sound or warm?

Regards

Cleaton

I would definitely not characterize this dac as warm. Warm would be my non-oversampling dac from a Peter Daniel design (TDA1543). This dac is definitely neutral but not edgy in my system. I am not familiar with the Musical Fidelity A3-24 myself, but, you might want to ask others who have heard that dac versus a dac designed around a Sabre 9018 dac engine which is the chip that this dac uses and is the premium version that Sabre sells: http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9018%20ES9012%20Product%20Brief.pdf

Kind regards,

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2013, 09:43 pm »
I'm very surprised this sac is still available.  Steal for this money!