Lampizator Dac tube rolling experiences and suggestions.

wisnon

Hi all,

I think its time to start a less clumsy tube rolling thread than the one at Audiogon that is overly regulated.

Let me start of by saying that the ECC40 does have one viable tube roll. All others save for the Tungsram ECC40 are identical and made by Phillips, no matter the brand indicated. The Tungsram tube is shorter and reportedly more robust and has more clarity in the midrange.

These can be found on Ebay for like $30 each, including delivery.

Glory talks about the Bendix tubes, so I will allow him to elaborate on that if he stops by.

Tungsol rectifier tubes for both the 6x5 an the 5Y3s are also supposed to be better than stock even if below the Bendixes (5852, etc).

Big Red Machine

Re: Lampizator Dac tube rolling experiences and suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm »
What are the tube types that are interchangeable with 6x5's?  I'd like to try some but do not know what will work versus cause a electrical oops.

Then I might be able to catch up with you here after I get some to try.

I've been rolling Dude 6SN7's for 10 days segregating them into blah versus energetic - all while not changing anything else.

Berto

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2013, 12:13 am »
THe Bendix 5852s are interchangeable. Personally I do not like them. The 6x5 Tungsols with Staggered plates are my favorite. Just as detailed as Bendix but more musical IMO. If you shop around you can find them cheap.

setamp

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:13 pm »
My L4G4 came equipped with a 5U4C.  I tried a Sylvania 5R4GYB that worked well in another amp but found it to be too soft and laid back in the Lampi.  Next up was the Bendix 6106.  It was a real improvement in the highs and mids but a little quiet in the bass.  I am now experimenting with a Valvo GZ34 recommended by Lukasz.  My initial impression is bass weight, volume and control are excellent.  HF's are extended and brighter.  There is a bit of grain/glare in the upper mids - not much but I am very sensitive to this.  I suspect it is a tube burn-in issue and expect it to smooth out nicely after 24 hours.  If this doesn't happen, I'll go back to the Bendix.

I found the L4G4 to be very sensitive to feet.  I have tried Herbies tenderfeet and iso-cups, Ingress Engineering roller block type feet and ceramic DH Cones.  So far I like the DH Cones followed by Herbies Iso-cups.  I am sure there are much better alternatives and I hope others will share their experience.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:21 pm »
Some people swear by Sistrum Apprentice stands for the Lampi.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:55 pm »
Some people swear by Sistrum Apprentice stands for the Lampi.

I use nothing but Sistrums, so the Lampi DSD-only DAC, when it arrives from Scot, will be Sistrum-ized.

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:26 pm »
Nice...I heard a lot about them....

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm »
I've got a Tungsol 6x5 and ECC40's on the way

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2013, 11:31 pm »
So who got that pair of Tungsram ecc40's from eBay today??? Only ones I could find around right now.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2013, 02:24 pm by jriggy »

setamp

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:11 pm »
With ~30 hours on the Valvo GZ34, this rectifier has smoothed out a LOT.  Highs are better than the  6106.  Mids are smoother but not quite as dynamic as the 6106.  Bass is a little better controlled and a little weightier than the bendix but the difference is closing.  I'll put 50 hours on the Valvo GZ34 and swap out for the Bendix 6106 next weekend to make a decision.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:30 pm »
So who got that pair of Tungsram ecc40's from eBay today??? Only ones I could find around right now.

It was probably me!  And I probably overpaid?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:49 pm »
Yeah.  Someone said Tungsram was the only other alternative.

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:57 pm »
Yes, I did. The T's are shorter and have no "skirt". Look at the links above and compare the £22 German one to the fake one I indicated and you will see the physical difference.

Only the T's were not made by Phillips in the NL...brand be damned.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:01 pm »
So, in summary, what are the rollable tubes in the DSD-only DAC (i.e does the DSD-only have same tubes)?  I don't have it yet but might want to tube roll (I have boatload of AU7 variants, bu those are ineligible here).

wisnon

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:43 pm »
Depends on which output tubes it has...likely ECC40 and so the Tungsram is the only real roll there. Of course you can also roll the Rectifier tube, whiich could be 6x5 or 5Y3. 6x5 is the technically more elegant solution of the 2, but the 5Y has more rolling options. The 6x5 still has a lot of rolling options though.

The DSD-Dac could also have 6h8 tubes, aka 6Ns7...that too has a lot of rolling options that people tout, ie Raytheon, Tung Sol, etc.

When will you get the Dac?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:49 pm »
Dunno...Scot hasn't sent yet.  I have the holy grail of 6SN7s, the black glass Tung Sol round plates.

jriggy

« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm »
It was probably me!  And I probably overpaid?
I didn't mean to bid you up BRM, I was honestly trying to get them. But ya got me by a buck!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »
Dunno...Scot hasn't sent yet.  I have the holy grail of 6SN7s, the black glass Tung Sol round plates.
:nono:   I've got Pope Hollands.  :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:22 am »
I didn't mean to bid you up BRM, I was honestly trying to get them. But ya got me by a buck!

That's funny.  I had a feeling there were some AC'rs out there hunting for these. :lol: