Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

BrystonNut

• Bryston, there is no substitute!
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:29 pm »
I am really looking forward to the next iteration of software for my BDP1, I just browsed through this forum but couldn't find a release date?

Sorry if this has been asked already a million times... :duh:

PS. If there is a chance for a BETA release I would be willing to try it and report back any issues :thumb:

hal jones

« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:54 pm »
^
Me too. The screenshots look great !!  :hyper:

skunark

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2013, 06:16 am »
Chris,

A few more album art wishes:
* Support for multiple images in a folder - mostly for the max interface unless you can influence the iOS/android app devs to support the basic names cover, front, back, folder.
* Allow the user to select the preferred cover art name.  Typically the current ripping/tagging programs I use is configured can provide cover, front, back, spine and folder versions and can even provide multiple versions (cover (1).jpg cover (2).jpg).
* Configurable location for album art files.

Is there an order of precedence with the cover art?  i.e. 1) image file(s) in folder, 2) extract image(s) from media file to image file(s), and 3) download image file(s)?  If so some might find it desirable to disable one or more of these steps.   

Jim

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:36 pm »
Hi Jim,

There are some rules already in place but they are hard coded in, i will look into providing a method to customize to the order and names.

Cheers,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

In my office playing DSD Files on Chris's new Manic Moose BDP-2 Software

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:10 pm »

Current Work:

-integrating new web interface as pictured below, once we get a bit further into this and develop a method to allow customers to load firmwares from loony loon and manic moose when we begin releasing public beta's.  Also you may wish to invest in a cf card reader and torx 8 screw driver in case something goes wrong.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Windows.pdf

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 4 Nov 2013, 07:33 pm »
Dear Chris,
Thank you for the DSD playback you made possible for me tonight.
You do your job very well.
Good night!
Yours. Dario.

Inviato da iPhone

Btw, a public Beta will be posted sometime this week, likely Tuesday (nov 5) or Wednesday (nov 6) depending on how busy I get.  If you wish to participate i would highly recommend that you confirm that you can take the cover off of your BDP (we've had a few complaints about stripping screws and yes we are working on resolving this in manufacturing); you'll need a torx 8 screw driver to take the top off.  Also a compact flash card reader to re-image the flash drive to go back to loony loon (current stable release) or if the manic moose upgrade fails, which it could as we've only tested a handful of units.

Wim J

« Reply #27 on: 5 Nov 2013, 08:53 am »
Btw, a public Beta will be posted sometime this week, likely Tuesday (nov 5) or Wednesday (nov 6) depending on how busy I get.  If you wish to participate i would highly recommend that you confirm that you can take the cover off of your BDP (we've had a few complaints about stripping screws and yes we are working on resolving this in manufacturing); you'll need a torx 8 screw driver to take the top off.  Also a compact flash card reader to re-image the flash drive to go back to loony loon (current stable release) or if the manic moose upgrade fails, which it could as we've only tested a handful of units.

I have both!   :D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2013, 11:07 pm »
How do I get the Beta?
Before you take part in install the manic moose beta onto your unit you'll want to make sure your able to take the top off of your unit, to do this you'll need a torx 8 screw driver and some patients/muscles as those screws are really on there.  You'll also need a compact flash card reader to reflash the CF card inside of the BDP that contains the firmware, instructions on how to do this can be found from this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Windows.pdf
Its software thats still in early development, things are bound to go wrong!

These instructions should provide you with everything to install manic moose on to your unit along with what to expect.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Manic%20Moose%20Upgrade%20Instructions.pdf

Once you have manic moose installed you'll likely want to upgrade to the latest nightly build, the link below explain how to do this
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Upgrading%20Manic%20Moose.pdf

Wim J

« Reply #29 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:30 am »

Hi Chris,
Some problems here with the update.
 It keeps asking me for a USB drive with more than 948MB available even if I put one in ( yes it is FAT32) I tried all USB ports, but without success. I tried several different thumb drives also.

Any ideas? or do I start looking for my Torx 8 screwdriver  :|

UPDATE: The ninth (yes 9) ! USB thumb drive I tried worked!
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2013, 10:41 am by Wim J »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:21 pm »
Hi Wim,

Did you restart the BDP after swapping the thumb drives?

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:57 pm »
Hi Chris,

Are there specific functions you're seeking feedback on at this point? It looks like many of the functions hinted at in the UI aren't coded in yet. I like the new library navigation. In my library, (/album artist/album/track.flac) if I click on an album that has an "&" in the folder name, I can't see a track listing. I only get "loading..."

Cheers,
Gary 

Wim J

« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2013, 02:14 pm »
Hi Wim,

Did you restart the BDP after swapping the thumb drives?

Cheers
Chris
Chris,

Yes I did, but Manic Mosse is active now.
One thing I noticed is that the refresh is not  OK. In the media view screen You have song title on top under that some controls, and under that you have the progression bar. A the left side there's a field displaying the playlist. The playing song is indicated by a speaker symbol.
The song indicated by the speakersymbol is correct but the big title in the middle of the screen stays at the first song I played. The progression bar refreshes OK, but not the song title! Everything is ok when performing a manual refresh, untill the next song starts,....

Also the display on the BDP1 is NOT refresshing AT ALL, teh first song I played is displayed, even after two hours of playing music (nope it was not in repeat-mode  :duh:)

Wim J

« Reply #33 on: 7 Nov 2013, 02:35 pm »
Chris,

Yes I did, but Manic Mosse is active now.
One thing I noticed is that the refresh is not  OK. In the media view screen You have song title on top under that some controls, and under that you have the progression bar. A the left side there's a field displaying the playlist. The playing song is indicated by a speaker symbol.
The song indicated by the speakersymbol is correct but the big title in the middle of the screen stays at the first song I played. The progression bar refreshes OK, but not the song title! Everything is ok when performing a manual refresh, untill the next song starts,....
Another thing to have a look at: When the artist name is containing & -character, song titles are not loading,...

Marius

« Reply #34 on: 7 Nov 2013, 04:58 pm »
Hi Chris,

Update seemed to go well, had to do 2 reboots, and the bdp1 fired up alright.

Can not play though.....

and can't find it on the network. It shows up as bdp in mac finder, (was bryston-bdp-1) but won't let me connect to it. I can't follow up with the further firmware upgrade you describe.

What to do?

nevermind, i found it with the IPaddress displayed on the frontpanel. Chris, downloading the upgrade now, will you make saving the file on elsewhere, preferably another computer, possible? Like to keep my music-drives away from computer setup issues.

Cheers,
Marius

mario09

« Reply #35 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:33 pm »
Chris,

How can I enabled airplay (shareplay) with ManicMoose? I tried to stream TuneIn Radio with my iPad and unfortunately it didńt work. My iPad see the BDP in the airplay menu.

Thank you.

Marius

« Reply #36 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:08 pm »
Hey Chris,

finally found the bdp in my safari browser, on bdp.local/bryston. That won't do it in Finder though. Might the fact that samba isn;t enabled have to do with that.... Please make that a no1 priority  :(

and, just to ask, might that be the reason there's a big 'Nope' on the network interfaces page, and only windows network shares are displayed....
MPD settings won't stick, neither do the services, and I need those...Depended on them heavily in the previous version...

i do hope you're working overtime at the moment..

You're preferred interface Mpod won;t read the BDP right now, in fact it throws it out of memory. MPAD does read it luckily. In fact it is the only way of operating it at the moment. Strange. Other than the frontbuttons of course.
Cant designate a drive for the album art yet?

Well, all in all, Ive managed the update without to big a hiccup, but you could have warned us Mac users......

Cheers and please work hard!

Marius

ps did I mention it looks mighty wonderful  :thumb: so much better than before. Thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #37 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:30 pm »
Hi Chris,

Update seemed to go well, had to do 2 reboots, and the bdp1 fired up alright.

Can not play though.....

and can't find it on the network. It shows up as bdp in mac finder, (was bryston-bdp-1) but won't let me connect to it. I can't follow up with the further firmware upgrade you describe.

What to do?

nevermind, i found it with the IPaddress displayed on the frontpanel. Chris, downloading the upgrade now, will you make saving the file on elsewhere, preferably another computer, possible? Like to keep my music-drives away from computer setup issues.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Do the songs appear in the database at all?  You can save firmware update to the BDP's internal storage.... assuming the partitioning worked correctly

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #38 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:36 pm »
Chris,

How can I enabled airplay (shareplay) with ManicMoose? I tried to stream TuneIn Radio with my iPad and unfortunately it didńt work. My iPad see the BDP in the airplay menu.

Thank you.

The airplay feature is still in very early development and i have yet to add anything to take into account having multiple programs attempting to access alsa at once.

Marius

« Reply #39 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:44 pm »
Hi Marius,

Do the songs appear in the database at all?  You can save firmware update to the BDP's internal storage.... assuming the partitioning worked correctly

Cheers,
Chris

Yes, I just discovered the Media button top right of the main window. All drives are found, and played thus far .
I know I can save the firmware to the internal storage, but thought you mentioned if things go wrong, we have to take the bdp apart.... So i took the risk of saving to the attached drives. which worked without a problem. Its just that before I had a download folder on my Mac, where i stored all update.bin files. Seems the save way, not to have to fiddle with the drives my life's work is stored... So, considers saving externally please?

o, and never mind my remarks about MPOD: I deleted it from my iphone, reinstalled, and bingo. Playing right now!

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2013, 09:47 pm by Marius »