Desktop bliss: RWA Sig 16 & Audience The One

brh

Desktop bliss: RWA Sig 16 & Audience The One
« on: 5 Sep 2013, 05:11 pm »
Hello all!

While back I posted my initial impressions of the current Signature 16 with both the bells & the whistles packages tacked on :wink:. But, as I stated, I was at the time working with what I had handy for desktop/bookshelf speakers - Audioengine P4s. Now, price isn't always everything, but clearly the two products were in different leagues, and an upgrade was definitely in my plans.

I have now swapped out the Audioengines for a pair of Audience Clairaudient 'The One's. While I also gave them the run-through with some lesser amps I had laying around, the plan is to use these with my Sig 16, at my desk, as my primary listening station (I'm a small spaces sort of a person). This combination sounds phenomenal, it is the essence of the word 'synergy' distilled. For those who don't know, 'The One' is a very small bookshelf speaker in a very unassuming cabinet, with two elements - a single 3" full-range driver that is like no other 3" driver I've ever experienced, and then a larger (approximately 4", excuse me for forgetting the exact size) passive radiator on the rear. It's an almost comical idea, attempting a truly large, full, cohesive sound from a tiny box with a 3" driver as the only active element, but I was blown away when I jokingly attempted - and then succeeded - to listen to Saint-Saëns' Organ Symphony.

But as much as I would love to simply swoon over the speakers, the level of detail, the speed and accuracy they want to show off really ask for a highly capable amp. They're not particularly efficient, and they kindly ask to not have too much power forced into them (there are still limits to a 3" driver), and for a nearfield, desktop setup... Everything just clicks into place with the Ones and the Sig 16. The amp shows that it can deliver startling accuracy while never sounding clinical or sterile. Nothing is harsh, no sound tries to bleed into the next, and nothing feels colored or unnecessarily forward. Everything is presented in a way that invites critical listening, but allows relaxing and dancing around a bit in one's seat.

This setup is stunning, plain and simple. For some reason they just feel like a natural pairing together, and I know one other member here saw them paired in a shop, I feel like I've heard others asking about the combo as well. So I just thought I'd throw my 2c out there and share my joy as best I could...

And here's where I'll close with the obligatory 'keep up the good work, Vinnie!' as this amp continues to please and surprise. You're doing something right, that's for sure!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Desktop bliss: RWA Sig 16 & Audience The One
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:25 pm »
Hi brh,

Thank you for your follow-up post.  It sounds like a really nice desktop system!

Here is a pic of the speakers - I never heard them, but hopefully will one-day in a near-field setup.

They are very attractive - enjoy them!

Vinnie