FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)

OSIB16

FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)
« on: 23 Aug 2013, 09:06 pm »
Hi everyone, I've made some further upgrades to my Custom Kismet Stratos Monoblocks. Added Pure SOLID SILVER Ribbon jumper wire for the large capacitors. Also DUELAND CAST COPPER Film Capacitor for bypassing the power supply on the board (this cap is the most expensive and exotic available anywhere). Finally I soldered the speaker binding posts directly onto the PCB. Sound quality is now in a new Super League compared to before. When playing music I am actually getting living breathing instruments and singers in and around my living room.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2018, 03:27 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

Re: FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2013, 09:08 pm »

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2013, 11:23 pm by OSIB16 »

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2013, 09:27 pm »
Awesome!

OSIB16

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2013, 06:06 pm »
Thanks. I reckon I've taken this amp as far as it can go in terms of modifications. I can't think of anything I've missed that can be improved with better components. I've put as many 'PURE SILVER' parts that I can install into it without making the Treble become too exuberant. I strongly feel that silver gives the sound a more 'Live Event' feeling, that I lust after. My goal was to achieve a NAIM AUDIO type of 'Sharp Precision' combined with MARK LEVINSON No33 '100 Percent Solid Holographic Soundstaging'. I feel that I've reached that threshold.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2013, 09:38 pm by OSIB16 »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2013, 06:53 pm »
Hi - I just bought a used Odyssey Stratos Plus.  What are the components you'd recommend I upgrade (I assume all the signal path caps and all the electrolytic caps except the big power supply tanks)?

OSIB16

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2013, 07:01 pm »
Hi - I just bought a used Odyssey Stratos Plus.  What are the components you'd recommend I upgrade (I assume all the signal path caps and all the electrolytic caps except the big power supply tanks)?

Hi Hank, many modifications for my amp were advised by Jeff Glowacki at www.soniccraft.com He will supply you with most of the parts (and at the best prices too). Give them a ring, they will point you in the right direction.

OSIB16

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2013, 07:04 pm »
A link to list of modification parts...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113700.0

Hank

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm »
Thanks, OISB16.  I bought the amp on eBay from a gent in Indianapolis, who is a friend  of Klaus and live nearby.  He is taking the amp to Klaus for a "tune up", as Klaus called it when I phoned him.  This is going to be interesting.

Hank

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2013, 11:31 pm »
After getting over the initial shock of your $4k - $5k cost of mods, I see that most of that is in the wire and construction of the two custom torroid xfrmrs. Delete those and the large black gates (klaus does not seem impressed by black gates), and the cost is quite low.  I'm getting interested...

OSIB16

« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2013, 01:02 am »
After getting over the initial shock of your $4k - $5k cost of mods, I see that most of that is in the wire and construction of the two custom torroid xfrmrs. Delete those and the large black gates (klaus does not seem impressed by black gates), and the cost is quite low.  I'm getting interested...

I disagree about the Black Gates. These are the top of the range NH MODEL. Klaus noticed a lack of deep bass with Black Gates in situ. After running mine in for 400 hours I can safely say - no problem in this area.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:42 am »
As with everything,  it's the balance of tweaks in your synergistic environment.....do I like Black Gates ???  Nope,  not at all....however,  if it works in these units for this system,  cool.   Yes,  the design reacts very well to changes and tweaks, that's why I was able to get to the Kismet stage in the first place....No,  about these Frankenstratos'...as I told you on the phone,  you're nuts.  Well done....

OSIB16

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2013, 09:20 pm »
Me Nuts? Probably :D But you wouldn't believe the astonishing sound these beauties can make :wink:.

Hank

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2013, 10:31 pm »
Klaus, my voltage average is 124 volts, NOT 125.  I counted the instances of my measurements over a week and had 12 instances of 124 volts, 4 of 125 and 7 of 123.  I'll call you with this also, since you don't seem to visit this site regularly   :wink:

srb

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:51 am »
Klaus, my voltage average is 124 volts, NOT 125.  I counted the instances of my measurements over a week and had 12 instances of 124 volts, 4 of 125 and 7 of 123.

You're doing quite well in the power utility delivery department to only have a variance of 2 volts.  Although I don't think the variance is enough to make much difference, the true average of your 23 readings is 123.9V.

Steve

Hank

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:15 am »
the true average of your 23 readings is 123.9V.
As I stated, 124 volts.  Go for it, Klaus!

hukkfinn

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2013, 03:13 pm »
I love the FrankenStratos!!   I think the Odyssey amps are just killer, and it makes perfect sense (to me) to max them out, as they seem to be made on a foundation of solid granite (engineering-wise).

I especially love the Duelund cap idea.  I've never heard one of these, just drooled from afar.  Can you tell us what kind of difference it made?

-Hukk

OSIB16

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2013, 08:48 pm »
I love the FrankenStratos!!   I think the Odyssey amps are just killer, and it makes perfect sense (to me) to max them out, as they seem to be made on a foundation of solid granite (engineering-wise).

I especially love the Duelund cap idea.  I've never heard one of these, just drooled from afar.  Can you tell us what kind of difference it made?

-Hukk

Compared to my previous STRATOS EXTREME MONOS the improvements are as follows....   25% more HOLOGRAPHIC sounding images. Completely TRANSPARENT to the point of no longer hearing the amps working at all. A significant extension of SOUNDSTAGE WIDTH as well as DEPTH. You can now hear sounds that appear to be coming from well outside the room boundaries (from the outdoor garden or street or even the kitchen). Dynamics have definitely improved by at least 25% - going from LOUD to SOFT then back to LOUD again at the same given volume level has dramatically improved/increased. The basic foundation of an Odyssey Stratos Amp is definitely underestimated by people today in the world unfortunately.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2015, 04:00 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2015, 04:02 pm »
The latest look

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2015, 04:19 pm »
Haha, dude that is amazing, and you are crazy!