Connecting Dual Binding Post Speakers to Single 2-Channel Stereo Amp

Samurai7595

What's the best way of connecting a pair of speakers configured with dual binding posts (2 sets per speaker) to a single 2-channel stereo power amp?

Option #1
- Single wire pair & keep existing binding post links

Option #2:
- Single wire pair and replace existing binding post links with better quality jumpers

Option #3:
- Bi-wire and keep existing binding post links

Option #4:
- Bi-wire and remove existing binding post links

Option #5:
- Bi-wire and replace existing binding post links with better quality jumpers

Option #6:
- Dual single wire pairs and keep existing binding post links

Option #7:
- Dual single wire pairs and remove existing binding post links

Option #8:
- Dual single wire pairs and replace existing binding post links with better quality jumpers

Option #9:
- Other (please explain) 

Samurai7595

OK, so 60 views (so far) and no one happens to own speakers with dual or even triple binding posts?   :(

So how are owners of the Bryston Model T and Middle T speakers connecting to a single 2-channel stereo power amp?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
OK, so 60 views (so far) and no one happens to own speakers with dual or even triple binding posts?   :(

So how are owners of the Bryston Model T and Middle T speakers connecting to a single 2-channel stereo power amp?

I use short speaker leads bi-wired - jumpers removed.

james

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Do NOT connect both sets of binding posts and leave the binding post link or jumper in place!!!

If you bi-wire, remove the link and do not use jumpers.

So There

• Brystonized
Halloo, Samurai:

The main reason I used biwiring was the length of the cable runs, to get as much copper as possible between the amps and speakers. My equipment cabinet placement and room layout required 30+ foot speaker runs (photos below), so I used Ultralink CL3 inwall cabling, 12 gauge for LF and 14 for mids & highs. I used Ultralink locking banana plugs and Ultralink Pro Spades, with both connected to the well-designed binding posts of our Bryston amps. I'm using two 4BSST(C) amps and one 6BSST(C) for our 7.2 system; equipment listed below. I removed the jumpers for each of our speakers.

The Ultralink is four-conductor cable, so there are four 12-gauge strands in each LF cable and four 14-gauge strands in each Mid/HF cable. I twisted two strands together for each connection to the bananas or spades, so each connector got a hefty double-dose of copper, which seemed apt for such long cable runs. The system sounds fantastic, so I've no complaints.

Hope this is helpful,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Do NOT connect both sets of binding posts and leave the binding post link or jumper in place!!!

If you bi-wire, remove the link and do not use jumpers.

If you bi-wire, you are connecting two speaker wires to the same amplifier post. Why would it make a difference if you don't remove the jumper? Bi-wiring is increasing the diameter of cabling to the speakers. Electrically, it is the same.

Is a jumper going to alter the signal going to either post if either connecting cabling is from the same source?

srb

If you bi-wire, you are connecting two speaker wires to the same amplifier post. Why would it make a difference if you don't remove the jumper? Bi-wiring is increasing the diameter of cabling to the speakers. Electrically, it is the same.

Is a jumper going to alter the signal going to either post if either connecting cabling is from the same source?

Some speaker manufacturers like B&W offer a small blurb about bi-wiring:

"Bi-wiring separates the signal paths to each section of the speaker and can improve both stereo imaging and detail resolution. It also enables the use of different types of cable for each frequency band"

While others like Vandersteen expound in elaborate detail (1000+ words) on the subject:
What is bi-wiring and what are the advantages?   (FAQ #18 ~ halfway down the page)
Quite controversial and debated.  I've tried single and bi-wiring on a number of speakers and never could tell any appreciable difference.

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 03:49 am by srb »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

Yes.

YMMV.

mix4fix

• Volunteer

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
How?

In my experience, bi-wire cables are of far better construction than brass-plated links. The brass plated links become, quite literally, the 'weak link'. Why would one want them in the path when bi-wiring?

The same goes for jumpers. If bi-wiring, why bother?  :scratch:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
In my experience, bi-wire cables are of far better construction than brass-plated links. The brass plated links become, quite literally, the 'weak link'. Why would one want them in the path when bi-wiring?

The same goes for jumpers. If bi-wiring, why bother?  :scratch:

If I was bi-wiring, I probably would remove the jumpers as well. But, since it is electrically connected at the amplifier's posts, the links shouldn't harm the signal should it?

RLL1

I Bi-Wire.

Rick

srb

If I was bi-wiring, I probably would remove the jumpers as well. But, since it is electrically connected at the amplifier's posts, the links shouldn't harm the signal should it?

Again, according to Richard Vandersteen, yes.  Read his explanation in the link I posted previously.
What is bi-wiring and what are the advantages?   (FAQ #18 ~ halfway down the page)

Steve

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Again, according to Richard Vandersteen, yes.  Read his explanation in the link I posted previously.

Steve

It doesn't say anything about the jumpers.

Vandersteen says use the same cables. B&W says you could use different cables. Who is correct?

And since when is using a 4 wire cable not bi-wiring? Isn't a 4 wire cable the same as two 2 wire ones?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 01:56 pm by mix4fix »