Wow truly (in)vulnerable is Apple?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Wow truly (in)vulnerable is Apple?
« on: 22 Jul 2013, 07:56 pm »
Most Mac users don't use any anti-virus programs, as those tend to negatively affect the efficiency of doing chores in the cyber space and all that jazz.

But with hackers more and more persevering each single day at accessing your online transactions, personal information, financial statements, ... to live in this world without some protective security is asking for eventual trouble.
...Because no one is totally invulnerable, even Macs (Apple).

Are you guys aware of the latest Apple's breach?  ...Apple's hacking.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Wow truly (in)vulnerable is Apple?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2013, 09:13 pm »
Link?

srb

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm »
Apple is so big today that some hackers firms hate her such that Microsoft.

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:42 pm »
I think hackers work for anti-virus software company.

nickd

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm »
I agree with Trung. +1

I have not spent $.01 at any anti virus scam of the month club since I bought a mac mini 5 years ago. :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm »
No $ anti-virus software on Windows and Mac here at home over 5 yrs.
Anti-virus software messing up your computer anyway.  :duh:

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2013, 02:57 am »
Antivirus is not designed to protect a website, defects within a website or even attacks to a website.      Antivirus only can protect you against known defects by scanning files, email, memory and network traffic.   But Apple's webservers run on Linux not Mac OS.

North Star

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:06 pm »
Antivirus is not designed to protect a website, defects within a website or even attacks to a website.      Antivirus only can protect you against known defects by scanning files, email, memory and network traffic.   But Apple's webservers run on Linux not Mac OS.

You're right, and with all the antivirus programs out there you're at the mercy of slower surfing and encountering issues.

* Apple's strong reputation regarding its immunity to the type of troubles that plagued Microsoft is coming to an end, I think.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:10 pm »
I think hackers work for anti-virus software company.
Right on. Also I would suspect many countries also had his hackers teams in military and civilians agencies.
It is a big money bussiness.

persisting1

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hacking of a website has to do with malware/viruses.

North Star, are you speaking of a specific virus or malware?

skunark

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2013, 11:22 pm »
You're right, and with all the antivirus programs out there you're at the mercy of slower surfing and encountering issues.

* Apple's strong reputation regarding its immunity to the type of troubles that plagued Microsoft is coming to an end, I think.

I still don't think you are grasping the difference here.   Website hacks have nothing to do with the OS or antivirus and all to do with the custom code behind the website.  Most of these hacks are through SQL injections that just hammer on a site until it finds a flaw.   This forum site as well is suspect to the same type of hacks.   (this forum software can run on windows, mac osx and Linux btw)

Apple's strong reputation is still untouched after this hack.   1) antivirus doesn't protect a website from this type of hack (at most they scan files you upload, but are almost never installed because it's pointless) 2) This wasn't even an attack on Mac OSX, but a Linux webserver.  3) the attack was on a very unique and custom web software that has no relationship to the OS and in fact it's very possible that multiple OSes were involved.  3) no one has ever said Mac OSX can't be hacked.

Apple's huge mistake here is that they didn't safeguard personal information and really puts them in the same shameful limelight as the Sony PlayStation hack a few years back. 

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2013, 01:02 am »
I still don't think you are grasping the difference here.   Website hacks have nothing to do with the OS or antivirus and all to do with the custom code behind the website.  Most of these hacks are through SQL injections that just hammer on a site until it finds a flaw.   This forum site as well is suspect to the same type of hacks.   (this forum software can run on windows, mac osx and Linux btw)

Apple's strong reputation is still untouched after this hack.   1) antivirus doesn't protect a website from this type of hack (at most they scan files you upload, but are almost never installed because it's pointless) 2) This wasn't even an attack on Mac OSX, but a Linux webserver.  3) the attack was on a very unique and custom web software that has no relationship to the OS and in fact it's very possible that multiple OSes were involved.  3) no one has ever said Mac OSX can't be hacked.

Apple's huge mistake here is that they didn't safeguard personal information and really puts them in the same shameful limelight as the Sony PlayStation hack a few years back.

I was at a loss as well and started a lengthy response, but gave up halfway.

Even if you have an antivirus, it will not remove human error. Be safe and be smart. That's better than any program you can run.

North Star

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:52 pm »
This is an open discussion. ...Steve provided two links, right after my first original post.

* The antivirus subject is a related (derivative) function, no more no less.
I simply used it as an introduction.

Best regards,
Bob