DAC is SUPER cheap-but is it cheerful?

dB Cooper

mcgsxr

Re: DAC is SUPER cheap-but is it cheerful?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 07:43 pm »
I have not heard it, but have heard FIIO products in the past.  Certainly sound good for the price, I use one in my headphone setup.

Now, I do see that someone has had problems with 24/192 with that device, so buyer beware if you are after high rez.

I wish it was also a USB-SPDIF converter, that is what I would add to a 2nd system if it did.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm »
There seems to be variations in the different revisions of the FiiO D3 DAC.  Supposedly the Revision 2 had the most problems, among them distorted bass & mids, severely rolled off highs and crackling noises.

The latest revision and the one listed on the FiiO website is the DO3K (Taishan).
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000027553125&MenuID=105026003

Here is the DO3K on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

There is a FiiO D3 topic on the Head-Fi forum that discusses the different revisions
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558794/fiio-d3

Steve

SamA

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2013, 07:51 pm »
i'm very pleased with the Fiio DO3K. It sounds super through a HiFi Man head amp using the coaxial digital out from the DVD/CD player and with Sony MDR-V6 cans. This could be my mew go-to listening position when speakers would intrude on others.

Wide sound stage, heart thumping bass.

Now to experiment with the optical line out on the DVD/CD player!

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2013, 08:30 pm »
It's hard to justify something like this DAC, even though its cheap when the ODAC and Schiit Modi are so cheap and work so well.   I just picked up an ODAC and it sounds very good (now that I've installed Jriver). 

Thanks to Jason for the recommendation.

SamA

Re: DAC is SUPER cheap. Is it cheerful? Answer: Yes
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm »
I love the Schiit Modi. It's the go-to gear on my office PC setup in the back bedroom.

It doesn't have coaxial digital or optical inputs, though.

That's why $24 and change for the Fiio D3 is a no brainer for the living room setup when I can't use speakers.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:17 pm »
It's hard to justify something like this DAC, even though its cheap when the ODAC and Schiit Modi are so cheap and work so well.   I just picked up an ODAC and it sounds very good (now that I've installed Jriver). 

Thanks to Jason for the recommendation.

I have heard the ODAC (the O2 I borrowed had it built in) and yes, it sounds very good.

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2013, 05:50 pm »
I have heard the ODAC (the O2 I borrowed had it built in) and yes, it sounds very good.

Thanks DB,
My experience with USB DAC's is very limited.  For the money, the ODAC is sounding good in my system, and I'm only using the stock cables and an old laptop that runs XP.  My CDP has a tube output and I think it gives a very "tuby" presentation which I like a lot.  Bass on the CDP is very powerful but I think it might not be as accurate as the computer based setup.  Also, the CDP is not nearly as quiet as the ODAC.  The ODAC is dead silent and has lots of detail, IMO, but the presentation is different than I'm used to.  Need to check out a few more USB DAC's, including the ones from Centrance, Micromega, Meridian and Schiit to see how the ODAC stacks up.  Will also be checking out the Teac DSD player one of these days.  For $150 the ODAC seems like a very good bargain.  Jason has more experience than I do and he likes it a lot.  He's owned some expensive DACs and I respect his opinion.

One thing is certain, JRiver is excellent!  I just started using it and I'm sold.  Easy ripping, easy functionality and the Jremote is great.  Computer audio is so convenient.  I love being able to access all of my CD's and using my phone as a remote.  It's hard to go back to loading individual CD's after being spoiled by instant access.  Also, the ODAC guys (at JPS Audio) are great at getting back to you and answering questions regarding their products.  I may get an 02 headphone amp one of these days. 

Cheers,

Jack

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2013, 05:12 pm »

Heard some comments the Odac sounds very similar to Schiit's Modi.

Anyone got to compare both?

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:09 am »
Perhaps ask in the ODAC thread?