Denon DNP-720AE

Chuckdog2005

Denon DNP-720AE
« on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:11 am »
Good day to all.

Let me preface my post with the facts. I'm a long time music lover, but I'm playing catch up with all the technology changes over the last 30 years or so.

I'm searching for a viable user friendly alternative to the SBT. I love the SBT and its easy to use interfaces. I was all set to buy a second one and, well you know the rest.

The Denon unit appears to be a simple unit with many similar features of the Touch. I also like the fact it features a conventional tuner. I see the price is lower now, seeing it in the $300.00 range. This puts it near the Touch in cost.

I'm well pleased with the Touch, so I'm not looking to replace it. This will likely be for a workshop or bedroom system.

Do any of you have first hand experience with the Denon?

Thanks in advance for any light shed, CD.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Denon DNP-720AE
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 10:52 am »
From what I've read the Denon DNP-F109 is supposed to be the more compact/expensive version of the DNP-720AE.

If happy with SB, why not buy another?

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:51 am »
Logitech dumped them. If located, a new one is fetching a ridiculous price.

I'm no collector, so paying extra for any modern discontinued item ain't something I'm interested in doing.

I pulled the trigger on a 720 Monday. It should be here in a few days.

While I don't mind spending money, (it's actually something I'm quite good at) I'm always looking for a "buy" on something.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the Denon.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:21 am »
I got the Denon all connected, and so far so good! The network setup prompts you step by step making it a snap, and it updated system software right out of the gate.

I haven't spent a great deal of time with it yet, so I'll withhold judgement.

First impressions are usually a good sign for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The interface/op panel is quite simple. While the remote can be a bit of a challenge for large fingers and older eyes it does a good job of navigating the many features found on this unit.

I got a nice surprise when it recognized and browsed the already installed Squeezebox server.

Flac files sound very nice using the units analog out, but my ears have grown to love the Dac*It's interpretation of them, so the digital outs are a plus.

I don't know that I'd feel the same about the unit at its former $499.00 price, but at $299.00 my impression of it ain't bad.

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2013, 10:44 am »
Keep us posted, please.

Is $299 the common street price?

Do you find the remote easy enough to live with (I don't own an iDevice  :oops:)?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2013, 03:14 pm »
The majority of sources still list it at $499, with some of them saying currently unavailable.

Outside of Accessories4Less selling a refurbished unit for $249, at least two vendors are selling it for $299, eBay seller Modia, and Crutchfield which lists it as a $200 off "special purchase".

Makes me think that a newer replacement model might be in the pipe?

Steve

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:23 am »
The majority of sources still list it at $499, with some of them saying currently unavailable.

Outside of Accessories4Less selling a refurbished unit for $249, at least two vendors are selling it for $299, eBay seller Modia, and Crutchfield which lists it as a $200 off "special purchase".

Makes me think that a newer replacement model might be in the pipe?

Steve

Yes, the Denon DNP-F109 (see my post above).

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm »
Keep us posted, please.

Is $299 the common street price?

Do you find the remote easy enough to live with (I don't own an iDevice  :oops:)?

The remote is easy enough. The unit's display is large enough to read from several feet.

Overall I believe it will make a fine unit for my application. They've been $299.00 at Crutchfield for a while now.

They're still current at the Denon website. Closeout or not, it seems a decent value @ $299.00.
I believe this unit was simply introduced into the market at a price beyond what it will support and Denon has had to reevaluate it's pricing for the 720.

Price does sell. That's why I have mine.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2013, 11:38 am »
UPDATE: Last night I tried the usb input of the 720. The source was a couple of high def recordings on a flash drive.  It reacted quickly, read the content and began playing without prompting.

The more I use it, the more it grows on me. Still, the units internal dac is to my ears its glaring shortcoming. "Glaring" would be a one word description for the sound.

For casual listening or Pandora it's ok, but most folks will likely want an external dac of their liking for any critical listening.

Features, construction, and the user friendly aspects are well worth the $299.00 price. A $500.00 unit, it ain't.