Felix filter for MC 240

James_h

Felix filter for MC 240
« on: 6 Jun 2013, 07:57 pm »
I am interested in building a Felix filter for my McIntosh MC 240.  My question is, which CMC to use?  P3717-A, or Q4007-A.  The MC 240 is fused at 3.2Amps.  Thanks. :D

Folsom

Re: Felix filter for MC 240
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2013, 01:51 am »
P3717-A is smaller than I'd recommend.

The 4007 and and 4018 both would work. At that size they are a gamble between which you'd prefer. The 4007 has more filtration.
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2013, 09:44 am by Destroyer of Smiles. »

James_h

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2013, 02:47 am »
Thanks,
I was leaning towards the 4007.  Since the MC 240 does not have an on/off switch, I started looking into a simple power conditioner for a dedicated power outlet.  The Felix seemed to be a good fit.  I will post photos of my build. :D

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2013, 07:54 pm »
James,

I assume you're planning on implementing the filter external to the MC240, as I certainly don't see any room inside my MC240 to fit even the smallest of Feli. If you're going to use a CMC rated for anything less than 15 amps, common sense, as well as standard practice mandates that the Felix be fused at the current rating of the CMC chosen.
As you mention the MC240 is unswitched, rather than a dedicated switched outlet, simply make the appropriate breaker have the appropriate switch function incorporated such as offerings from Carling or Potter & Brumfield -
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=ctbbb
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&N=4292876958+4291202409+1323043

If you prefer another method of switching the amp on/off to a combined switch/breaker, you could forego the breaker/fuse requirement by using a CMC rated for at least its circuit's capacity. The 15 amp rated CMCs from Coilcraft, CMT3-xx-15L & CMT4-xx-15L, will provide preferable objective characteristics in this application -
http://www.coilcraft.com/cmt.cfm#cmt-3

FWIW

James_h

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm »
My plan is to use a three position guitar amp switch, with an in line fuse.  It will be wired, off, on, or on with filter.  This may seem like over kill with the switching, but this is more of an experiment.  I want to keep the amp, unmolested.

James_h

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:38 am »
Well I finally have my component build complete and hope to find time to do the wiring this weekend.  After testing, I plan to give it a mirror finish with black sides to match the McIntosh amp. My friends think I should leave it as it is and use a Dymo tape marker for, on/off.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:50 pm »
Looks great. The aesthetic that makes it appear like it does more things is appealing to me. I suppose how much room you have defines that too.

James_h

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2013, 11:31 pm »
My wiring job is finished, and I have been running it for about two weeks.  Maybe 20 albums.  So far, I don't notice any change in sound quality of my system. I have just been running my power amp through the line conditioner.  Tonight I will try running my preamp through it too.  I suspect that the power coming into the house is pretty clean.  The run from the transformer to the house, is only about a 100 feet.  I have yet to try running the system with the hot tub, refrigerator, and washing running at the same time.

I want to thank everyone who commented on the project.  Considering this was a dinning room table project, I am happy with the outcome. Someday when I grow up, I will have a shop space to work in!