Ultrasonic record cleaners

mick wolfe

Ultrasonic record cleaners
« on: 23 Apr 2013, 04:09 pm »
Has anyone heard a "slam dunk" difference between in a record cleaned on a good vacuum based machine vs. one of the new ultrasonic cleaning machines?

vinyl_lady

Re: Ultrasonic record cleaners
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2013, 05:34 pm »
Ask Orthobiz or J-Pak

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:03 pm »
Yes, I have.  My friend got the Audio Desk last summer after using a VPI for years.  Records cleaned on the audio desk are consistently quieter and more open sounding.  The AD RCM doesn't fix groove damage but it certainly scrubs the grooves well.

That said, the difference is dependent on the condition of the record and the cleaning method used with a vacuum RCM.  A thorough scrub>vacuum>play>scrub>vacuum>play cleaning could get you close to the results of the AD RCM but it's a lot more work.

Russ

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2013, 03:11 am »
I am up to 178 records cleaned in the past 2 months on the Audio Desk. Quite frankly, I had so many new/used records that had not been cleaned before so I have not concentrated on re-cleaning previously cleaned records.

One thing is for certain: I am not going back! I did use the Loricraft to clean a horrible garage freebie this weekend because of the high grunge level. But everything else goes in the Audio Desk.

Like buying an iPad, it's hard to explain how much of a difference it might make until you get it and use it!

But getting back to your question, I have mentioned before that I saved an early Zappa LP that the Loricraft couldn't clean well enough. But I used Audio Intelligent fluid followed by RO water. And someone could say that I should have used the three step AI instead of the one step. But there again the AD wins out because you buy their fluid, put the record in, push the button, wait five minutes and your disk is cleaned.

Paul

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2013, 07:22 pm »
Mick,

See also this earlier thread... I'm interested in the AD, too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112281.msg1164819#msg1164819

regards,

Mark

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm »
Hey!

Yup, saw it at the show last year and this year... wish I can afford one. Oh! Well hand washing will do for now.  :roll:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2013, 11:39 pm »
Mick,

See also this earlier thread... I'm interested in the AD, too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112281.msg1164819#msg1164819

regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, that thread is loaded with info. The reason I inquired is that a friend of mine is about to build a DIY version of this type of cleaner. He's found a few very promising ( hopefully ? ) DIY designs online.  Of course the draw here is cost as these DIY designs, though requiring a bit of skill, come in below $700. He already has a very decent VPI vacuum machine to compare cleaning results. I  told him to start digging up his crappiest vinyl for the tuning/testing stage.

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:34 pm »
Cool.
I'm not really a DIYer so I don't look for plans online, etc, but please keep us informed. It would be great to know an ultrasonic cleaner could be had for more rational prices.

Thanks,

Mark

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2013, 07:05 pm »
Though the DIY version would eliminate much of the convenience that makes the AD fabulous in addition to its cleaning ability.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:24 pm »
I had two issues with the Audio Desk prepurchase.

1. Circulates the disk in a reusable water bath with a proprietary cleaning fluid. Even though it is filtered so no macro particles are floating round, it is somewhat counterintuitive that this would work. Plus, the fluid bath has no rinse cycle, so am I simply drying the fluid into the grooves?

I have no answer except that multiple reviewers have fallen in love with the job it does, and accept the concept "after the fact."

2. Why does it cost so much? This is asked by people who might spend 4000 on a pair of interconnects made of 99.999999 oxygen free unobtainium cured in an osmotic fog at 0.001 degree Kelvin.

I will say it is anything but a simple ultrasound bath. It has a motor to rotate the record. It spins records of varying thicknesses and at varying speeds. It raises the water at the beginning, constantly filters it during the cleaning and lowers the water into the bottom at the end. It runs the ultrasound while it spins. It squeegees the records. And it blow dries the records (almost always) perfectly dry. It senses when the water level is low. It also varies the cleaning cycle between 30 and 150 seconds. It is then ready for the TT or a sleeve. I never had a static problem with the Loricraft but others make note of the static free advantage.

And I will add that I cannot remember the last time I spent more time debating and contemplating and deliberating before a purchase. And many a diatribe of unhappiness roiled by the frequent breakdowns which may or may not be resolved. Mine is steady over 170 records cleaned.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:49 pm »
Very well described Paul. A very impressive machine indeed.

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:37 pm »
Hey, we could be in a mutual admiration society!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2013, 05:21 pm »
New review in TAS this month.
(He liked it)

I'm only up to 201 records cleaned (I've been cleaning my 914 Porsche in advance of the Concours at the Porsche Parade on June 24 in Traverse City)

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2013, 11:45 pm »
I received my Audio Desk Systeme vinyl cleaner this week and finally had a chance to take it out of the box, fill it with cleaning fluid mixed with deionized water and start cleaning records. I absolutely love it! After the first two or three records I actually wanted to clean more records. It is easy to use and I am very satisfied with the results so far. Place a record in the slot at the top, press  a button and that's it. In about 5-6 minutes it is done. Easy to extend the cleaning cycle if and when necessary. I put one in and sometimes don't walk by the cleaner until well after the cycle is complete. I take the clean record out, put it in a sleeve city sleeve and load another record, push the button and go back to whatever I was doing. The vinyl monster or "disease," take your pick, has me good. I am having fun cleaning records.  :o  Which means I'm finally listening to some of the records I bought last summer in L.A. :thumb:

I'm selling my VPI HW-17. Send me a PM if you're interested. I'm going to post it sometime later this week.

Laura
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm by vinyl_lady »

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2013, 02:08 am »
Cool!

If you come back to the machine too long after the record's clean you can sometimes get condensation on it.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:28 pm »
Cool!

If you come back to the machine too long after the record's clean you can sometimes get condensation on it.

Paul

Thanks! That explains why there was a little condensation on a couple of records that I let sit for quite a while after cleaning.

Laura

WireNut

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2013, 05:31 pm »
I take the clean record out, put it in a sleeve city sleeve and load another record, push the button and go back to whatever I was doing.
Laura

Hi vinyl_lady

That is an awesome machine.
I took a look at the sleeve city site and I'm wondering what 12" inner sleeves you prefer as they offer several. I've been considering the Blake Sleeves from Clearbags which are all poly but I'm wondering if I should purchase something like the Audiophile Inner Sleeves from sleeve city which are rice paper inside/poly outside. I'm thinking the rice paper inside may have better anti-static properties but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
WN

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2013, 07:01 pm »
Hi vinyl_lady

That is an awesome machine.
I took a look at the sleeve city site and I'm wondering what 12" inner sleeves you prefer as they offer several. I've been considering the Blake Sleeves from Clearbags which are all poly but I'm wondering if I should purchase something like the Audiophile Inner Sleeves from sleeve city which are rice paper inside/poly outside. I'm thinking the rice paper inside may have better anti-static properties but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
WN

WireNut,

I use the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves. They are a little thicker for more protection and I think they are worth the extra cost.

Laura

WireNut

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2013, 08:12 pm »
WireNut,

I use the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves. They are a little thicker for more protection and I think they are worth the extra cost.

Laura

Thank You.

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:17 pm »
WireNut,

Laura

+1. They also have some great audiophile grade sleeves that hold 2 LPs. And their thick outer sleeves are pretty luxurious too.