LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

Big Red Machine

Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #180 on: 1 Oct 2013, 04:21 pm »
Jason, thanks!  Pete, have you also tried no upsampling?

Yes and no go.

From the friendly posters over on the JRiver forum (after I fixed the problem with Trung's help):

"This is because the default audio device uses DirectSound and resamples all audio. It also proves that your DAC doesn't have a mute circuit when it changes sample rates. Many pro DACs don't have a mute circuit and some consumer DAC's don't either. The reason is does it on stop and starts is that the DAC will  reset itself to its default sample rate when nothing is playing. Then when the resampled music starts playing again the DAC has to switch sample rates and will pop."

So I set everything to 192 and now the dac does not see a change from 44.1 CD rips to 96/24 downloads.  It works!

Downloaded JRemote to the iPad and whalla, it works great.  Now to build up some playlists.

Anyone know how to take.m3u Squeezebox format playlists and convert them to work with JRiver?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #181 on: 1 Oct 2013, 04:30 pm »
Just go to file types in jriver options menu and allow m3u (under playlists, after audio and images, etc)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #182 on: 1 Oct 2013, 04:37 pm »
Just go to file types in jriver options menu and allow m3u (under playlists, after audio and images, etc)

But they come in empty.

Would the format I see in Notepad be the same for JRiver?  Would all I need to do is change the drive letter and JRiver is smart enough to find the tracks?  Have any of you actually done this?

*Scotty*

« Reply #183 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:33 pm »
BRM, go to Tools,Options,File Types. Scroll down to Playlists,click on Audio Playlists,see (m3u,m3u8,pls,xpl,xspf). Under, Settings For File Types Selected Above , File Types: (m3u,m3u8,pls,xpl,xspf) check the box next to File Association:
It should see your Squeezebox playlists and play them. In theory.
Scotty

findog3103

« Reply #184 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:10 am »
My Lampi G4/L4 sounds incredible with iTunes, decibel, audirvana. Very happy. However, when I use audirvana and try to convert dsd to PCM the tracks load but when they play there is much static in the background. There is no static any other time. I don't upsample. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Berto

« Reply #185 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:45 am »
My Lampi G4/L4 sounds incredible with iTunes, decibel, audirvana. Very happy. However, when I use audirvana and try to convert dsd to PCM the tracks load but when they play there is much static in the background. There is no static any other time. I don't upsample. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi Jason, Nice meeting you at Deepaks. Lukasz specifically asked me if you were happy, so glad to see the confirmation :thumb:. As far as the static, I just copied and pasted him on this bc I'm curious myself.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #186 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:47 am »
BRM, go to Tools,Options,File Types. Scroll down to Playlists,click on Audio Playlists,see (m3u,m3u8,pls,xpl,xspf). Under, Settings For File Types Selected Above , File Types: (m3u,m3u8,pls,xpl,xspf) check the box next to File Association:
It should see your Squeezebox playlists and play them. In theory.
Scotty

I ended up editing every playlist manually because the format that EAC created way back when was confusing the JRiver.  And if course I updated the drive letter.  So for the labor it was worth it. 

findog3103

« Reply #187 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:52 am »
Hi Jason, Nice meeting you at Deepaks. Lukasz specifically asked me if you were happy, so glad to see the confirmation :thumb:. As far as the static, I just copied and pasted him on this bc I'm curious myself.

Yeah, the dac is truly incredible and the work Taras did on my amp knocks me out. Also, nice meeting you and all the other Lampi dudes. It was my first and hopefully not my last rave. Thanks for sending it to Lukasz. I got to chat with him and his love of Zappa for a little bit.

wisnon

« Reply #188 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm »
J,

In general, what kind of mods did Taras do to the amp?

Sounds very interesting.

findog3103

« Reply #189 on: 26 Oct 2013, 01:40 pm »
According to Taras:

1. Reroute of ground wires (hum)
2. Addition of chassis ground leak capacitors on input RCA connectors (hum and hiss)
3. New phase inverter circuit (12AX7)
4. Adjustments to input stage for work with new phase inverter (12AX7)
5. Input circuitry adjustments to remove hum.

Parts:
1. Resistors - 100k, 560k, 360k, 2.2k for new tube input stage and phase inverter. 14 pcs.
2. New PIO signal capacitors Russian Military 0.22uFx250V (from phase inverter to drivers) - 4 pcs.
3. Wima 0.01X350V leak capacitors 2 pcs.
4. Nichicon 47uFx450V power filter capactors - 4 pcs.
5. Panasonic bypass foil capacitors 4.7uFx450V 8 pcs.

According to me: sounds deeper and the clarity of instrumentation is wonderful.

wisnon

« Reply #190 on: 27 Oct 2013, 10:12 am »
Nice!

Was it a SS amp that was converted to tube/SS hybrid?

findog3103

« Reply #191 on: 27 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm »
No, purely push/pull tube amp. Rogue audio titan atlas magnum.

wisnon

« Reply #192 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:03 am »
No, purely push/pull tube amp. Rogue audio titan atlas magnum.

Wow, it sounds like this mod doubled the value of the amp.
It must sound divine. Perhaps and I can get to listen to it over the Xmas holidays as I expect to roll into town for 2 weeks or so.

findog3103

« Reply #193 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm »
Sure. Give me a call when you're in town.

wisnon

« Reply #194 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm »
Will do.

Gopher

« Reply #195 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:47 pm »
The bulk of my experience thus far has been with the 6X5 recti.  For the guys with DACs that use the 5Y3 tube, what is preferred?

I need some nice tubes for a Level 4.5 and I was curious about other offerings as well.  I recall hearing good things about a NOS JAN tube, but don't recall which.

dminches

« Reply #196 on: 13 Nov 2013, 07:54 pm »
You should check out the Sylvania or Raytheon 5Y3G.

wisnon

« Reply #197 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:50 am »
The bulk of my experience thus far has been with the 6X5 recti.  For the guys with DACs that use the 5Y3 tube, what is preferred?

I need some nice tubes for a Level 4.5 and I was curious about other offerings as well.  I recall hearing good things about a NOS JAN tube, but don't recall which.

Some talk here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120575.0

More at the Audiogon mega-thread.

Eg, Bendix 6106: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Bendix-6106-Super-5Y3GT-/161112854275?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2583130f03

09-04-13: JimY
I received the Bendix tube last Friday. It immediately improved the sound of the system similarly to the comments above. As it has settled in, I noted improvements to the soundstage - more depth and wider. I paid $25 for the Bendix - an amazing improvement for the money.

setamp

« Reply #198 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:14 pm »
Also try a Mullard or Valvo GZ34.  Extremely clear.

wisnon

« Reply #199 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:24 pm »

Thanks.
What are your settings in A+? I assume you use the latest version 1.5.10, right?