Soundscape 8's in a small room?

guitardave

Soundscape 8's in a small room?
« on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:13 am »
Greetings Folks.  I found myself in Pontiac last week and took the opportunity to check out the Salk speakers.  I made the mistake of listening to the Soundscape 8's.  Of course, now I feel I must get a pair!   My listening room is only 11 x 14.  I have Devore speakers along the 11ft wall.  Anyone using Soundscape 8's in a small room?

dB Cooper

Re: Soundscape 8's in a small room?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:21 am »
Songtowers may be a better choice in that size room. Just a thought.

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:16 am »
One thing I know for sure is they need room behind to breath. So be sure you have at least of 2' or more to sound best. The plus side is due to dual side firing radiators, the SS8s can be place closer to side wall.

So the speaker width is 12" if you put them 7' apart from the inner to inner of the speaker cabinet side, that will left you 1' from side wall to the outer side of the speaker. Speaker depth is 1.5' so if you put your speaker 2'-3' away from front wall that is total 3.5'-4.5' counting from face of speaker. So let say your LP is 7' away from the face of the speaker that will left you some room on the back. I think the SS8s  may doing fine in your room with first reflection treatment consideration. ( your room is a normal 4 walls room?????)

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:39 am »
jonpol has more or less the same size room. Perhaps you can ask him.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112521.20

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:13 pm »
I think Big Red had a similar sized room.  He did have a lot of room treatments though. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92931.msg1074395#msg1074395

Bob

EDIT: You can roll up the web page to see Big Red's room.

jonpol

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm »
jonpol has more or less the same size room. Perhaps you can ask him.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112521.20

As charmerci says, it sounds like my room is about the same size as yours (perhaps a bit smaller even). Let me start by copying/pasting Jim's answer to me when I asked him whether he thought that my room was too small for the SS8s:

The biggest problem with any speaker in a small room is bass.  With a rear ported speaker like our HT3's, this can be a real issue.  But the SoundScape 8's do not have ports.  They use a pair of passive radiators on each side of the cabinet.  So you have a total of four passive radiators across the front of the room.  This evenly loads the room with bass.

Last year I sent a pair of SoundScape 10's (same passive system) to California for an audio show.  When I arrived, I found that our room was smaller than any room we had ever been in.  Since we had trouble playing the HT3's in a larger room at Rocky Mountain Audiofest and needed room treatments, I was worried.  But I plugged them in and they were perfect right from the start.  The passive radiator system really works well in small rooms.

My personal feeling is that you will be fine. I am probably not getting the maximum potential out of my speakers because of the room they're in, but that being said I think they sound great and have never regretted getting them. The biggest thing that I imagine I am missing is the wide sound stage that many people comment on; I don't know if any other speaker would do better in my room, though, and I certainly don't consider this a reason not to get them. I would recommend using room treatments, as they have made a substantial and noticeable improvement for me, but otherwise if you listened to them and liked them I would say go for it!  8)

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2013, 01:08 pm »
In a narrow/small room I would seriously think about having Jim make the woofers active so you can apply PEQ below the Schroeder Frequency (200-300Hz). 

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:37 pm »
Why would they need to be active?  The woofer section has its own input via separate binding posts...couldn't you EQ the bass section independent of the mid/tweeter section if you wanted?  just wondering.  I've never gone to that much trouble before.

(W)KRP

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:39 am »
I have a 12x15 room and the front speakers are going against the 12' wall. I was hoping the side radiators meant they could be close to the front wall -- I'm hoping 6" close. I'm only going to sit about 7' from the front wall.

fsimms

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:43 am »
Edit: Post moved to Listening impressions.

Bob

greenhouseman

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:17 pm »
I think that this room size is the perfect size for the new Silk model. Add a Rythmic 12" sub and you will not hunger for more, but will save significant $.  I have heard both models and you really need to speak to Jim and get his take on this comparison. I have a similar sized room and as my earlier post stats, blown away. Do yourself a favor and at least inquire, I think you might be surprised.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:22 pm »
I think that this room size is the perfect size for the new Silk model. Add a Rythmic 12" sub and you will not hunger for more, but will save significant $.  I have heard both models and you really need to speak to Jim and get his take on this comparison. I have a similar sized room and as my earlier post stats, blown away. Do yourself a favor and at least inquire, I think you might be surprised.

I like this idea as well for a small room. I heard the Silks and they sounded awesome. The bass was amazing for such a small speaker. If you add a sub, that would add the benefit of being moved to a better location for optimal bass response for your small room. Add some acoustic treatments with your savings and you are set.