Mytek Stereo192 DSD Dac Measurements (large image warning)

mgalusha

Recently I won a Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC from Positive Feedback Online & Mytek, which is way cool, big props to Mytek for giving away a killer DAC.  :thumb: It arrived this week and given my proclivity for poking at things, I put it on the test bench last night just to have a quick look. I was interested in the output level, which seemed very high and from what I read in the Mytek design philosophy I didn't seem to be imagining this but their write up was slightly unclear, so measurement was in order.

I fed it via S/PDIF from the Prism dScope III's digital outputs and of course measured the analog output into the dScope using a balanced connection. The dScope does have a current calibration.

With the output level jumpers in the factory position I recorded the following: (H2, H3 and H4 refer to 2nd, 3rd and 4th order harmonic distortion).

0dBFS = 10.33v RMS on balanced outputs, .00102% THD+N, H2 = .00036%, H3 = .00082%, H4 = .00004%

-18dBFS = 1.3009V RMS balanced, .00295% THD+N, H2 = .0001%, H3 = .00036%, H4 = .00005%

Note the design doc shows 9.79VRMS as maximum output, mine is a little hotter (.46dB).

With the jumpers engaged the output is 6dB lower as it should be. The levels were:

0dBFS = 5.1568v RMS on balanced outputs, .00105% THD+N, H2 = .00021%, H3 = .00032%, H4 = .000006%

-18dBFS = 649.25mV RMS balanced, .0065% THD+N, H2 = .0006%, H3 = .0004%, H4 = .000015%

With the lower level, the THD+N is a little higher, since noise is part of the measurement. The dScope has the ability to make THD measurements without noise, so the H2,3 and 4 are more indicative of the actual harmonic distortion, not that any of them are very high and lower order HD isn't offensive anyway. I found I preferred the sound with the jumpers on and the level lower, it appears the jumpers control the I/V portion of the circuit, they are certainly before the bypass relay and the output stage, so the Zout should not change but I didn't measure it. Looking at the board there are only resistors between the jacks and the output op amp, so the Zout can't change, a good thing IMO, I much prefer that to adding some type of attenuation network after the output.

The RCA jacks would be exactly half those levels as it does have a fully differential output, I connected two channels of the scope and the balanced outputs are differential.  :thumb:

The graphs that follow are mostly FFT shots that show the distribution of the harmonics. Interestingly there are some spikes that appear at about 12,24 and 36kHz, regardless of whether there is any input or not, something is making some low level noise. The highest of these is at about -92dB, so I suspect inaudible. The stray noise was not changed when moving the jumpers. Each graph has a caption at the bottom saying what it is.

There are also two shots showing the squarewave response with the default "slow" and optional "sharp" filters. The slow version exhibits less pre-ringing, a good thing based on other DAC's I've heard with this type of filter.

Before anyone asks, I don't have any way to generate a DSD signal, the dScope only operates in PCM.

Hope someone besides me finds these interesting. This is by no means a comprehensive set of measurements, just what I had time for last night and enough to satisfy my curiosity about the output levels. If anyone wishes to reuse the images, that is OK but please say where you got them.

Mike

firedog

Re: Mytek Stereo192 DSD Dac Measurements (large image warning)
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2013, 06:12 am »
Mike-

Thanks, that was really interesting. I've got a Mytek, too. IME, it only sounds its best after several hundred hours (3-500) of burn in.

Question about your results:

With the jumpers engaged the output is 6dB lower as it should be. The levels were:

0dBFS = 5.1568v RMS on balanced outputs, .00105% THD+N, H2 = .00021%, H3 = .00032%, H4 = .000006%

So this means that with the jumpers engaged and over RCA the levels should be pretty close to industry standard, no?

Do you still have the NCore amps?

I'd be interested in how you think the Mytek matches up with the NCores, and if it has a good enough preamp section to let the NCores shine if used as a preamp.

I have found the Mytek sounds a bit better in preamp bypass mode, though.

BTW, if you can get some good DSD material, do so. It sounds amazing with the Mytek.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2013, 01:39 pm »
Firedog, I'm glad you found it useful. I measure for my own curiosity but am happy to share.

Yes, with the jumpers in place the RCA output would be just over 2.5V and most consumer CD players/DACs are specified at 2V, this is 2dB higher.

I am still using NCore based amps but I was fortunate enough to participate in a beta program for Acoustic Imagery and have a pair of their ATASH NC, which are built around the NC1200 amps.

I am running the Mytek in bypass mode and using a Bent Audio TAP-X as the level control.

Anticipating the DSD DAC, I had gave Tyson all my SACD's and had him extract them, so I have ~60 DSD albums plus a few I've bought from Blue Coast.

I've read the innumerable posts about how long it takes to break in, so it's happily playing 24/7 on repeat at the moment. :)

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2013, 03:35 pm »
When I had Ted's Mytek running with my NCores, I ran it as a stand alone Preamp and also balanced through Ted's Bent TAP.   IMO, the Mytek combined with my NCores absolutely shined with the passive TAP in the chain. 

I currently own an Exasound E20 and am using the VC of the E20 directly into the NCores with very good results.  However, I really miss Ted's TAP in regards to the functionality of the VC!!  The TAP(X) is one of the best I've come across.  ESPECIALLY with the NCores.

Regards

Randy

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2013, 03:58 pm »
I noticed the TAP is an AVC and it has a maximum input of >10V. That's quite a bit better than most TVCs which start to saturate around 7V I think. It's possible that you prefer the sound of the DAC with the jumpers in place because you are too close to the AVC saturation point at 9.7V out. Just something to consider if you are a TVC/AVC user.

That TAP looks cool. I want to hear an autoformer some day.  :)

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:32 am »
Dave Slagle rates the autoformers for 8V @ 20Hz and even at 10V RMS, that is only 5V per autoformer since that is the balanced voltage total, so well under the maximum and should not cause saturation. I thought the same thing for a minute until I considered that it's 10V balanced and 5V per AVC.

GBB

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:04 am »
I've read the innumerable posts about how long it takes to break in, so it's happily playing 24/7 on repeat at the moment. :)

Mike,
I'll be curious to hear your impressions once the Mytek settles down.  I had one for a while but never could get it to sound as good as I thought it should.  Since most of my digital is redbook pcm, the quality of that has to be great for me to keep a DAC.  And the Mytek wasn't quite up the standards of my homebrew Buffalo ESS9018, so I eventually sold it.

===Gary