GT AUDIO WORKS GTA 2 SPEAKERS

Emil

Re: GT AUDIO WORKS GTA 2 SPEAKERS
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2013, 02:25 pm »
Price on the GTA1?

MaxCast

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jul 2013, 10:43 am »
Replacing to enclosures for Facilitator editing...

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2013, 11:46 am »
How do these compare to maggies?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jul 2013, 04:02 pm »
Please follow link to the commercial zone to discuss my speakers....http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116250.msg1238906#msg1238906   Greg

Thanks Greg, as you've obviously discovered you are allowed to answer any questions about your speakers that are asked here in the community circles, except that one about price, which is considered promotional.  All the other answers you posted here were informative and within the site guidelines.  But you can talk about your products more freely in the commercial zone.

On a personal note, I'm really looking forward to hearing them at Cap Fest this year.  I'll admit to not having given them a fair listen last year, there's only so much time and I walked in and thought, nice speakers, nothing special, and left.  I think I may have short changed myself and I'm looking forward to part deux.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jul 2013, 04:42 pm »
I'm looking forward to hear them as the 1s was really nice the prior year

007KLH

« Reply #25 on: 31 Aug 2013, 10:28 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the folks from AC in person. With help from Rollo Audio And Triode Pete, I can say the setup this year will be a lot better than what I had last year.  Greg

Greg, I think your setup was a huge improvement from 2012, a real nice synergy with the Arion amps, Dodd preamp, and Pete's new speaker cables and AC cords. I understand you are including Triode Wire Labs AC cords standard for the powered subs in your GTA 2s, they must have really impressed you. The new cosmetics on the GTA 2s, solid mahogany and the single grille give it a more finished presentation compared to the 2012's veneer and split grille look. Both rooms you shared with Rollo Audio and Triode Pete were always packed with people, and the hallway buzz was all about those planars at the end of the corridor. I absolutely loved listening to music in your rooms, and I spent more time in them than any other at the show. The new GTA 1s are a flat out bargain for $ 2700/pr, and the big GTA 2s compete with speakers twice their cost, all while being an easy load to drive. I listened to my show music, about 6 selections, in 30 different systems over the 3 days, and your systems  most interestingly easily revealed a lot more detail and information, had focused vocals the correct size, had a wide sweet spot, were explosively exciting, and just drew me into the music, not only mine but other's selections as well. The songs  I played all show long were just more "you are there" in your 2 rooms. For example, on Cat Steven's Where Do The Children Play, the guitar strings being strummed were so much more evident and not buried in the mix. I found myself smiling and bopping my head to the music, what more can you ask?

Scotlynn

« Reply #26 on: 9 Feb 2014, 12:59 am »
I've promised some folks that I would post a short update of my review of Greg's speakers after getting the upgraded drivers and spending some time with them. I've had the new models for a couple of months now and have done a lot of listening - meant to post this a few weeks ago, but non-music life has been seriously interfering lately!!! Anyways....

I'll leave it to Greg to weigh in on any technical aspects of the upgrades except to say that there are a whole new set of drivers, including a new copper foil midrange planar. All drivers were installed in the existing cabinets.

My system remains pretty much the same as my original review. For some reason, the Psvane KT88's I ordered for the Carver Cherry 180's did not work out - they constantly caused fuses to blow on the amps and I was sadly forced to return them. So the Carvers are running the original Silver Eagles. My analogue front end is now a VPI Classic I with a Soundsmith Zephyr MI cartridge. I also switched in a pair of Sophia 6SN7's up top on my Modwright Sony XA540ES. Finally, I settled on a pair of Acoustic Zen Hologram II's for my speaker cables. All of these changes predated the upgrade of the GTA 2s by many months, so I can firmly discount these tweaks as the basis for my views on Greg's new iteration of the GTA 2s..

In a nutshell, Greg's speaker just got a bit better. I was already very happy with the prior model as my original review stated. I found the GTA's to be the most versatile speaker I've ever owned and they really have driven me to listen to, and enjoy, even more of my music collection than I did before. But Greg is not the type of guy to rest on his laurels and he has managed to squeeze out a little more performance without having to demand an appreciable increase in final cost.

Where are the differences? I've run through many of the same tracks I used in my original review and also added a bunch of music to my critical listening sessions - from some long stints with Lizz Wright, to a bunch of British classical (RVW, Holst, Delius) and some Andy McKee Acoustic guitar work. I am finding there to be a slightly cleaner and tighter presentation across all ranges, but most pronounced in the lower mids through upper bass. There's slightly better fluidity and definition through this part of the sound spectrum then there was before, perhaps resulting from improved integration between these new bass drivers. I am also getting a touch warmer sound on the upper mids, which, as I stated previously, was the only thing I missed from my prior cone-based speakers. The rest of my views above regarding quickness, detail, etc. remains largely unchanged.

I'm not going to say the differences in the new speakers are earth shattering. Greg already had a great speaker and for me the differences in the new version are subtle, but definite.The nice thing is that all of us audio nuts often spend a lot of money for incremental upgrades or the latest tweaks, but with Greg's upgraded GTA 2 model there's not a lot more to spend for a measurably better product.

Greg has done it again with his new version of the GTA 2 - he's produced a great, affordable and, most importantly (to me) musical speaker. If you're looking to spend many 10's of thousands of dollars (or more) with speaker manufacturers who think listening to tunes should be a clinical exercise, then there are lots of companies out there willing to sell you a product. But if you just want to sit down, tap your feet, nod your head and simply enjoy the music (and use all that leftover cash to add to what I consider the most important part of any sound system - your music collection) you can't go wrong with Greg's wonderful speaker system.

007KLH

« Reply #27 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:30 pm »
Scott, Thanks for the update on your GTA 2s. Greg is really driven to make the very best speaker possible, and with the upgrades to the sub driver, both mid-bass drivers, and the copper foil planar, he may rest on his laurels? LOL  After listening to 3.7s with the best gear, even the previous version of the GTA 2s were more compelling, musical, dynamic, involving, and fun! I still can't imagine why their isn't a backlog of orders for Greg's speakers? In this climate of sky high prices, the GTA 2s are a relative bargain, and to me represent the point where diminishing returns kick in big time. I should get my pair next Saturday, can' wait. I think your last paragraph sums them up perfectly:

"Greg has done it again with his new version of the GTA 2 - he's produced a great, affordable and, most importantly (to me) musical speaker. If you're looking to spend many 10's of thousands of dollars (or more) with speaker manufacturers who think listening to tunes should be a clinical exercise, then there are lots of companies out there willing to sell you a product. But if you just want to sit down, tap your feet, nod your head and simply enjoy the music (and use all that leftover cash to add to what I consider the most important part of any sound system - your music collection) you can't go wrong with Greg's wonderful speaker system".

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:50 pm »
How does the width of the soundstage compare to the 3.7s?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: 9 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm »
How does the width of the soundstage compare to the 3.7s?

As always, it's room and electronics dependent.  I auditioned them at Greg's house, and as we made improvements in the audio chain, and slight changes to the room treatments, we gained HUGE improvement to the sound stage. Depth and width beyond the room boundaries. It was my only concern after my first audition of the speakers using Greg's equipment (sorry Greg), also at his house.  Tonality, speed, dynamics were all exceptional, but the sound stage was lacking. On my second visit a few weeks later, the changes (mostly in the audio chain) made me a believer. I'm hoping to purchase a pair later this year.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm »
I guess I didn't ask the question properly.
How does the sweet spot compare to the 3.7s? 
Is this more of a directional speaker compared to the Magnepan?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm »

Steve,

Again, I would ad the caveat of room and equipment.

My first audition of the 3.7s, at an authorized dealer in Baltimore was so disappointing, I had no idea what the fuss was about.  I've since heard better set ups with the 3.7s, but unless we installed a pair at Greg's house, using the same electronics, there is no way to fairly compare the imaging and sound stage of 2 different brands of loudspeakers. Too subjective.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Midrange and high frequencies are planer/ribbon dipole, like the Maggies, and low, sub frequencies are cone drivers that integrate beautifully with the panels.

Hope that helps. They are quite remarkable.

007KLH

« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:32 am »

Steve, As Rusty stated, room & gear dependent. In my opinion the sweet spot for both speakers is similar, both sound their best dead center but the GTA 2s have a bigger/wider sweet area. It was the lack of dynamic aliveness, ability to pressurize the room in the mid/low bass, and bass extension deficiencies of the 3.7 that left me flat, female vocals were superb however. The GTA 2s are one of the best sounding speakers that almost nobody has heard!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:33 am »
It looks like a trip to New Joisey is in order.

007KLH

« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:36 am »

Steve, You will not be disappointed. Bring all the music you want and prepare to tap your foot, bob your head, hear new details revealed, and have fun!

PMAT

« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2014, 04:51 am »
Looking again at the 1st post pics. Very pretty frame. Is that elm?

PMAT

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:51 pm »
Thanks, it looked like walnut color but the grain reminded me of elm. The pin knots are great. I would love to hear your speakers. My current bliss is coming from a pair of Carver AL III's. They are incredible.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2014, 05:49 pm »

Could not agree more. Bring your Amps and wallet.  :lol:

charles

bonzo75

« Reply #38 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:50 am »
I recently traveled from London to New York to listen to these. I have owned Martin Logan summits, and have heard Apogees, Quads, Soundlab Ultimates, Analysis Audio, and Maggies (not 20.7).

I found these to be a close second to the Analysis. The Analysis Omega and Amphitryon with their updated Duelund crossovers retail around 30k, this around 6k. It is a hybrid like Logans, but it's ribbon is beautiful and the speaker is extremely dynamic. A Stat can't get to such dynamism, nor can a Maggie. It is also lively and involving, and I played everything from Led Zep to opera, to Mussorksky's pictures at an exhibition, Bach cantata chorals, Bach violin concertos, and Piano. I heard these set up with Triode Wire Labs, Arion Amps, and in Rollo's basement room.

Also, to be fair, I preferred the Analysis when set up with the top of the line Lamm preamp and the Lamm 27k hybrid M2.1 monos, while this was set up with a 7k hybrid digital Arion. And the Analysis was very well set up, in the same room for days, while Greg's speaker was a working prototype that he had just brought over and plopped into Rollo's room, and it was without spikes, so it can only improve. On my very likely to buy category

Thanks very much to Greg and Rollo for hosting.

xsb7244

« Reply #39 on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:24 pm »
Is there a review of the new GTA 2.5?  Anybody bought the 2.5?