GT AUDIO WORKS GTA 2 SPEAKERS

jhm731

Re: GT AUDIO WORKS GTA 2 SPEAKERS
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:42 am »
The Wall of CD's is incredible. Call me crazy but the first thing I would do in your room is make space absorption areas in your CD collection in random order. Removing blocks of 4 or 5 cd's here and there all over to replicate a honeycomb type of deal. A variant of the Bryston sound room.

Just a thought...............perhaps a bad one :dunno:

What a waste. Why spend all that money on diffusers and stick that big reflective TV in there?
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm by jhm731 »

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
  • Extraordinary performance.. reasonable price
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:58 am »
What a waste. Why spend all that money on diffusers and stick that big reflect TV in there?
your right..why did I not notice that ??

lonewolfny42

« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2013, 08:52 am »
Nice review....and a fine selection of music....enjoy !  :beer:

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2013, 05:15 pm »
Update.. Went to Scott's house yesterday to hear the improvements he has made to his listening room and system.
And to let him hear the latest version of the GTA2.
Wow ... quite a step up in performance since I last heard.
The DIY room treatments make the room come alive !
The Carver Cherry 180 mono's and Mystere pre amp are a great match.
We ran the gamut of music from Classical to African guitarists to beautiful vocalists to Hendrix,
Your system is at home with whatever you throw at it.
                                                                                    Greg

Scotlynn

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2013, 10:26 pm »
Thanks for the visit yesterday, Greg, and for bringing your new speakers over. As good as mine were sounding, I think your new model has added to the speakers' performance, making an already great speaker a bit better. I founded it to be a bit tighter presentation, with a little more coherence. I'll be looking for you to make the upgrades when you get the chance!

Thanks again - I know if can't be fun dragging 6 foot speakers around, but it was a great listening session.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2013, 12:34 am »
Nice review.
Welcome to the world of planars!

/mp

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2013, 03:54 am »
Did you do the hanging blanket over the CD case test? What were the results? Just a though: if the results were positive, a more polished yet still inexpensive solution is install "sliding glass doors" in front of the CDs. Fill the door frames with cloth instead of glass. If the cloth is gauze, you've made a scrim. Put small LED lights between the shelf and the cloth. When the lights are off the scrim is opaque. Turn the lights on and the scrim become transparent. LED stay cool so the cloth doesn't get hot. Fire hazards are bad, very bad.

happy listening,

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:04 pm »
  Yup that TV has got to go. I use the same diffusers. They need breathing room to get the best affect. Greg how you got a better cohesiveness is a true accomplishment. When heard the first time [ GTA1] we thought that was its biggest attribute. Getting the bass to intergrate with the panels is SOOOO hard to do. Many have tried and failed. If you got them more linear oh my !
   Were gonna have a great showing at Capitol Audiofest.

charles

capwkidd

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2013, 04:49 am »
I am wondering what the panels are made of? Electrostatic? Ribbon? Something else? What is the cross over frequency? So, it's a panel, and an 8" or 10" bass driver? The GTA1's will have 2 planar drivers instead of 1 on the GTA2?

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #29 on: 2 Jul 2013, 05:16 am »
I am wondering what the panels are made of? Electrostatic? Ribbon? Something else? What is the cross over frequency? So, it's a panel, and an 8" or 10" bass driver? The GTA1's will have 2 planar drivers instead of 1 on the GTA2?
The panels are planar magnetic like magnepan ,but I use high energy neodymium magnets for better efficiency and dynamics.
The panels have no cross over, they run full range. Below the panel are two 8" bass drivers with a powered 8" sub on the side.
The GTA 1's which will debut at Capital Audiofest later this month use a smaller version of the GTA 2 panel and ribbon tweeter with two 8" bass drivers but without the built in powered sub.

Emil

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jul 2013, 02:25 pm »
Price on the GTA1?

MaxCast

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jul 2013, 10:43 am »
Replacing to enclosures for Facilitator editing...

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2013, 11:46 am »
How do these compare to maggies?

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #33 on: 3 Jul 2013, 01:51 pm »
How do these compare to maggies?
Please follow link to the commercial zone to discuss my speakers....http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116250.msg1238906#msg1238906   Greg

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jul 2013, 04:02 pm »
Please follow link to the commercial zone to discuss my speakers....http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116250.msg1238906#msg1238906   Greg

Thanks Greg, as you've obviously discovered you are allowed to answer any questions about your speakers that are asked here in the community circles, except that one about price, which is considered promotional.  All the other answers you posted here were informative and within the site guidelines.  But you can talk about your products more freely in the commercial zone.

On a personal note, I'm really looking forward to hearing them at Cap Fest this year.  I'll admit to not having given them a fair listen last year, there's only so much time and I walked in and thought, nice speakers, nothing special, and left.  I think I may have short changed myself and I'm looking forward to part deux.

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jul 2013, 04:42 pm »
I'm looking forward to hear them as the 1s was really nice the prior year

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jul 2013, 06:27 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the folks from AC in person. With help from Rollo Audio And Triode Pete, I can say the setup this year will be a lot better than what I had last year.  Greg

007KLH

« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2013, 10:28 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the folks from AC in person. With help from Rollo Audio And Triode Pete, I can say the setup this year will be a lot better than what I had last year.  Greg

Greg, I think your setup was a huge improvement from 2012, a real nice synergy with the Arion amps, Dodd preamp, and Pete's new speaker cables and AC cords. I understand you are including Triode Wire Labs AC cords standard for the powered subs in your GTA 2s, they must have really impressed you. The new cosmetics on the GTA 2s, solid mahogany and the single grille give it a more finished presentation compared to the 2012's veneer and split grille look. Both rooms you shared with Rollo Audio and Triode Pete were always packed with people, and the hallway buzz was all about those planars at the end of the corridor. I absolutely loved listening to music in your rooms, and I spent more time in them than any other at the show. The new GTA 1s are a flat out bargain for $ 2700/pr, and the big GTA 2s compete with speakers twice their cost, all while being an easy load to drive. I listened to my show music, about 6 selections, in 30 different systems over the 3 days, and your systems  most interestingly easily revealed a lot more detail and information, had focused vocals the correct size, had a wide sweet spot, were explosively exciting, and just drew me into the music, not only mine but other's selections as well. The songs  I played all show long were just more "you are there" in your 2 rooms. For example, on Cat Steven's Where Do The Children Play, the guitar strings being strummed were so much more evident and not buried in the mix. I found myself smiling and bopping my head to the music, what more can you ask?

GT Audio Works

• Industry Participant
    • GT Audio Works
« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2013, 01:32 am »
It was nice to see you at CAF again Kemper. When I met Pete and Charlie at CAF 2012, we saw an opportunity to put a great system together and made plans for the following year.
 Charlie from Rollo Audio has a great ear and the ability to sniff out great sounding components, Pete from Triode Wire Labs makes an outstanding power cord and speaker cable... plus they are one of the best bargains in high end audio.
We had a blast and were busy all weekend long. I was amazed by all the killer tracks people brought to demo.
Congratulations on your write-up in Enjoy The Music. Your writing shows a lot of effort and research into details went into your report.
                              Greg
                              GT Audio Works

Scotlynn

« Reply #39 on: 9 Feb 2014, 12:59 am »
I've promised some folks that I would post a short update of my review of Greg's speakers after getting the upgraded drivers and spending some time with them. I've had the new models for a couple of months now and have done a lot of listening - meant to post this a few weeks ago, but non-music life has been seriously interfering lately!!! Anyways....

I'll leave it to Greg to weigh in on any technical aspects of the upgrades except to say that there are a whole new set of drivers, including a new copper foil midrange planar. All drivers were installed in the existing cabinets.

My system remains pretty much the same as my original review. For some reason, the Psvane KT88's I ordered for the Carver Cherry 180's did not work out - they constantly caused fuses to blow on the amps and I was sadly forced to return them. So the Carvers are running the original Silver Eagles. My analogue front end is now a VPI Classic I with a Soundsmith Zephyr MI cartridge. I also switched in a pair of Sophia 6SN7's up top on my Modwright Sony XA540ES. Finally, I settled on a pair of Acoustic Zen Hologram II's for my speaker cables. All of these changes predated the upgrade of the GTA 2s by many months, so I can firmly discount these tweaks as the basis for my views on Greg's new iteration of the GTA 2s..

In a nutshell, Greg's speaker just got a bit better. I was already very happy with the prior model as my original review stated. I found the GTA's to be the most versatile speaker I've ever owned and they really have driven me to listen to, and enjoy, even more of my music collection than I did before. But Greg is not the type of guy to rest on his laurels and he has managed to squeeze out a little more performance without having to demand an appreciable increase in final cost.

Where are the differences? I've run through many of the same tracks I used in my original review and also added a bunch of music to my critical listening sessions - from some long stints with Lizz Wright, to a bunch of British classical (RVW, Holst, Delius) and some Andy McKee Acoustic guitar work. I am finding there to be a slightly cleaner and tighter presentation across all ranges, but most pronounced in the lower mids through upper bass. There's slightly better fluidity and definition through this part of the sound spectrum then there was before, perhaps resulting from improved integration between these new bass drivers. I am also getting a touch warmer sound on the upper mids, which, as I stated previously, was the only thing I missed from my prior cone-based speakers. The rest of my views above regarding quickness, detail, etc. remains largely unchanged.

I'm not going to say the differences in the new speakers are earth shattering. Greg already had a great speaker and for me the differences in the new version are subtle, but definite.The nice thing is that all of us audio nuts often spend a lot of money for incremental upgrades or the latest tweaks, but with Greg's upgraded GTA 2 model there's not a lot more to spend for a measurably better product.

Greg has done it again with his new version of the GTA 2 - he's produced a great, affordable and, most importantly (to me) musical speaker. If you're looking to spend many 10's of thousands of dollars (or more) with speaker manufacturers who think listening to tunes should be a clinical exercise, then there are lots of companies out there willing to sell you a product. But if you just want to sit down, tap your feet, nod your head and simply enjoy the music (and use all that leftover cash to add to what I consider the most important part of any sound system - your music collection) you can't go wrong with Greg's wonderful speaker system.