Philharmonic Audio

charmerci

Philharmonic Audio
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 07:48 pm »
Frank,

I know that you sent some equipment to Dennis Murphy to use on his Philharmonic Audio speakers. Have you heard them?

Are there any other AVA owners that have these speakers that can make comments on them?

(My avatar is his monitors but I presently can't access my AVA equipment.)

underdawg

• Industry Participant
Re: Philharmonic Audio
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:14 pm »
i currently use a monitor of sort, I am looking to upgrade my zalytron cabbase kit with 8 inch woofers. I find it hard to find a minimum 8 inch woofer for a two way, besides the fact i set mine up unique so to say see my avatar.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:15 pm »
by the way my speakers in the pic were a kit but they provided the cabinets, i use them biamped sometimes but always biwired at least.I built them in 1993.

woodsart

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:25 pm »
Mr. Charmerci,

How are you doing man?

Couldn't resist on commenting.......

You know I have heard them :thumb: The philharmonitor 2s are the ones I am familiar with not the 1s. I have heard the Songtowers (Dennis' design as well) with AVA equipment and I was blown away and it was then I begin to follow Dennis/Jim (Salk).  As you mentioned I think Dennis using Frank's amps too. So that says something, buddy.

The songtowers have the seas/hiquphon and another form of ribbon tweet, but not the fountek.

Unfortunately I do not own any of the AVA equipment, (wish I did), but I have friends who have it and haven't considered changing...... :nono:

Can't imagine the monitors would not sing to their hearts content.

Robert

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:45 pm »
Robert,

Doing well. I just like the monitors more and more. (But really, they need a sub to fill them out even thought they go down to F3 42hz.) I'm listening to Floyd's DSM  :o (2003 SACD hybrid) and just wow!

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:57 pm »
I've heard them at the Capital Audiofest with AVA equipment and the models I heard (the floorstanders) all sounded excellent.  A great value for the money.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
I heard them there too and thought they were nice but somewhat analytical sounding, The mids sounded kind of "hard" IMHO but to be fair, this trait was shared by all the planar-driver systems I heard.

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm »
I've got a pair of Philharmonic 3's and an Insight+500 amp with an Audible Illusions L3 preamp and AVA Vision DAC.  I haven't actually hooked the 3's up yet to it as I'm moving but my older pair of Philharmonic 2's sounded great with that amp - better than the Parasound A21 I was driving them with. 

Talked to Frank last week and will probably order a Fet Valve 600R for my Magnepan 3.7's and might also get a Synergy 450 for the Phils but that will need to wait till I get into the new house and get situated.