Omni-Directional Speakers?

DavidS

Omni-Directional Speakers?
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:19 am »
Wasn't sure where to put this post but this seems as good as any.

I feel like I am returning from down the rabbit hole - have purchased a rare find a brand new McCormack DNA-125 after 5+ years down the SET and high efficiency speaker path.  Suddenly a whole new range of speakers is open to me (I know I now stand in a field of 50 rabbit holes - hmmm which one do I take)....

On the weekend I got reading reviews of various Duevel speakers.  People who have them love them.  Have to say the concept of omni-directional dispersion makes good sense from a how sound is presented perspective.  Any experience with these and what do they do well, not do well compared to other speakers.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Omni-Directional Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:38 am »
take a look for some thoughts on the subject here...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111803.0

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:49 am »
I think the old Design Acoustics D-12 has a more true omnidirectional concept than Duevel, but they might be a bit harder to come by.  I've had a pair since '76 and still use them for HT.  To this day, the only thing that surpases their ability to create an orchestra and hall are my GR-Research LS9s.
Mine are blue like the ones pictured below.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:56 am »
The Obelisk has also been around for a while - http://shahinianacoustics.com/

DavidS

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:51 am »
never seen the design acoustics before - very cool looking speakers - would love to hear them.  In fact have never heard an omni speaker before. 

Some good reading on the the thread.  How do they sound compared to planars - used to own a pair of maggies that I loved but family didn't.  Seems like not much new technology / brands in the omni world.  Have seen used Duevel planets for sale here in Canada.

think my curiosity is probably the negative for many - as with the blue design acoustics there is something exotic about the appearance and this notion of live music lovers speakers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:26 am »
I wouldn't kick some MBL's outta bed.  I know, you wouldn't either.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:49 am »
I wouldn't kick some MBL's outta bed.  I know, you wouldn't either.
Well, seeing how much of the MBL line is in the $40-75K range, I'm not likely to have the opportunity to "kick them outta bed". If memory serves, I think I paid about $400 used for the D12's all those years ago- can't sell them now, as my daughter wants them when she marries the fiance and gets a house.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:05 pm »
I think the old Design Acoustics D-12 has a more true omnidirectional concept than Duevel, but they might be a bit harder to come by.  I've had a pair since '76 and still use them for HT.  To this day, the only thing that surpases their ability to create an orchestra and hall are my GR-Research LS9s.
Mine are blue like the ones pictured below.
Whoa, far out. Forgot about those. Do you use a center?
The Linkwitz Pluto is a DIY omni that is affordable, non DIY, Morrison Audio makes some nice stuff.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:07 pm »
Have seen used Duevel planets for sale here in Canada.
http://www.morrisonaudio.com/morrison_loudspeakers.htm mentioned above is in Toronto iirc.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:24 pm »
Wasn't sure where to put this post but this seems as good as any.

I feel like I am returning from down the rabbit hole - have purchased a rare find a brand new McCormack DNA-125 after 5+ years down the SET and high efficiency speaker path.  Suddenly a whole new range of speakers is open to me (I know I now stand in a field of 50 rabbit holes - hmmm which one do I take)....

On the weekend I got reading reviews of various Duevel speakers.  People who have them love them.  Have to say the concept of omni-directional dispersion makes good sense from a how sound is presented perspective.  Any experience with these and what do they do well, not do well compared to other speakers.

The three that come to mind are Duevel, Mirage, and Morrison.  I have no experience with Duevel, but would love to own them someday.  What I do have is the 'new generation' Mirage;  I really like them a lot and I think Mirage's omniguide design is brilliant.  I'm definitely, 100% never returning to forward firing speakers again. 

I think it's somewhere in Linkwitz's pages (?) where it is discussed the technical differences between omnidirectional and polydirectional, and it's not just theoretical.  I know Morrison certainly goes off on polydirectional designs somewhere on his website.   

DavidS

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:44 pm »
seems to be a huge following for Ohm Walsh speakers - are they omni-directionals?

have never come across the Morrison Speakers - seems to have some pedigree / history but not particularly active at building speakers?  Never seen a pair for sale before.

milford3

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2013, 07:45 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:12 pm »
seems to be a huge following for Ohm Walsh speakers - are they omni-directionals?

have never come across the Morrison Speakers - seems to have some pedigree / history but not particularly active at building speakers?  Never seen a pair for sale before.
The Walsh drivers are pretty omnidirectional.  The bass is a pretty standard box speaker.  I haven't heard a pair in a looooong time- maybe 30+ years- but I remember that they were very impressive in their day.

JerryLove

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm »
Axioms new Omni-Directional

I don't think bipolar = omni.

tonyptony

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:04 am »
There's a pair of Obelisks up for sale on Audiogon now.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-shahinian-obelisk-speakers-2013-01-12-speakers-20774-upper-marlboro-md

I have no connection with the seller, but I do own Shahinians myself. If you want to experience omni (or polyradial as in the case of Shahinian) sound then you'd be hard pressed to find any omnis at the asking price sounding more like real music. The trick with these old Obelisks is to find out when they were last upgraded. They sounded fine in early production, but the latest models with the newest woofers and passives do sound better. Shahinian Acoustics can retrofit older models, but then you'd have to ship the speakers to them if you're not within driving distance of Long Island.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:31 am »

DavidS

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:41 pm »
I am amazed at how many different omnis are out there (the Decwares look beautiful - I have a Decware zen which I doubt will drive these)...as I don't read much about them (there is a huge Ohm thread on Audiogon though).

Curious about how an omni might compare to a planar like Magnepans.

* similar prices
* not as difficult from size perspective,
* some similarities with non-boxed sound, non-point source sound
* equally difficult loads

anyone spent time with both speaker types?

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2013, 07:59 pm »
That Decware design is pretty similar to some of the GR-Research kits.
http://gr-research.com/o-3.aspx

bondmanp

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:50 pm »
There's a huge Ohm Walsh (actually started for the Micro Walsh Tall, but covers all Ohm Walsh speakers) on A'gon.  I have owned a pair of 2000s (current model) for about 3 years.   Also posted a review at that site.  Here's the thing:  I am sure the other brands mentioned have their charms, but for the money, the Ohm's are a great value, do almost everything right, and beg to be paired with electronics way above what you'd think given their prices.  Plus, many of these omni manufacturers seem to come and go.  Ohm has a long, steady history.  John Strohbeen, owner and designer, is no spring chicken, but if I have him figured correctly, he will not leave the company without insuring he leaves competent management in place.  As for whether they are true omnis, well, they are, but John has attenuated the output somewhat to the rear to facilitate placement nearer to the front wall.  If you want, he will avoid that feature and deliver a true omni, but it will sound different.