Newbe looking for speaker advise

gmurray618

Newbe looking for speaker advise
« on: 27 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm »
Hello AC,
I just found this site and thought that this might be the right place to post this question.  I want a pair of speakers that will WOW me.  Send me to that happy timeless place.  Now there is no way I can afford them, so if I DIY it and call it a hobby I'm not just wasting money on a pair of speakers, its my new hobby.  :)   I build myself a beautiful two Channel amp this way.  (F5 by Nelson Pass, got help from someone one DIY Audio.)  Now I want the speakers I could never afford.  The two on my short list are GR Research's N3 and Planet 10-hifi's Frugel-Horn, a full range speaker.  Any opinions would be welcome as well as other directions.  My cabinetry skills are, well I can cut a strait line and follow plans, but minimal real experience.  But that won't stop me!  :)

Thanks in advance,
George
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2013, 01:39 am by gmurray618 »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Newbe looking for speaker advise
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:46 pm »
Hey George,

Welcome to AC.  You can post almost whatever you want to in the MAAC, but you might get a wider response in the Enclosures circle.  Feel free to open a thread there, or if you like I can move this one over there for you.

gmurray618

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2013, 08:47 pm »
Thanks, that would be great.   I put it here thinking I might be able to invite myself for a listen (for the price a good beer) if the person was open to the idea. 

By the way, I'm on the map!  Cool idea.

gmurray618

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2013, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for the move LetItRolr98.    :)

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm »
Gmurray618, I love your attitude(but that won't stop me).Parts Express has a lot of speaker parts and some premade and knock down cabinets,ones you build yourself but are pre-cut.Check Madisound too.They both have real good on-line catalogs.Google their names and they will come right up.Good luck! You go for it....Mark K.

gmurray618

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm »
Thanks Mark.  I guess my question is more along the lines of - How do i evaluate the speaker with out the 'luxury' of being able to listen to it before building it?  I want to build a speaker that I can't afford (as an off-the-shelf, prebuilt name brand speaker).  I want to build a speaker that sends chills down my spine when I here that guitar lick that I've listened to, and loved for years but now ... flows through me with nuances I never new existed.  Yea I know a speaker is in the ear of the beholder, but ...

I'm looking for a speaker with imaging and uncolored detail and if I can get away without a sub (at least for a few years) - bonus!

I suppose I'm looking for some opinions as well as factual guidance. 

Thanks,
George

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm »
Hi George,I know what you mean.I live in Portland Maine.When I was 18 there were all sorts of stereo or hifi stores around.Even if I could not afford a great pair of speakers I could go listen to them.I'm 56 now and still wrapped up in this phobia,but all those stores are gone.I would have to travel 100 miles to the Boston area to audition a pair.I still can't afford em so I started building my own,it's more fun,and you got something no one else has.The only thing I can do is subscribe to Stereophile and Absolute Sound magizines,their cheap if you subscribe,not buy from a book store,and trust the reviewers ears until you can get to a good hi-fi place.There was a time a while ago where you could get these things called jobs.As Maine's economy went south,so did the stores.Something in your post inspired me!You will find that speaker system,you got the right attitude!....Mark.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2013, 11:11 pm »
There is a thread on the GR circle called "GR Research Owner's Audition List".  If there is someone in your location on that list pm him.

I have the N3s and really enjoy them.  Can't compare to your other choice though.  If you didn't like them they shouldn't be too hard to sell.  And you know, for speaker building to be a hobby you have to build more than one pair... :wink:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2013, 08:00 pm »
Hi George,this is from Parts Express.It is a transmission line kit,pre sawed pieces.There are 38 reviews,just look for them.The back of these look like one of the kits you were looking at.Go Niners,I don't want to see Ray Lewis do that dance again.....Mark Korda(http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-702)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2013, 08:05 pm »
I would put the GR kits at a level above the P.E and Madisound stuff- based on Danny Richie's talents for crossover design.  I've used that P.E tweeter, and it doesn't compare to Danny's least expensive tweeter, much less the Neo tweeters. 

gmurray618

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2013, 09:36 pm »
That's helpful.  thanks Mark and Clark.  It feels like I'm getting closer to a GR kit.  I keep going back and looking at the N3 and O-3.  I haven't read anything negative about of Danny's lines. 

Just wondering if anyone had an opnioun.  They will go in my 'office' about 12x15 feet - perhaps some day become part of a 5.1 system I don't have yet. 

Thanks,
George
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2013, 01:37 am by gmurray618 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2013, 07:45 pm »
The O-3 needs to placed further into the room.  The N3 can be made with the port forward facing and can be placed a bit closer to the wall.  The O-3's might integrate into a surround system more easily.  As always, decisions about compromises.  I've heard both, and you really can't go wrong with either.

Scott

gmurray618

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2013, 12:24 am »
Thanks Scott.  I suppose that would be 3 feet from the back of the speaker.    :? :lol:   

You made me go do some research about the affecs of speaker placement near walls.    8)
My bookshelf speakers are about 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the wall - Infact the right speaker is infront of a bookcase on a different wall and not even perpendicular to it.  I move them around now and then searching for that sweet spot to manifest where I sit infront of my desk. 

So ... Given that they are both realy nice speakers,
•  Dose one shine in some particular way over the other? (articulation of base, imaging, ???) I would think they would have different strengths given such a different design - forward mid/base Vs. upward fireing. 
•  To make the N3 a forward fireing port are there any other modifications needed?  (switch braces around?)  how would moving the port affect the sound since the base is no longer reflecting off the back wall?
•  is it implied by your commet that O-3 should not be moved?
•  Is one signignificatly more difficult To build (dosn't seem so).