Budget tube amp for Magnepan MMGs

Maritan

Budget tube amp for Magnepan MMGs
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 04:11 pm »
My current set up for stereo is (check out my entire set up and possibly important room info under my Systems page):

Integra DVD player used as a CD player (Oppo 105 on the way)
TAD-150 Signature pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-2
MMG (eventually to be upgraded to MG12 or 1.7 - love the Maggie sound)
Rel T2 sub

I listen to Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson (front man for PT), Perfect Circle. I'm also getting into jazz, and fusion and enjoying it immensely. I do NOT like it ear bleeding loud. I do not want my neighbour in his house to know which band I'm listening to.  I do like what I'm hearing with the set up as is. But I also want to experiment.

I'm looking to buy a tube amplifier for under $1500 that can drive the MMG to reasonably loud volumes. I love the Maggie sound, so my plan is to eventually upgrade to an MG12 or the 1.7 depending on which I feel best suits my room (maybe another thread?). I want to experiment with a full tube set up and see if I prefer the Emotiva or whatever tube amp I end up acquiring.

With all that said, does anybody have any recommendations for tube amplifiers?

Ericus Rex

Re: Budget tube amp for Magnepan MMGs
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:09 pm »
You could find a used Rogue Stereo 90 for your price range.  I have one and like it quite a bit.  It's quite fast with good tight bass so your rock and prog won't suffer.  I think it'll put out slightly over 100 watts/channel if you use KT120s in it.  If you want something slightly more on the 'toobey' side of the fence (though still quite neutral) I'd recommend Quicksilver.  Given your speakers I'd stick with the KT88 monos or larger.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Maritan

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. In my research, I've also come across the following:

1. PrimaLuna ProLogue Series (I was looking at the 6 - monoblocks, 70W)
2. Yaqin MC-100B - Very up and down accounts around the net, with an instead need to change tubes out and possibly modify to better sound. I'd prefer to avoid this avenue if I can.
3. VAS Citation II monoblocks - only 50W - I'm not sure if it will be able to drive the MMGs loud enough? Any inputs? If this kind of power will work, then my options start widening up quite a bit.

Thanks once again.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:12 pm »
I think Primaluna and Rogue are great choices. I have the Line Magnetic Audio 216ia but i heard all three brands. The 216ia does not have the power you need.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:18 pm »
Maggies have a love affair with Conrad Johnson and Audio Research. Two different flavors, The CJ rich the AR neutral. Hybrid designs with a tubed input and SS output is another option. With you music tastes the hybrid may be a better choice. Hope this helps.

charles

ken

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:54 pm »
I would contact Jim Nicholls from JWN amps. He can build you a killer amp for that price and customize it to fit your needs.  He's an easy guy to work with and his amps sound great.

jwnamplifiers.vpweb.com

ken

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:03 pm »
You may also want to check this out as well.  No affiliation with the seller

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112351.0

Davey

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:05 pm »
You have a good amplifier for those speakers now.  Why in the world would you want to fool around with silly low-powered tube amps?  Sock that money away for your eventual upgrade to 1.7's.  Money much better spent.

Cheers,

Dave.

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:16 pm »
You have a good amplifier for those speakers now.  Why in the world would you want to fool around with silly low-powered tube amps?  Sock that money away for your eventual upgrade to 1.7's.  Money much better spent.

Cheers,

Dave.
I agree with this. I have two systems and in the MMG system I have a Parasound A21 driving the speakers.
I would not try to drive them with a tube amp, they are very current hungry. And if you upgrade the Magnepans you'll need the power.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2013, 07:47 pm »
Sorry to disagree . Tubed amps with proper power are just fine. For years we used the Audio Research DR 250 servo Mk2 with our 3As. With 240W of triode bliss, just dandy. It is just personal preference. No amp is better just different.
    The Parasound product line is a good match for Maggies as it is  warm in character. Same with Plinius. BTW did not Magnepan recently show their speakers with Audio Research. Just saying. David is all I can say.

charles

Davey

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:53 am »
Well, the qualifier there being "proper power."  The MMG's are a terrific speaker that will perform well with either tube or SS amps...of proper power.  But I don't see the reasoning in making lateral/downgrade moves with power amplifier selection when the money could be prioritized better.

I disagree that "no amp is better just different."  That's an extremely naive point of view and minimizes the solid engineering work that goes into some (better) amplifiers vice others.

Cheers,

Dave.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:53 am »
 Yeah, if amps weren't better, just different, there'd be no justifying the price tags... I'll tell you right now the amps I'm running now are light years ahead of the crap in my long unused PC speaker setup. Better? Oh yes.

50 watts is pretty dissapointing on MMG's. I've run about 85 watts per side (Virtue Two) and 30 watts per side (TBI Millennia). 85 watts is clipping all the time at just above 80dB or so... clip clip clip clip! Believe it.

30 watts was about as loud (well, not really), but just didn't work.

At now just under 500 watts per side with my latest amps, and very high quality watts too, they really open up a LOT. Fully ripened, as it were. They like power.

Save your 50 watt tube amp for something with speaker cones.

medium jim

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2013, 05:13 am »
Yeah, if amps weren't better, just different, there'd be no justifying the price tags... I'll tell you right now the amps I'm running now are light years ahead of the crap in my long unused PC speaker setup. Better? Oh yes.

50 watts is pretty dissapointing on MMG's. I've run about 85 watts per side (Virtue Two) and 30 watts per side (TBI Millennia). 85 watts is clipping all the time at just above 80dB or so... clip clip clip clip! Believe it.

30 watts was about as loud (well, not really), but just didn't work.

At now just under 500 watts per side with my latest amps, and very high quality watts too, they really open up a LOT. Fully ripened, as it were. They like power.

Save your 50 watt tube amp for something with speaker cones.

Bad advice especially from someone who has never owned a tube amp. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2013, 06:57 am »

Bad advice especially from someone who has never owned a tube amp. 

Jim

Are you saying Davey is giving bad advice? I'm giving the same as him, almost word for word. I would not put a 50 watt anything on these speakers, I would put as much as possible, from my experience.

medium jim

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:09 am »
I respect Davey, but don't always agree with him, at least he has first hand experience on the subject.  SteveFord linked up a pair of killer tube Amps that would drive MMG's beyond loud and that wouldn't be a downgrade as suggested by Davey.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:25 am »
not much more powerful than my Tripath. Yeah, it would work, and get passably loud. And clip like crazy.

For optimal power I would at least have 2 - 300 watts. They take almost 5 without any issue, these speakers need a lot of good power to sound their best and that's a long known fact about Maggies, I'm sure you're aware. Sure a small amp works, but isn't recommended. Tube or otherwise. Not by Magnepan, nor anyone here.

On the topic of "Budget tube amps", Steve Ford seems to have pulled a good one, but I'm with Davey in that I would put the money elsewhere at the moment.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:10 pm »
My experience has been that it is wrong to say 50 ss watts equal 50 tube watts.  I'm sure those 100 watt mono amps linked would kick butt with the Maggies.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:25 pm »
My experience has been that it is wrong to say 50 ss watts equal 50 tube watts.  I'm sure those 100 watt mono amps linked would kick butt with the Maggies.

Ah, but who needs experience to argue on an Internet forum?

BTW, I agree with you. Hell, I'm sure there are some valve amps rated at under 100wpc that would light up a pair of MMGs quite nicely.