8" Single Servo Sub

HT cOz

Re: 8" Single Servo Sub
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:17 pm »
Danny any updates on when the amps are going to be out?  This thread is approaching a year old. 

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #41 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:16 pm »
^^^

Anyone who are interested should send me email as soon as possible as I am arranging air-ship units and i need a tally of how many units to airship. I need stress that the goal of these 8" is to be intended for design requiring higher crossover, for instance, up to 200hz to 250hz.  That means customers most likely will need two amplifiers with 4 drivers for stereo midbass-subwoofer arrangement. We will set up the pricing such that there will be discount that when buying that as opposed to one amplifier with two drivers.

The above is for sealed version. The amps for OB version are also available. Clearly state which configuration is needed when sending emails.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:40 pm »
Would dual 12" or dual 8" OB be better suited for playing close to 300 Hz?  Assuming a completely active setup with DEQX and one without?  Thoughts?

The concern in the high pass on the midrange needs to be no lower than 300 Hz.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:43 pm »
Would dual 12" or dual 8" OB be better suited for playing close to 300 Hz?  Assuming a completely active setup with DEQX and one without?  Thoughts?

I'd say that 250Hz is max.  Yes?

I need stress that the goal of these 8" is to be intended for design requiring higher crossover, for instance, up to 200hz to 250hz. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:04 pm »

Both the 12's and 8's are capable of playing up to a 300Hz crossover point.

Two things though.

One, try to avoid the 300Hz to 500Hz range for a crossover point. That is the heart of the mid-range. Get down to 200Hz or less and you avoid a ton of problems.

Secondly, I consider the DEQX it be at the top of the currently available digital crossovers, but still budget to mid-fi in performance compared to what I am used to. It is a fun toy that will get you good sound, but not into the upper levels of high end audio.

WC

« Reply #45 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:05 pm »
^^^

Anyone who are interested should send me email as soon as possible as I am arranging air-ship units and i need a tally of how many units to airship. I need stress that the goal of these 8" is to be intended for design requiring higher crossover, for instance, up to 200hz to 250hz.  That means customers most likely will need two amplifiers with 4 drivers for stereo midbass-subwoofer arrangement. We will set up the pricing such that there will be discount that when buying that as opposed to one amplifier with two drivers.

The above is for sealed version. The amps for OB version are also available. Clearly state which configuration is needed when sending emails.

So you wouldn't recommend them for single driver 8" sealed subs. I had been thinking of getting 2 of the 8" single driver subs instead of a 12". They would fit better in my room.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:16 pm »
Both the 12's and 8's are capable of playing up to a 300Hz crossover point.

Two things though.

One, try to avoid the 300Hz to 500Hz range for a crossover point. That is the heart of the mid-range. Get down to 200Hz or less and you avoid a ton of problems.

Secondly, I consider the DEQX it be at the top of the currently available digital crossovers, but still budget to mid-fi in performance compared to what I am used to. It is a fun toy that will get you good sound, but not into the upper levels of high end audio.

Thank you for answering my questions Danny.  :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #47 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:34 pm »
Thank you for answering my questions Danny.  :thumb:

Remember too... the sealed version are 4 ohm I believe (not sure how many Bryan wants on one amp) and the OBs are capable of running three 8 inch subs off one amp just fine.

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:39 pm »
So you wouldn't recommend them for single driver 8" sealed subs. I had been thinking of getting 2 of the 8" single driver subs instead of a 12". They would fit better in my room.

No problem. There is a 4 ohm woofer to be used by itself in a sealed box.

jparkhur

« Reply #49 on: 11 Nov 2013, 08:41 pm »
No problem. There is a 4 ohm woofer to be used by itself in a sealed box.

D.

Can he wire those differently to get more use?  Or only one.  Has to be a 4 ohm load? 

JP

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:08 pm »
D.

Can he wire those differently to get more use?  Or only one.  Has to be a 4 ohm load? 

JP

You can run one of the 4 ohm woofers by itself or a pair of the 8 ohm woofers on that same amp.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:22 pm »
Danny,

Does this mean we will get to see the new OB designs soon?  :drool:

Mike

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #52 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:36 pm »
You can run one of the 4 ohm woofers by itself or a pair of the 8 ohm woofers on that same amp.

Danny, remember there are two amps: HX300 and HX580. HX300 has one Hypex module whereas HX580 has two modules. So HX580 is what is meant to be sealed version and it can drive two 4ohm 8" drivers. Since there are two Hypex modules, you can place each driver in its own enclosure and place them far apart. But we still want these drivers work more or less like a subwoofer and they do go down to lower than 20hz.

HX300 is currently configured as OB only.

While there are 8ohm version 8" drivers for sealed operation, there are meant be to used by a larger amp, not HX300.

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:44 pm »
Oh, okay. They can still put two of the 8 ohm woofers on a HX300 in a sealed box though right? Or they could put four of the 8 ohm woofers on the HX580 as well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 11 Nov 2013, 10:11 pm »
Hypex UcD?

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #55 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:45 pm »
Oh, okay. They can still put two of the 8 ohm woofers on a HX300 in a sealed box though right? Or they could put four of the 8 ohm woofers on the HX580 as well.

I would recommend at least 200WRMS for each driver. Two drivers need at least 400WRMS. So they are really for more customers want 4 8" driver per channel and use HX800 amp.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #56 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:46 pm »
Hypex UcD?

Yes. That is how we can make it more compact.

rak313

« Reply #57 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:59 pm »
^^^

Anyone who are interested should send me email as soon as possible as I am arranging air-ship units and i need a tally of how many units to airship. I need stress that the goal of these 8" is to be intended for design requiring higher crossover, for instance, up to 200hz to 250hz.  ....

Has a price been set for the amplifiers intended for the 8" (sealed box) speakers? And can you point me to the specs on them (or a verbal description)?  Also is the cost of all the 8" speakers the same as the 16 ohm 8" OB version?

Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 12 Nov 2013, 12:43 am »
Yes. That is how we can make it more compact.
Very cool!  Have you been using Hypex amps in the other plate amps too? 

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #59 on: 12 Nov 2013, 04:06 am »
Now I'm confused.  I'd like to add an 8" sealed sub to a set of X-LS classics for a computer setup.  A single 8" driver seems like an excellent, compact option.  Which amp would I need to pair with which driver?  HX580 w/ 4 Ohm driver and leaving one amp unused?  Are there any plans for a sealed enclosure w/ a single 8" driver?