Bryston BP-17 Preamp

mrhyfy

Robert D

Re: Bryston BP-17 Preamp
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2012, 02:46 pm »
With all of the advancements with All of the New Technology Bryston is still ahead of the game.
Congradulations to James and the Team at Bryston

Robert

drubin

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:05 pm »
Is there a photo of the back panel available anywhere?

The release indicates no balanced inputs or outputs and only one set of outputs. Is that correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:19 pm »

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:33 pm »
  Looks like balanced out  but unfortunately no ins :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:44 pm »
  Looks like balanced out  but unfortunately no ins :scratch:

Correct ... no ins.

james

drubin

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:18 pm »
Thanks James.  No in's is a little disappointing, but balanced out -- and multiple outs to accommodate subwoofers -- is very good news.

Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:24 pm »
Thanks James.  No in's is a little disappointing, but balanced out -- and multiple outs to accommodate subwoofers -- is very good news.

Dan

Yes Balanced out is more critical given the typical long cable runs to amplifiers vs the short distances from sources to preamp.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:18 pm »
So, does this exceed the BP26 in performance or is the 26 still top of the line (balanced ins aside)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:23 pm »
So, does this exceed the BP26 in performance or is the 26 still top of the line (balanced ins aside)?

The BP-17 uses the preamp ideas from the SP-3 so it is a more up to date design.

james

servingko

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:27 pm »
The BP-17 uses the preamp ideas from the SP-3 so it is a more up to date design.

james

A carefully crafted answer;-).  We will have to wait for the early adopters to chime in.

spinner

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm »
  How about a BP27 with "ALL" the balanced features and more usable outboard power supply? :thumb:

werd

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2012, 05:07 am »
Wth!!!!

I thought this was a thread about the orig ht processor......  :lol:

Ok folks, just for the record I called this first. I knew that the SP3 was going to generate a new pre. I said this about a year and a half a go.

werd

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2012, 12:42 pm »
What's the gain on this pre?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:13 pm »
What's the gain on this pre?

Hi Werd

Not sure - will ask engineering.

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:33 pm »
A little confused now  :scratch:

"According to the company, the BP17 employs its most advanced analog circuitry, power-supply design, and isolation techniques, providing audiophiles with an “ultimate-performance” preamplifier that delivers outstanding sonic performance. "

Is the BP 26 with the external power supply now antiquated and will it be discontinued in the near future?

If you do not require balanced inputs due to the short runs required from source components such as a CD player and if the power supply in the BP 17 is quieter(?) and can be installed in the same housing as the pre-amplifier without noise issues, why purchase a BP 26 over a BP 17? Also I was wondering if the power supplies can now be installed in a pre-amplifier, will we see these power supplies installed in other Bryston components so we will not require an external power supply?

You almost need a program to figure out what manufacturers are offering in products these days, case-in-point,  I just got home from pricing a Honda Civic and between DX, LX,EX and Touring models and with all the incarnations - it can be difficult to keep up on pricing  :duh:

Be well... 

werd

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm »
A little confused now  :scratch:

"According to the company, the BP17 employs its most advanced analog circuitry, power-supply design, and isolation techniques, providing audiophiles with an “ultimate-performance” preamplifier that delivers outstanding sonic performance. "

Is the BP 26 with the external power supply now antiquated and will it be discontinued in the near future?

If you do not require balanced inputs due to the short runs required from source components such as a CD player and if the power supply in the BP 17 is quieter(?) and can be installed in the same housing as the pre-amplifier without noise issues, why purchase a BP 26 over a BP 17? Also I was wondering if the power supplies can now be installed in a pre-amplifier, will we see these power supplies installed in other Bryston components so we will not require an external power supply?

You almost need a program to figure out what manufacturers are offering in products these days, case-in-point,  I just got home from pricing a Honda Civic and between DX, LX,EX and Touring models and with all the incarnations - it can be difficult to keep up on pricing  :duh:

Be well...

Laundrew

The other day I went and had a listen to the model Ts. You can ask James because emailed him right after.
This is basically what I said to him.

"Got to the hear the model Ts today. They are real nice but what surprised me the most was the super hot pre amp  in the sp3." unquote

The sp3 is a dam fine 2 ch pre.

I know lately I have sounded really enthusiastic but i am not over playing anything. The stuff thats coming from The Big B lately has been really good. Not much of a fan of the bp26 I should add.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2012, 12:37 am »

Laundrew

The other day I went and had a listen to the model Ts. You can ask James because emailed him right after.
This is basically what I said to him.

"Got to the hear the model Ts today. They are real nice but what surprised me the most was the super hot pre amp  in the sp3." unquote

The sp3 is a dam fine 2 ch pre.

I know lately I have sounded really enthusiastic but i am not over playing anything. The stuff thats coming from The Big B lately has been really good. Not much of a fan of the bp26 I should add.

Greetings werd   :D

As when time marches on, so come the refinements in many products and previous models are delegated to the shadows. By perusing the BP 17 link, I had the impression that it will be surpassing the BP 26 in both performance and sound quality as it is a more up to date design. Unless the BP 26 is currently in the window for upgrading, why purchase a BP 26 as it is now obsolete when compared to the BP 17's new circuitry? Why not have balanced inputs on the BP 17 or would this of truly been a BP 26 slayer?

I would much rather update an amplifier compared to a digital audio component as fewer "MACious Loops" are involved with amplifiers.   

Be well...

werd

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2012, 01:33 am »
Greetings werd   :D

As when time marches on, so come the refinements in many products and previous models are delegated to the shadows. By perusing the BP 17 link, I had the impression that it will be surpassing the BP 26 in both performance and sound quality as it is a more up to date design. Unless the BP 26 is currently in the window for upgrading, why purchase a BP 26 as it is now obsolete when compared to the BP 17's new circuitry? Why not have balanced inputs on the BP 17 or would this of truly been a BP 26 slayer?

I would much rather update an amplifier compared to a digital audio component as fewer "MACious Loops" are involved with amplifiers.   

Be well...

My gothic adviser.

Laundrew i dont know why they didnt include xlr in. This tells me that this is not a balanced pre but just a pre with balanced outputs. For me i ran my bp25 mps2 with rca in and xlr out since i found i liked the rca in better using xlr out into my 14b. Is it a coincidence or does rca just sound better like this? I thought it did generally but i don't know. At least you got xlr out.