Interconnect Kits - UP-OCC, Rectangular, & Cotton Dialectic

HT cOz

I have  6  2 sets of 1 meter Tramontana kits on sale for $75 a pair.  In the past, I would build these my self and sell them as finished cables.  Currently I don't have the time to finish them and thought that kits would be a good way for people to get their hands on an very nice and unique interconnect.

They feature:
ETI Copper Bullet plugs with aluminum shells
Neotech UP-OCC wire
Techflex wrap
Shrink wrap

Cable details - These cables have some very good qualities that I believe are due to the use of the Neotech EC-OCC wire which is enamel coated, Litz braided, OCC wire which is formed around a rectangular film and sleeved in cotton.  The ETI Copper Bullets are well reviewed and have a great reputation for good reasons. 

Here are some photos of the kits:

All the basic materials are included.  I will outline the process and useful tools in the build thread.

6 kits are packaged and ready to go.  They will ship in a nice sturdy box.

I have used a lot of wire and materials over time, but in order to keep prices reasonable you need to be purchasing supplies 100-1000 meters at a time. 

I love this stuff because it is so unique.  I asked about ordering in a lower gauge to build speaker wire and the reply was anything is possible if you order enough meters!

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm by HT cOz »

HT cOz

Re: Interconnect Kits
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2012, 05:21 am »
Here are the instructions in photos.

Pull the cotton back to revel the wire.  Notice the red color due to the enamel coating

Cut a small section of the rectangular poly core out

Round the cut so as to leave no sharp edges

The wire should now look like this

Apply flux to the bare wire

You need a hot solder iron +500f to burn the red enamel, notice the wire is now copper colored

Add solder to the wire and be sure to burn off any residue

Cut a very small amount of the insulation from the ground wire

You only want a little bit of wire exposed

I use a 25w iron to work on the plugs

and a 60w iron to burn the enamel coating

Plug the ETI connector into your throwaway player be sure to do it this way as the shell holds the delicate ground pin tight

Remove the shell to revel the wire points

Add solder to signal and ground pins

Now solder your pre-tinned wire to your tinned signal pins.  You want to go quick but give it enough heat to fully melt together

It should look good

Solder the pre-tinned ground wire to the pre-tinned ground pin

It should look nice and clean

Side note, this is how you get consistent cuts of tubing material

Now get your hot glue gun out.  Notice the solder pot in the background.  Also an excellent way to tin wires

Add hot glue to the joints.  Be sure to cover any shorting possibilities

Slide the flex wrap down to the connector

Slide the shrink tubing onto the flex wrap.  This is easier if you start with the flex tubing longer than the wires

Use heat gun to shrink the tubing.  Be sure not to melt the flex wrap

It should look like this

Attach the shell and screw tight

Secure the shell with hot glue.  A special hot glue gun helps a lot here!!! 

Action Shot  :lol:

Ok 1 down three to go!!!

Your done

« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2012, 11:27 pm by HT cOz »

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2012, 05:21 am »
Saved for reviews

Finished kit

ctk

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2012, 03:58 pm »
Alert here! I see Robert is moving out some of his 'Tranmontana' IC's as kit packages.... Just want to chirp in here to say I am a VERY satisfied and excited owner of a 4 foot set Robert made for me a few months back. So enamored with them, I have 2 more pairs on the way! These cables are justifiably on my top shelf level of performers that I have experienced over the years.

I own and use (and undeniably appreciate) Audio Note, Actinote, Crimson, and a half dozen or so other "very" well respected small manufacturer of cables. These Tranmontana's , along with one of the above mentioned, are the most involving and realistically detailed cables I have come across. Their performance, with  many of my sources, is exceptional... in some cases, sublime. If Tranmontana's were wine, I would probably rate them with the highest score on points of all my cables!
I know one cable is not the perfect fit for all devices/systems/rooms, but this one captures my attention where ever I have chosen to use it. Again, so much so, I have ordered more pairs. Just wish I had heard these much earlier on... they cost so little (even less in kit form) I could have saved some serious coin for more music.  :duh:
Water under my bridge.. but it does not need to be yours. Highly recommend these to anyone looking at cable up grade's. Seriously.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2012, 05:20 pm »
   Excellent  idea there. Best of luck. Brilliant !!!!!

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2012, 06:50 pm »
Looks like a bargain. I am sold on cotton dielectric. What's the red wire for?

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:20 pm »
The red wire connects to the ground pin. I made it solid core and small in order to easily connect to the small ETI ground pin.  You can see the very small ground pin of the ETI Bullet in this picture. This approach has worked very well.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:50 pm »
I just sent email order through your website.  Thanks,
Glynn Wilson

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:41 pm »
This Neotech EC-UPOCC wire is the best I've ever used, I am currently using it for both IC (24g) and SC (20g for my 5 wpc amp). It does take some care to terminate and stress relieve though...

For $75 I think you'll be getting one of the best ICs possible. I've built and tested a lot of ICs and I like this Neotech wire the best out of anything I've used so far.

walkern

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:23 pm »
Hey Robert,

I'd love to buy 1 of these kits.  I am still thrilled with the speaker wire you sold me a while back.  I sent an e-mail via your website, but haven't heard back yet.  Are you still working too hard!?

Neil

drmike

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:40 pm »
can these be used with xlr connectors?
thanks,
drmike

HT cOz

I added instructions with commentary.

I think these might be better than my speaker cables so for everyone who has my speaker cables and is happy this would be a nice addition  :thumb:

You can make these with XLR.  I Neutrik plugs in stock, but I am running short on wire.  If there is enough interest, I can always buy more wire.

Thanks,
Robert

walkern

Re: Interconnect Kits - UP-OCC, Rectangular, & Cotton Dialectic
« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2012, 02:30 am »
Hey Robert,

Thanks for adding the verbal instructions to the photos.  Is there any way to remove the enamel coating from the wire besides using flux and a hot iron?  If not, can you suggest where one could purchase the flux, and any recommendation about any particulars in terms of what to buy?  Obviously I've never used anything like that before (sorry for being such a duh!).

Looking forward to getting my kit shortly!

Neil

HT cOz

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:27 pm »
Neil thanks for posting your question as others may be wondering the same thing. Basically the flux pen is not entirely needed. If your iron is hot enough you will burn the enamel off and almost alll solder contains flux so that when you "tin" the wire it will get the flux from the solder. 

I find hot enough to be 500+F. Let me know if you have any other question.

Robert

walkern

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:36 pm »
Hey Robert,

Got my kit today!  WOO HOO!  I ordered one of them there flux pens (not capacitors) from Amazon (looked like the same brand as in your photo) so I'll be awaiting it's arrival before attempting the enamel burn.

Thanks for the speedy shipping!

Neil

HT cOz

I've got 2 kits left.

Big Red Machine

I'm game to try one.

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2013, 02:23 pm »
Send me your Paypal address and Ill send you an invoice. I think you'll be impressed with the results.

HT cOz

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2013, 03:24 am »
One kit is left. Its the star of the build photos.