Question about SCST and home theater

bryede

Question about SCST and home theater
« on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:54 pm »
If one were to purchase Supercharged SongTowers, what do you do for the rest of a HT setup? Are there Supercharged versions of the center or surrounds?

saeyedoc

Re: Question about SCST and home theater
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:58 pm »
If one were to purchase Supercharged SongTowers, what do you do for the rest of a HT setup? Are there Supercharged versions of the center or surrounds?
Yes, there is a supercharged version of the CC, I had them make me a custom sized one a few months ago. Uses the same drivers as the SCST. It was $1500 + upgrades if wanted.
Haven't seen any supercharged versions of the surrounds. email Jim, I'm sure he can hook you up.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:57 pm »

Surround duty is not all that critical.  While we could certainly do a version with the RAAL ribbon tweeter (and most likely will), it may be a bit of overkill for surround duty.  Surround speakers normally carry sound effects and ambient sound.  The regular SongSurround speakers would work extremely well for this.  In fact, for many years I had speakers almost identical to the SongSurround I's in my dedicated home theater.  While I obviously could have swapped them out for any speaker I wanted at any time, I never really felt the need.

That said, we have had quite a few requests to do a version of the SongSurround I's with the RAAL tweeter and are planning on doing so soon.  If someone felt the need to order this version, we would speed up the development process and finish them up in time to finish them with the other speakers in an HT system.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:58 pm »
Me personally, I'd get a Super-Charged SongCenter and regular (stock??? lol) SongSurrounds. 

bryede

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2012, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for the info. What I'm really doing is planning my next speaker upgrade (next year if things work out). I listen to maybe 85-90% 2ch music and the occasional movie or surround album. I think the best arrangement would be a pair of HT2-TL's, a supercharged SongCenter (due to space limitations), and a pair of normal SongSurrounds.

The really hard choice will be the finish. :)

Also, I gotta see if anyone in S. FL has HT2-TL's I can hear.

chargedmr2

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm »
Me personally, I'd get a Super-Charged SongCenter and regular (stock??? lol) SongSurrounds.

Nuance - I think the description you may have been searching for is "normally aspirated."  In fact I have a very nice pair of normally aspirated SongTowers, and eventually I do need to add a pair of NA SongSurounds to the mix. 

OK, back to the regular discussion...

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:43 am »
Nuance - I think the description you may have been searching for is "normally aspirated."  In fact I have a very nice pair of normally aspirated SongTowers, and eventually I do need to add a pair of NA SongSurounds to the mix. 

OK, back to the regular discussion...

Haha - nice. That's the term I was looking for. :-)