Peter's smokey silver, birds eye maple SoundScape 8's

jsalk

Peter wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's and looked for quite a while to find just the right veneer.  In the end, he settled on some bird's eye maple with some very unique figuring. 

He wanted them in a smokey silver finish, but not so dark as to obscure the wonderful figuring of the wood.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

These are currently on their way to Anchorage and Peter should have them shortly.

Happy listening Peter!

- Jim

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Peter's smokey silver, birds eye maple SoundScape 8's
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2012, 09:11 pm »

Thanks Jim!  Very much looking forward to receiving them.  They are currently on a barge between Seattle and Anchorage and should arrive Thurs or Fri.  The frustrating news is we are committed to visiting friends down on the Kasilof River this weekend, so I'll be floating while dreaming of being home! 

.......Peter

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm »
very elegant. like big blocks of granite.

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm »
Beautiful. If I have a dedicated HT then this is something that I would go for. Not to light or too dark. Congra Peter

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2012, 01:49 am »
Very nice choice of veneers & finish Peter. As ratso notes, very elegant. More stellar work Jim, the team just keeps raising the bar.   8)

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2012, 09:32 am »
Peter,
Great to see on they are on the way!  The finish looks very nice too!

John

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:48 pm »
That is a sharp looking pair of SS8's, Peter.  Congrats to you, and welcome to the Salk family!

pstrisik

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:05 pm »

Ahh, there you are Nuance.  I was waiting for your family welcome!

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.  Status shows that they arrived at the port of Anchorage last night (by barge).  They have to get to the trucking company who will call me to arrange delivery.  Still looks like Friday.

I know the monochrome finish is not for everyone.  I wrestled with the possibility of a natural wood finish, which I also find beautiful and actually preferable if taken out of context.  But I want to keep these a very long time and felt that this finish would always integrate well with any decor.  I also felt that the RAAL and Accuton driver frames integrated better with gray/black than on a lighter wood color (I would have gone mid to light in wood tone).  In any case, the most important factor is a perceptual sense of getting drawn in and lost in the grain pattern.  These hold that promise, from the photos anyway.  Can't wait to see them for real!  I will definitely post some photos and listening impressions.

I'm hoping to at least unbox them Friday morning and set them playing for break in while my wife and I head south to the Kenai Pennisula for some outdoor recreation.  While I would rather be home with the new babies, I will at least have comfort that the break in process is happening in one shot while I'm away and they will be ready for listening on our return.

Anyone want to buy a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 40's and CC-590?  :?  Probably not on this forum!  :lol:

........Peter

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:54 pm »
Ahh, there you are Nuance.  I was waiting for your family welcome!

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.  Status shows that they arrived at the port of Anchorage last night (by barge).  They have to get to the trucking company who will call me to arrange delivery.  Still looks like Friday.

I know the monochrome finish is not for everyone.  I wrestled with the possibility of a natural wood finish, which I also find beautiful and actually preferable if taken out of context.  But I want to keep these a very long time and felt that this finish would always integrate well with any decor.  I also felt that the RAAL and Accuton driver frames integrated better with gray/black than on a lighter wood color (I would have gone mid to light in wood tone).  In any case, the most important factor is a perceptual sense of getting drawn in and lost in the grain pattern.  These hold that promise, from the photos anyway.  Can't wait to see them for real!  I will definitely post some photos and listening impressions.

I'm hoping to at least unbox them Friday morning and set them playing for break in while my wife and I head south to the Kenai Pennisula for some outdoor recreation.  While I would rather be home with the new babies, I will at least have comfort that the break in process is happening in one shot while I'm away and they will be ready for listening on our return.

Anyone want to buy a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 40's and CC-590?  :?  Probably not on this forum!  :lol:

........Peter

You definitely made a great choice, Peter.  When do you and your wife plan to return?  Just gone for the weekend?

I look forward to your impressions.  Oh, and good luck on the Paradigm sale. :)

pstrisik

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:57 pm »

Thanks Nuance.  Just for the weekend.  We'll be back Sunday afternoon.  But... good news!  I called the trucking company and they are delivering today between 12:30 and 3:00 when I can get away from the office ( it is almost 12:00 here now ).  If it is earlier in that window, I'll be able to unbox them.  If later, it will be tonight.

Oh boy!   :eyebrows:

........Peter

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:35 pm »
^ Oh mama - now that's an unexpected surprise!  It's going to be a great night in the Strisik home (taking a shot in the dark that that is your last name)! :D

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:47 pm »
^ Oh mama - now that's an unexpected surprise!  It's going to be a great night in the Strisik home (taking a shot in the dark that that is your last name)! :D

Yah!  Probably a shot in the dusk though - pretty obvious.  :wink:

12:46 - not here yet

.........Peter

Update:  3:30 and no sign of 'em.   :evil:  Had to go back to the office.  But got a big apology from the trucking office and they said they will deliver at 6:30 tonight.   :D

« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2012, 11:38 pm by pstrisik »

pstrisik

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 02:41 am »

Drum roll................

They're here.  Boxes are intact - both on pallet and wrapped in plastic.  Great job Jim!  I'm going now to open 'em up.  Stay tuned!

..........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:15 am »
Well, I've got them set up but not hooked up.  They are beautiful, no question.  And they really are like blocks of granite they are so heavy.  I really like the half grill I had Jim make.  It's a bit late on a school night to hook them up as I know that I won't go to bed tonight if I do!

I took customary photos unpacking and will post more later.  Have to go to sleep now.  :|

On another note, my wife had a family emergency and we are not going down to the Kenai this weekend after all.  So I will have the weekend to play after all.  Sorry it was due to a sad event, but it is what it is.

Goodnight all......

..........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:06 pm »
Here are some photos of the SS8's arriving, unboxing, and setting up.  I'll be able to do some listening after work today.

Slideshow:
http://img593.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1onthetruck.jpg

Individual Images:

.........Peter

martyo

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:06 pm »
Very cool Peter. I'm getting excited just looking at the pic's. 8)

mark funk

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:22 pm »
Oh My, I remember when I got my HT2-TLs. On a Monday 7:30AM on the first day of two weeks off :thumb:
Well you are good, right? Well let it snow! Snowed in with SC8s works for me :thumb: Oh! don't for get the wife!!

:smoke:

stlblues

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:25 pm »
Absolutely stunning :thumb:
I think I'm a fan of the half grill might do that myself.
Crank em' up!

pstrisik

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm »
Oh My, I remember when I got my HT2-TLs. On a Monday 7:30AM on the first day of two weeks off :thumb:
Well you are good, right? Well let it snow! Snowed in with SC8s works for me :thumb: Oh! don't forget the wife!!
                                                                                :smoke:

I won't exactly be snowed in for awhile!  First snow is usually Oct/Nov.  August usually feels like our fall, but it has been more like summer this year still - for us that's 60-75 during the day.  Plenty warm for me.  :)

Absolutely stunning :thumb:
I think I'm a fan of the half grill might do that myself.
Crank em' up!

Glad you like that idea.  I may end up running even without that grill, but I definitely like the half grill more than the full grill.

Haven't cranked yet.  Let them run at low volume last night and slightly higher while at work today.  Just turning them up for a bit before I left hit me with what I might expect for bass.  Surprised me.

Only two and half hours to go before heading home!   :drool:

.......Peter

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm »
Peter, please let us know how you are enjoying them at your leisure.  Those are certainly beautiful.   DeVore uses something called mink bamboo on his larger models that looks similar and also very nice.