SAE 8000 Tuner - Analog with digital readout (SOLD)

TheChairGuy

SAE 8000 Tuner - Analog with digital readout (SOLD)
« on: 31 May 2004, 02:39 am »
Asking Price: $195.00 + shipping (18 lbs. from 94920 in CA)
New Retail $650.00  
Condition 7/10 Ship to US and Canada
Included Box, Manual,  Ship via UPS, FedEx
Pay Terms Money Order, Personal Check, PayPal

Item Description

SAE Model 8000 FM tuner. Built to military specs by the one of the better hi-end audio manufacturer of the 70's and early 80's. Machined aluminum case. Best available parts. Digits out on LED display (happens with near every unit I have read on the net and their are options to fix - I didn't care - it didn't hamper my enjoyment of it). Works perfectly. Nice performance. Will pull in most distant stations with a good antenna and most stations nicely anyhow with nothing more than a coax lead. With original box and manual.

The SAE 8000 FM tuner is one of the real sleepers in the realm of high quality FM tuners. It's rich sound with good sensitivity and selectivity. It's an early 80's analog tuner with digital frequency display. Although it has the digital frequency display, it has a wonderful analog knob for tuning. MINT black face with rack mountable ears. Front panel features selectible muting level, mute defeat, -10db level (for matching), stereo filter, switchable de-emphasis, mono/stereo and a single jack tape out. Rear includes, RCA Audio Outputs, RCA Oscilloscope Outputs, and RCA 4 channel MPX Output. Switches are a little gummy, but I can clean the contact up nicely before it sells. Again, it doesn't affect anything so I've left it. Knowing me, I'll probably clean it better than when I owned it for the new owner :>)

The unit is visually perfect...just some 'smudge' marks from sorbothane equipment 'puds' stacked on it over the years. It will probably come off with a good cleaner. Again, I'll absolutely clean this as it take nothing to do it...I just wanted prospective new owner to be aware. I snipped of the modular plug a few years ago (on purpose) and replaced with a $3 Lowe's plug. I heard no difference after doing it, but in the interest of full disclosure, there it is.

It's 3 rack spaces high and I need room in my equipment rack. I have a (smaller) SAE tuner that I picked up for a song long ago and it will go in it's place.

It's more than likely that you don;t know me, but all my equipment is in a clean, smoke free home and I am not happy unless we have a great transaction together.

It was a bought, by me, at Harmony House II in NYC on July 17, 1987 and is serial number 005095.

From www.fmtunerinfo.com:

SAE Mark VIII (1976, $650, black, silver) - Also known as the MK8, the Mark VIII was an FM-only tuner from Scientific Audio Electronics with an analog tuning knob, mechanical tuning capacitor and large red digital frequency display. The original version of the Mark VIII had a gold anodized faceplate, but a later version had a black anodized rack-mount faceplate. This black version was later sold as the SAE 8000, and all of our contributors believe that the tuners sold under the two model numbers were identical, inside and out. The Mark VIII/MK8/8000 has 5 gangs and 5 filters, is solidly built, and is very sensitive and quiet. It is also very selective, even in stock form, and SAE claimed a remarkable 120 dB alternate channel rejection in its 8000 literature. The Mark VIII/8000 does not have a wide/narrow IF bandwidth selector, but our contributor Tuck found its selectivity to be an “excellent compromise” and its adjacent channel rejection to be “far above average.” Our contributor Steve reports that it's quiet and well built, and is “very easy to work on with lots of room inside.” The Mark VIII used less-expensive parts than the Mark VIB and LEDs for the readout instead of Nixie tubes. Mike Zuccaro says that the Mark VIII/8000 “are completely redesigned, "cost down" tuners (though still fine units) that have nothing at all in common with the MK6 tuners, either in circuitry or construction. The MK8/8000 is prone to display problems, but reliable otherwise.” Mike points out that SAE put out a service bulletin to change the resistors feeding the LEDs to prevent them from burning out. Yet another contributor found the Mark VIII/8000 more sensitive and selective than a Kenwood KT-7500 in a side-by-side test. An unusual feature of the Mark VIII/8000 is a 1/4" phone plug output on the front panel, for taping or high-impedance headphones.

It's on Audiogon currently.  Thank you, TCG.

SOLD 6/11/04

Featured