what does 1500 US get you for Power conditioning

drummermitchell

what does 1500 US get you for Power conditioning
« on: 30 May 2012, 12:58 am »

A fellow opened his up to see what was inside,glad somebody finally took off those rivets.
Lots of nothing,some wire,receptacles,copper bars and looks like one TMOV.
10 audio had it right when he opened up a hydra 4.

TomS

Re: what does 1500 US get you for Power conditioning
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 01:18 am »
I find it amazing these guys think no one will ever pop the hood  :scratch:

It's why I actually read 6 Moons reviews occasionally. Not at all for the words, rather to see their very nice pictures of the component's exposed guts.

Just lifting my BPT 3.5, which is about the same price, it's obvious you're dealing with something very serious inside (~90 lb iso transformer). Meticulous attention to detail as well.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 01:51 am »
I bet it sounded good before your friend opened them up.  :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 01:55 am »
WOW, and that is one of those brands you always hear about.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 04:00 am »
Wow.....

TrungT

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 04:06 am »
Warranty Voided.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 04:32 am »
words out on Shunyata..... scammers to the core..... time to troll their local dealer

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 04:46 am »
reminds me of another thread about the Nordost Thor:

Interior pictures of the interior of Nordost Thor  Power Distribution Center ($3300), and the above text is Roy Gregory's review (Hi Fi+ Issue 35).

So 3k gets you a circuit board with a built in switching power supply :)...

lowtech

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 05:45 am »
This is precisely why the savvy shysters pot their power conditioners, although they are likely to tell you that it helps reduce vibration induced microphonics.   :wink:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 06:16 am »
My (bought used) Furman REF20i lists for $3,500. i paid $1,500 used via Audiogon, and was able to drive to pick up.
It has a very large toriod transformer in it, making up most of the 80plus pound of it's weight. That Toroid would cost alone at least $700. then it has a very large 'aumotive size' stiffening cap. another $200. retail.
So for my used price paid it was a good deal. New at list not so much.

I also have a PS Audio P600 regenerator, with the ability to alter the output A/C frequency (the actual reason i bought it)
Used $1,000 also via Agon also close enough to drive.
This item also a reasonable deal for what i got. Big standard transformer, plus huge heatsinks, transistors etc. I find it wonderful to be able to play with the output A/C frequency, and currently use it at 110Hz  for most of my digital stuff. Another 80lb monster.

Agree with original poster some stuff is just a rip-off. Including a few cables.
Some, Actually many cables are made with ultra high quality wire and parts. Other stuff no one who would look at it could justify the price.
For the OP. maybe the secrete IS in the little potted device. LOL
Anyway, the old adage: a fool and his money are soon parted ..applies double for audiophiles.

Ps i am a sucker for a lot of odd tweaks: Quartz crystals, cords etc.. but i try to just use raw materials and make my own crazy stuff if I can. I only use a $3 wall outlet as it is a good quality duplex.

Æ

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2012, 06:51 am »
A fellow opened his up to see what was inside, glad somebody finally took off those rivets.
Lots of nothing, some wire, receptacles, copper bars and looks like one TMOV.

I don't see anything inside that looks like "power conditioning," just surge protection. I only see a single Varistor (probably an MOV). Well, you could always add two more Varistors and get full three line surge protection. They'll cost you about $2 ea.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2012, 08:16 am by Æ »

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2012, 11:59 am »
This is precisely why the savvy shysters pot their power conditioners, although they are likely to tell you that it helps reduce vibration induced microphonics.   :wink:

Ding ding!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2012, 12:37 pm »
My (bought used) Furman REF20i lists for $3,500. i paid $1,500 used via Audiogon, and was able to drive to pick up.
It has a very large toriod transformer in it, making up most of the 80plus pound of it's weight. That Toroid would cost alone at least $700. then it has a very large 'aumotive size' stiffening cap. another $200. retail.
So for my used price paid it was a good deal. New at list not so much.

I also have a PS Audio P600 regenerator, with the ability to alter the output A/C frequency (the actual reason i bought it)
Used $1,000 also via Agon also close enough to drive.
This item also a reasonable deal for what i got. Big standard transformer, plus huge heatsinks, transistors etc. I find it wonderful to be able to play with the output A/C frequency, and currently use it at 110Hz  for most of my digital stuff. Another 80lb monster.

Agree with original poster some stuff is just a rip-off. Including a few cables.
Some, Actually many cables are made with ultra high quality wire and parts. Other stuff no one who would look at it could justify the price.
For the OP. maybe the secrete IS in the little potted device. LOL
Anyway, the old adage: a fool and his money are soon parted ..applies double for audiophiles.

Ps i am a sucker for a lot of odd tweaks: Quartz crystals, cords etc.. but i try to just use raw materials and make my own crazy stuff if I can. I only use a $3 wall outlet as it is a good quality duplex.

+1 on the Furman.   :thumb:

George

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2012, 01:02 pm »

A fellow opened his up to see what was inside,glad somebody finally took off those rivets.
Lots of nothing,some wire,receptacles,copper bars and looks like one TMOV.

In all fairness, it does appear to be neatly wired... :green:

D.D.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2012, 01:59 pm »
It's hard to tell which version you have in the picture. The front looks like model 2, the back looks like model 4, but the 20 amp capability looks like neither.

Not enough info to determine what we are really looking at. Can you be more specific?

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2012, 02:11 pm »
This is redunkulous!  I would be so peaved to have wasted my money on junk like that.   :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2012, 02:34 pm »
 :o

That is very scary! Guess you really need to research these things carefully and make sure that there is actually something that might really do something beneficial inside (and I thought Shunyata had a pretty decent reputation for these things!).

:o :o

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2012, 03:06 pm »
Interesting that the marketing blurb linked below shows something quite different inside, assuming this is actually a Hydra 6.

http://shunyata.com/Images/Downloads/Hydra6.4.pdf

On page 2, note the use of buss bars and some extra passive components (in yellow) on the backs of the outlets. Perhaps these are the "multi-element Venom noise filters".

Maybe there are just different versions out there.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2012, 03:24 pm »
Yes, it would be nice to have all of the facts before we pull the trigger.