I wasn't ready for this

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
I wasn't ready for this
« on: 5 May 2012, 01:16 pm »
I just bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W1000 phones.  I had read a few reports that were a bit mixed, so one of my true motivations was the beautiful wood cups.  Actually, they sound pretty good.  Not much in the way of deep bass, but a bit of a bump in the midbass, so pop that has heavier synth or bass lines, sounds pretty good anyway.  Wide soundstage, but not particularly deep  The midrange is clear and the highs just a bit toward the crisp side without emphasizing sibilants.  IOW...more toward the fun end of the spectrum than neutral.

What really surprised me was how the sound changed when I put a bit of padding behind the earpads. (they were a little flat...or squashed down from use)  I put it in there to keep my ears from touching the drivers and with a bit of padding the comfort was great.  What changed the most, was the sound.  The bass was deeper and louder throughout.  Almost a bit much, in fact.  The lowest bass was  still not there...but the bass from guitars, and tympani took on almost a "big hall" or reverberant quality.  I was not prepared for how much the sound changed from about 3/8" of extra depth in the cup.

So...reduced the padding by half, ears still off the drivers and loving these things hooked to a headroom supreme driven by a logitech transporter.
Hibuck....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: I wasn't ready for this
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2012, 03:23 pm »
Its amazing how much you can change the sound of many, many cans by just doing little things. When I was modding those Grado's last year every time I did something the sound changed. Do the AT's utilize the wooden ear cups or is that just ornamental?? :thumb:

hibuckhobby

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2012, 03:34 pm »
Wood cups...nice finish too
BTW...box is "in the mail"
Hibuck...

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2012, 03:41 pm »
what did you use to do the mod and how did you do it.  I know it sounds simple, but humour me, i'm a simple person.  I have the W5000s and am not happy with how they sit right on my ears

hibuckhobby

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2012, 04:14 pm »
VERY scientific.  rolled up a kleenex...the long way,  lifted up the
inner lip on the pad and tucked it in there, making sure it didn't
cover the driver.  It also lowers the highs a little by moving driver
a little farther away.  Hey...if you don't like it...it's easy to take out.
Hibuck...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 04:40 pm »
I just did the Kleenex mod to my AT200's and it definitely makes them sound better. More Bass, and general low end...I wonder if we try different matterial what effect it would have....LOL.......cotton maybe??? It does help for sure..good one Hibuck!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: