Extreme slow throughput with BDP-1 hosted file shares

Marius

Re: Extreme slow throughput with BDP-1 hosted file shares
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2012, 05:35 pm »
Hi Chris,

to prevent any problems I changed it into CbcTimeCapsule.....

the only space is now left in the path to the music files:
location= /Volumes/Data/Bestanden Marijn
server= afp://CbcTimeCapsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Data/Bestanden Marijn/Muziek

makes any sense to you? what would this mean for the script?

the hdd attached to the time capsule has another path to it, i believe a smb indeed, but I will have to check later for you.

Thanks again,
M

btw the bdp1 hangs right now displaying 'NAS'.... after unsuccessfully trying another, windows, share.

Hi Marius,

Sorry for not being more clear, no underscores but you do have to place a forward slash (\) in front of each space ie (/volumes/data/name\ myname/muziek).  Also is the time capsule sharing your audio files via Apples AFP protocol or SMB (aka samba aka windows share)?  I don't believe i have installed the packages needed for afp as of yet, as when i started this project i wanted to concentrate on one protocol at a time.  Because smb was available on both windows and mac's i thought i would start with it.  Also i am going to ask James about getting a time capsule in as i'm sure many of our users have one and we do want to test with an assorted number of devices.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2012, 01:24 am »
Hi Marius,

Judging by the information you have posted your time capsule is sharing the volume via afp rather then samba.  This would make sense as it is an apple product.  I would check to see if the time capsule has the ability to share the same info via samba.  I imagine it does.   The bdp-1 doesn't have the needed software to connect tO an afp share.  I will see about adding the necessary packages in the next beta.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2012, 07:20 am »
Great Thanks!

I have a hdd attached to the Timecapsule, in Finder it has these settings:
location /Volumes/ITUNESHDD
server smb://CbcTimeCapsule._smb._tcp.local/ITUNESHDD/iTunes

Could I reach that in MAx2? It is visible (and grey) in Max Nas settings. How would I have to change the startup script? Since it is always way faster in copying/reading files to than the hdd's attached to the BDp1, I hope it will suffice in transfer speed for file playing too.

This would be a great solution for the time being.

Marius

Hi Marius,

Judging by the information you have posted your time capsule is sharing the volume via afp rather then samba.  This would make sense as it is an apple product.  I would check to see if the time capsule has the ability to share the same info via samba.  I imagine it does.   The bdp-1 doesn't have the needed software to connect tO an afp share.  I will see about adding the necessary packages in the next beta.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2012, 04:24 pm »
Hi Marius,

Try the following, you will need to provide a username and password.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

mkdir /tmp/mnt
sleep 1
mount -t smbfs -o username=<username>,password=<password>,uid=106 \\\\CbcTimeCapsule._smb._tcp.local\\ITUNESHDD /tmp/mnt
sleep 1
ln -s "/tmp/mnt/iTunes" /media/NAS
sleep 1
mpc update NAS
sleep 1
frontscreen.sh NAS_ENABLED

One this is saved/applied, try connecting to the bdp-1 via ssh and enter this command into the command line

"/mnt/img/script"

It should provide some feedback, please post this feedback if it still isn't working.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2012, 06:56 am »
o dear, how do I do that again....? connect to the bdp-1 via ssh?

btw, I did enter the script, without success though, and still have the Unknown-etcetc drive listed in max2. Also, if I use the VFP, I can see these drives with a little folder icon in front of them, and see NAS with a little music note?

After trying to play that NAS, the hdd leds are lit constantly, the BDP-1 (both in the VFP and the real Front Panel) hangs and is only to be rebooted, which can be done through the settings in MAX1.

So something is happening alright, hope we can get it to complete...

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

try connecting to the bdp-1 via ssh and enter this command into the command line

"/mnt/img/script"

It should provide some feedback, please post this feedback if it still isn't working.

Cheers,
Chris

terrycym

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
I use Putty on Windows - credenials - root/bryston
I believe you use a Mac Marius in which case I hope this means something to you...
http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/1599/Using+SSH+in+Terminal.app+%28Mac+OS+X%29#gs

Enjoy!
Terry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2012, 09:07 pm »
hi marius,

open the terminal program on your mac computer and enter the following command

ssh root@bryston-bdp-1.local

it may then ask you to confirm a key, simply enter "yes"

the password is "bryston" without the quotes

finally run

/mnt/img/script

copy the contents of the terminal window and post them.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2012, 02:20 pm »
here you go:

Marius

hi marius,

copy the contents of the terminal window and post them.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2012, 02:27 pm »
It did, thanks Terry.
Marius
I use Putty on Windows - credenials - root/bryston
I believe you use a Mac Marius in which case I hope this means something to you...
http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/1599/Using+SSH+in+Terminal.app+%28Mac+OS+X%29#gs

Enjoy!
Terry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi Marius,

Sorry about the long delay i've been super busy at work these last couple of work days.  Sounds like the bdp-1 is unable to resolve the zero config dns name.  I'm assuming your using the default ip address scheme and i'm reaching back many many years back to my apple tech support says that the default ip address for an airport or time capsule is 10.0.1.1.  So try changing your startup script to this.

#!/bin/bash

mkdir /tmp/mnt
sleep 1
mount -t smbfs -o username=<username>,password=<password>,uid=106 \\\\10.0.1.1\\ITUNESHDD /tmp/mnt
sleep 1
ln -s "/tmp/mnt/iTunes" /media/NAS
sleep 1
mpc update NAS
sleep 1
frontscreen.sh NAS_ENABLED

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2012, 02:45 pm »
Hi Chris,

trying your last post right now, I see that in the new firmware the NAs-settingspage in Settings is gone?
Please confirm as I had strange behavior before switching firmware versions.

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:04 pm »
Hi Chris,

trying your last post right now, I see that in the new firmware the NAs-settingspage in Settings is gone?
Please confirm as I had strange behavior before switching firmware versions.

Marius

Hi Marius,

Yes NAS settings are gone as we are continuing to work on it.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #32 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:31 am »
Hi Marius,

It's not that it's gone, what I have done is hidden the feature unless the bdp-1 is placed in developer mode.  Once placed in developer mode you will get the NAS page back, search feature in max 2 and direct root access to the file system via samba.  developer mode can be enabled by using the startup script in the settings page.  I will post the code needed Monday, if I forget just shoot me a pm.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:48 am »
Hi James, Chris,

Thanks. Understandably you took it out right now, and great to hear you're working on it. Be glad to test the BDP1 in developer-mode  :thumb:

Keep up the good work!
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:18 pm »
Hi Marius,

echo dev > /mnt/img/dev
reboot.sh

once the bdp-1 is backup and running you may need to refresh the pages in order to see the features still under development

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2012, 04:15 pm »
Hi Chris,

That worked. To be sure: i entered the commands in Terminal, not the startup script as you wrote one post earlier.
That all right?

Marius

Hi Marius,

echo dev > /mnt/img/dev
reboot.sh

once the bdp-1 is backup and running you may need to refresh the pages in order to see the features still under development

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:53 am »
Hi Marius,

Correct, infancy if you did enter those exact commands into your startup script you would have effectively bricked your bdp-1 as it would reboot as soon as the firmware started up.

Cheers
Chris