Hypex NCore question and answers

rave959

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #300 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:44 pm »
Hello guys, sorry for the delay... jason offered help and I will take him up on it.  Mike, Anand, jmbulg, et al - thank you so much for your help!

- Christian

PS - just to answer questions, I have since connected pin 1 to the chassis as well after this picture was taken.

jmbulg

« Reply #301 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:51 pm »
As far as I can see xlr are connected correctly.
Did you try with only using a single amp at one time and/or a mono signal to check if the phases are correct (you could also just invert the loudspeaker connection on one channel to make sure) ?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #302 on: 14 Jul 2012, 02:19 pm »
Christian,
What is that adapter or extender on the XLR?  Looks like a phase reverse adapter to me, but that would be too obvious.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #303 on: 14 Jul 2012, 02:58 pm »
Christian,
What is that adapter or extender on the XLR?  Looks like a phase reverse adapter to me, but that would be too obvious.
I'm sending him a pair of cables to try that I just tested in my system....

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #304 on: 14 Jul 2012, 05:54 pm »
Maybe I am wrong but I thought Bruno said the speaker wire connections on the amp module must be from the same side of each screw post. From the photos above it looks like they are not connected per the prescribed instructions. Below is a copy of Jason's and in the photo you can see that the amp on the right has the wires from the same side of both screws. If I am correct, then maybe that could be causing the problem. 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/vendors-bazaar/291489d1342227908-hypex-ncore-closeup.jpg

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #305 on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:00 pm »
Yes, he has corrected all those issues after this posting.  I think he has a cable issue.  I've already sent him some RCA > XLR cables to try.  If not, the amp will be shipped to me and I'll get him sorted.  At least I can try the amp in my system and rule it out or fix it.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #306 on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:11 pm »
Wow Jason, yu da man!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #307 on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Wow Jason, yu da man!
Nope.  Just trying to help someone.

rave959

« Reply #308 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:26 am »
Yep - he is da man!   :D

Christian

Airborn

« Reply #309 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:56 pm »

Documentation says: (colors of cables are those mentionned on dyaudio, but I would not like to rely on cable color solely)

Connector J9 -------------------------------------- xlr connector

Pin1: audio signal (red) ----------------------------> Pin 2
Pin2: inverted signal (clear) ------------------------> Pin 3
Pin3: nAmpon (black) ------------------------------>| Pin 1
Pin4: shield/signal ground (yellow) -----------------> | Pin 1

Unfortunately the placement/numbering of pins on J9 (Section 11.2) is ambiguous on figure 2. Example, pin 1 on J9 (bottom right when looking front) should be connected to audio signal, but when I looked first at figure 2, for me bottom/right is the one in which the blue wire is connected, which is inverted audio as it goes to xlr-pin3.

I think the reason of my misunderstanding is that I interprete the connector as being visually bended (2 and 1 near to the border and 4 and 3 on top being pushed to the right to see them as on a Picasso painting), so I read
2 4
1 3
whereas Bruno sees it probably as on the map for pin connectors (while the plate below is turned differently) so he reads
4 3
2 1
this seem to be coherent with the connections on Figure 2.

So now I am confused whereas before I thought the  placement/numbering of the Pins on J9 was clear from the picture in figure 2 in section 11.2 of the Hypex data sheet, which to me shows a clear indication that the numbering is:
4 3
2 1
as you look at J9 from the direction the cable is plugged into the connector on the module.  However, there is no RED wire on my J9 connector.  My wires line up like this:
4-Yellow(shield) 3-Black (nampon)
2-White  1-Blue
This appears to make my Blue wire connected to Pin 1 on J9 which is supposed to be the audio signal and should be RED? Per above, the Blue wire is inverted audio and should go to Pin 3 on the XLR but instead mine goes to Pin 2 on the XLR? 

A picture of my J9 connection wire is attached.  As you can see, from the top of the pic. there is a white wire, a blue wire, the braided shield wire and the black nampon.  Where is the RED audio wire?  Any clarification is appreciated.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #310 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:59 pm »
A picture of my J9 connection wire is attached.  As you can see, from the top of the pic. there is a white wire, a blue wire, the braided shield wire and the black nampon.  Where is the RED audio wire?  Any clarification is appreciated.
It just looks as though the wire colors have changed.  Not a problem at all. 

Airborn

« Reply #311 on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for the quick response Jason.  That's what I assumed, but I got a little confused by the discussion quoted above.  Am I correct that the  configuration of the pins on J9 and their XLR connections is as follows (looking at the Ncore module from the orientation of where J9 is connected and using the new color wires):

J9 Pin 4-Yellow (Shield)-Connects to XLR Pin 1                  J9 Pin 3-Black (nampon)- Connects to Chassis/ground

J9 Pin 2-White(inverted audio)-Connects to XLR Pin 3         J9 Pin 1-Blue(Audio signal)-Connects to XLR Pin 2

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #312 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:00 pm »
It's hard for me to say if that's correct as I don't know where those colored wires are located in the molex connector. 

It's best for you to just ohm check each pin / wire and then you will have it.

Posting it for all the new people would be nice too.   :thumb:

jmbulg

« Reply #313 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick response Jason.  That's what I assumed, but I got a little confused by the discussion quoted above.  Am I correct that the  configuration of the pins on J9 and their XLR connections is as follows (looking at the Ncore module from the orientation of where J9 is connected and using the new color wires):

J9 Pin 4-Yellow (Shield)-Connects to XLR Pin 1                  J9 Pin 3-Black (nampon)- Connects to Chassis/ground

J9 Pin 2-White(inverted audio)-Connects to XLR Pin 3         J9 Pin 1-Blue(Audio signal)-Connects to XLR Pin 2

Pin connections seem ok. As for the colours, obviously they changed and expecting something like this, it is why I said not to rely on the color.

Occam

« Reply #314 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm »

Airborn,

It appears that the balanced input cabling provided with your Ncores is different from the Mogami w2791 provided with Jason's and my supplied harness's. Would you please post what is printed on your signal cabling?

TIA,
Paul

Airborn

« Reply #315 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:22 pm »
Pin connections seem ok. As for the colours, obviously they changed and expecting something like this, it is why I said not to rely on the color.
Yep, I agree, not blaming you at all for my confusion jmbulg.  I was just surprised Hypex changed the signal wire from red to blue when blue used to be (and usually is) the negative.  That sure made things confusing for me. :scratch:
It appears that the balanced input cabling provided with your Ncores is different from the Mogami w2791 provided with Jason's and my supplied harness's. Would you please post what is printed on your signal cabling?
Paul,
I am at work right now so I can't check the type of signal cable provided with my modules until tonight. I will also do the ohm check and hopefully wire up at least one monoblock tonight and post the rests.  Thanks for the help.
Steve

Airborn

« Reply #316 on: 17 Jul 2012, 07:39 am »
Ok got one monoblock working but didn't have time to put the other together. The balanced signal cable is indeed not the Mogami cable earlier purchasers received.  This cable is stamped on the jacket "hypex electronics QuietConduit low-noise balanced audio cable."  So it appears hypex is now making the balanced signal cables itself.  I don't know if this is because of supply issues with the Mogami cable or why they switched.  In any case the connectors are as described above, i.e., J9 pin 4 is the yellow shield wire and goes to xlr pin 1, J9 pin 3 is the black nampon wire and goes to chassis/ground, J9 pin 2 is the white inverted audio wire and goes to xlr pin 3 and J9 pin 1 is the blue audio signal that goes to xlr pin 2.  Hope this helps.

Even one channel sounds good; can't wait until I have time to fully complete both amps. :thumb:

rave959

« Reply #317 on: 17 Jul 2012, 08:52 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a quick update.  It turns out that 2 pairs of my xlr to rca were the culprit.  When I received Jason's XLR to RCA cables, all were good!  I wanted to thank all the guys who have tried to help out here on AC for you all are a valuable resource.  Jason - thanks so much for your help and time.   :thumb:

Sincerely,
Christian

PS - I actually got this done last night, but since I had it working - I had to enjoy and listen first.  For a couple of hours.    :dance:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #318 on: 17 Jul 2012, 09:15 pm »
Glad it's all working properly now.

Occam

« Reply #319 on: 17 Jul 2012, 09:55 pm »
...The balanced signal cable is indeed not the Mogami cable earlier purchasers received.  This cable is stamped on the jacket "hypex electronics QuietConduit low-noise balanced audio cable."  So it appears hypex is now making the balanced signal cables itself.  I don't know if this is because of supply issues with the Mogami cable or why they switched.

Airborn,

Thanks for the response. No one has a problem sourcing Mogami 2791. I can only hope that the actual manufacturer the new cable for Hypex, is providing cable superior to that Mogami.

Regards,
Paul