• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: NCore Technical Info
« Reply #280 on: 17 Jun 2012, 07:23 pm »

bruno

• Industry Participant
« Reply #281 on: 18 Jun 2012, 12:48 pm »
As for the question where the modules are made.   :dunno:  Maybe someone that knows can chime in.
Slovakia. Some of the OEM stuff is done in a European run factory in China.

Nothing stops determined pirates. Certainly no potting compound. Actually the best copy protection we have is precisely the fact that the circuit is all-discrete. Get one trace wrong: trouble. Get one part wrong: also no worky good, if at all. A customer told us he found some Chinese trying to knock off the UcD700OEM design and admitting they couldn't get their copy to work.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #282 on: 19 Jun 2012, 07:16 pm »
Slovakia. Some of the OEM stuff is done in a European run factory in China.

Nothing stops determined pirates. Certainly no potting compound. Actually the best copy protection we have is precisely the fact that the circuit is all-discrete. Get one trace wrong: trouble. Get one part wrong: also no worky good, if at all. A customer told us he found some Chinese trying to knock off the UcD700OEM design and admitting they couldn't get their copy to work.
Thanks!   :thumb:

revelinhifi

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #283 on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm »
Hello Team

Please can someone advise the expected wait delivery time for NC400, how long was it from order to your delivery?
I ordered 2 NC400 and 2 SMPS 600 looking forward to them arriving  :D

kindest regards
John

revelinhifi

« Reply #284 on: 5 Jul 2012, 05:48 am »
I meant the post I created.

my NC400's have been sent by Hypex now

rave959

« Reply #285 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:57 pm »
Hello,

I finally built my Ncores with HtCoz's dual mono chassis.  My experience, however mirrors this person's post on DIYAudio with link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-461.html

/begin quote:

Having an issue with a pair of Ncore modules I am building for a friend.

There's no bass. It's almost as if there's a 6dB high pass filter above 100hz. The gain on the amp is also fairly low. With high sensitivity speakers I have to turn the volume fairly high to get it to a normal listening levels.

A few notes:
1. I designed linear power supplies for the modules.
2. The issue happens with both SMPS and Linear PS. The distortion on the top end is worse with the SMPS, but the bass reproduction faces the same issue.
3. The unit is wired for balanced operation, but I am using an RCA to XLR cable wired per the datasheet.
4. The speakers I'm using have a very high QTS of .95 and are full-range crossoverless (I think I read some comments somewhere about this).
5. The amplifier plays 'music' and LEDs light up as they should.
6. The issue is the same in both channels.
7. No crackles, pops, clicks, hums, or noise

/end quote

Except for the following - I have the default SMPS 600 power supplies and have the Gedlee Abbey 12A speakers.  I heard Jason's Ncores through the tour and mine sound nowhere near it.  Mine is bright and the output is low.  The amp works as it should with all the lights on and no hum or hiss.  Any help is appreciated.  :cry:

Thanks,
Christian

PS - I'm also using the same preamp I used during the tour - the superphon passive pre.

genjamon

« Reply #286 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:45 pm »
I had a strange thing going last week. When I first turned on the system, the volume was a lot lower at normal preamp settings for the first minute or two, then suddenly it went back to normal. As I had cranked the volume control to compensate, I had to rush to turn the now very loud system back to normal volume setting. It did it consistently over the course of two days, both channels the same each time. I have full monoblocks that were plugged directly into the wall, with the rest of the system into a battery backup power conditioner.

the last time it happened, I noticed the power conditioner activated in some way. It was really weird, because the amps didn't drop out completely and power to the circuit was clearly still there. Well, I suspected the conditioner might be malfuctioning and just plugged everything into a power strip instead. I have had no issues since that time, but with only a couple listening sessions since then. I'm away from home on a business trip right now.

This latest post now has me wondering whether it was, in fact, the power conditioner... I haven't had a chance to fully test or see if the phenomenon repeats itself with the power conditioner now out of the picture.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #287 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:17 am »
Snip...

I heard Jason's Ncores through the tour and mine sound nowhere near it.  Mine is bright and the output is low.  The amp works as it should with all the lights on and no hum or hiss.  Any help is appreciated.  :cry:

Thanks,
Christian

PS - I'm also using the same preamp I used during the tour - the superphon passive pre.

I'd contact Hypex and see what they have to say. It may be something they're familiar with. Hopefully an easy fix...

rave959

« Reply #288 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:48 am »
Hey Barry_NJ,

I did.  I really hope it's an easy fix.  Thank you.

- Christian

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #289 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:53 am »
Hey Barry_NJ,

I did.  I really hope it's an easy fix.  Thank you.

- Christian
Do you have the red wire on the input harness to pin #2 on the XLR? 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #290 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:01 am »
one more thing while I think of it.

Make sure all connections on the NC400 are seated.  It's pretty easy to plug them in but they're not seated all the way.

rave959

« Reply #291 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:02 am »
Hi Jason,

Yes, I have the red wire on pin #2.  Thank you.

rave959

« Reply #292 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:09 am »
I checked the connections again and they're pretty snug.  The connections are also twisted with tie wraps, except for the speaker wires because it doesn't need to be.  I remember when I had your amp, Jason, the superphon preamp would be at about 9 or 10 o'clock position and it would be pretty loud on the Abbeys.  Now I have it at 1 o'clock and it's only the highs that are loud.  And I have to tone the sub (I have 3, but currently have 1 connected) because it's too loud.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #293 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:11 am »
You do have 1 & 3 connected right?

Is phase correct?  + speaker terminal is the one closest to the outside of the NC400.  See my picture above.

mgalusha

« Reply #294 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:50 am »
rave959,

Is there any possibility the speaker binding posts are touching the metal of the chassis and creating a partial short? This would cause problems like you are having.

Some close up photos of the input and other wiring might help us. Hard to imagine both amps having the same defect.

mike

rave959

« Reply #295 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:19 am »
rave959,

Is there any possibility the speaker binding posts are touching the metal of the chassis and creating a partial short? This would cause problems like you are having.

Some close up photos of the input and other wiring might help us. Hard to imagine both amps having the same defect.

mike

Hi Mike,

Here are some photos:

The case is anodized.  Also, the WBT-like binding posts have some sort of "inner sleeve" tube to prevent contact.

Thank you,
- Christian

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #296 on: 13 Jul 2012, 05:00 am »
This probably won't make much of a difference but...make sure on the right side of your enclosure that you redress your output wiring so it doesn't float right over the output inductor. I take it that you have checked and rechecked that continuity is excellent between the designated areas that need to have continuity! I would double check for shorts even with an anodized case as Mike suggests.

The audio input is differential. This means that ground is not part of the audio signal. When
connecting an unbalanced source, treat pins 1 and 2 as a floating input with pin 2 being the “audio
ground” of the source. Pin 4 may be used to attach the shield of a shielded twisted pair cable, but the
“audio ground” connection of an unbalanced source should never connect here.

On J9, make sure you are carefully following the Pin number designations (as stated in Figure 11.2) and how they connect to the XLR pins. Figure 2 on page 12 can be a bit confusing.

Remember Pin 1 on J9 is the non-inverting audio input (+) which connects with Pin 2 on the XLR; Pin 2 on J9 is the inverting audio input (-) which connects with Pin 3 on the XLR and Pin 4 on J9 connects to your chassis.

Anand.

jmbulg

« Reply #297 on: 13 Jul 2012, 07:55 am »
Picture is not sufficiently clear for me to see the XLR connectors: which cable is connected to pin 1? It should be the shield cable (and not the inverted signal of the clear cable). A just mentioned in the previous mail figure 2 on page 12 is somewhat ambiguous.

When I prepared my connectors waiting for the ncore and needed quite some time to find a coherent explanation for the J9 to XLR connections in a fully balanced mode without special switch-on button:

Documentation says: (colors of cables are those mentionned on dyaudio, but I would not like to rely on cable color solely)

Connector J9 -------------------------------------- xlr connector

Pin1: audio signal (red) ----------------------------> Pin 2
Pin2: inverted signal (clear) ------------------------> Pin 3
Pin3: nAmpon (black) ------------------------------>| Pin 1
Pin4: shield/signal ground (yellow) -----------------> | Pin 1

Unfortunately the placement/numbering of pins on J9 (Section 11.2) is ambiguous on figure 2. Example, pin 1 on J9 (bottom right when looking front) should be connected to audio signal, but when I looked first at figure 2, for me bottom/right is the one in which the blue wire is connected, which is inverted audio as it goes to xlr-pin3.

I think the reason of my misunderstanding is that I interprete the connector as being visually bended (2 and 1 near to the border and 4 and 3 on top being pushed to the right to see them as on a Picasso painting), so I read
2 4
1 3
whereas Bruno sees it probably as on the map for pin connectors (while the plate below is turned differently) so he reads
4 3
2 1
this seem to be coherent with the connections on Figure 2.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #298 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm »
jmbulg,

Precisely my point.

Anand.

DS-21

« Reply #299 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:37 pm »
rave959,

Every time I look in the NCore forum, I find myself surprised that so many of you guys are using second-rate speaker jacks on these bleeding-edge amps. Why do binding posts even still exist, when the Speakon is so abjectly superior in every material way? (Well, to some being cheaper is a negative rather than a positive, I suppose.)